lucas in my tranny a good idea? - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Transmission alley

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2005, 05:33 AM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 4 reviews
Default lucas in my tranny a good idea?

a couple of years ago, I had the tranny in my old eg go bad. when it was on its last leg i put some lucas oil stabilzer in it to shut it up. it made a huge difference for about 3 weeks, then i finally lost 3rd gear, new tranny time.

but that was then, now im running syncromesh (gm) in my tranny, doing fine. my question: is it a good idea to put some lucas in with my syncro. to aid in protection, or is it a bad idea.

any comments on tranny fluids are welcome, i know theres a running debate on proper fluids.

PS. the tranny is d15b7 95 sedan if it makes any diff.
d-dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2005, 06:17 AM   #2 (permalink)
bspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-dog
i put some lucas oil stabilzer in it to shut it up. it made a huge difference for about 3 weeks, then i finally lost 3rd gear, new tranny time.
Read this comparison of Lucas to a special blend/oil microbrew.
bob's test The website is the largest community of automotive fluid comparison you will ever find, everything from coolant to motorcycle transmission oil is discussed/ argued over/ and tested.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2005, 07:30 AM   #3 (permalink)

cool stuff

Old 12-28-2005, 11:09 AM   #4 (permalink)

so whats best, stick with syncromesh or is there better, I dog my stuff a lot
Old 12-28-2005, 12:37 PM   #5 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

custom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussie

what about honda's manual tranny fluid?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
There's two things in life you never want people to know about you...
1. You know how to work on cars.
2. You know how to work on computers.

You my friend are cursed with this info being out in the open.
^ little truth ^

R.I.P. Milo
R.I.P. PatPrimmer
custom_junky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2005, 04:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
bspeed

If your trans is in great shape then Honda MTF is the best, if it's a little sloppy then the synchromesh is great too. There is some Honda Rally racer that swears on
Type-F automatic fluid with 3oz of Moly additive.... but that is that guy.
Old 12-29-2005, 05:46 AM   #7 (permalink)

interesting, I suppose ill mabey do a half syncromesh, half honda mtf. whataya think?
Old 12-29-2005, 06:04 AM   #8 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

custom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussie

something tells me that mixing synchomesh with the honda stuff is probably a bad idea...but i'm not 100% on that...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
There's two things in life you never want people to know about you...
1. You know how to work on cars.
2. You know how to work on computers.

You my friend are cursed with this info being out in the open.
^ little truth ^

R.I.P. Milo
R.I.P. PatPrimmer
custom_junky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2005, 07:16 AM   #9 (permalink)

word, anyone else
Old 12-29-2005, 07:52 AM   #10 (permalink)
bspeed

just use one or the other.
Old 12-30-2005, 12:31 AM   #11 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-dog
interesting, I suppose ill mabey do a half syncromesh, half honda mtf. whataya think?
good idea.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2006, 05:14 AM   #12 (permalink)

good idea... I thought so.
one of my friends, a mustang driver, says a trick among mustangers is to add a little syncromesh to their atf ! sounds stupid doesnt it. but that gave me the idea. I just want the best for my tranny until i can afford a eg ex tranny. thanks for the input bone.
Old 01-02-2006, 08:11 AM   #13 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 DontSaveHer will become famous soon enoughDontSaveHer will become famous soon enoughDontSaveHer will become famous soon enough
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

Off all the times i have used lucas my oil never frothed or bubbled.
DontSaveHer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2006, 10:42 AM   #14 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 rkcarguySI will become famous soon enoughrkcarguySI will become famous soon enoughrkcarguySI will become famous soon enough
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

I use 25% climbing lube(red and white bottle with checkers-not lucas-don't remember the brand) along with regular synthetic motor oil. Seems to work great and doesn't foam. The climbing gear lube seems to help the spider gears from seizing, I've had several honda's and my 1st one the spider gears were seizing to the diff pin when I took it apart to install a SI final drive. I changed the diff and ran climbing lube and haven't had problems since then in 2 cars both turbocharged. The pin/spider gears are still weak and a LSD is the real solution as transzex said earlier, but it at least keeps the tranny together longer. I wouldn't run it in my engine, but I don't think the tranny spins fast enough to foam the oil. I wish bobs test would do a wear test with the different oils, the lucas may be better even if it foams because it sticks to everything.
rkcarguySI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2006, 11:24 AM   #15 (permalink)

I relize that fluid usage is a running debate, but I just wanna be educated on my options and what works best from other peoples experiences. I want you all to know how much I appreciate your help and input on this subject. so, what else is out there?
Old 01-03-2006, 02:42 AM   #16 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

ok, is there anyone as abusive on 92-95 trannys as me? Really if your are please explain.

Honda MTL
5w30 motor oil
Pennzoil Synchomesh

Honestly on a good tranny, never noticed a difference between the three,

When cold the 5w30 OWNS, no issues getting into gear. The Kaaz LSD LOVES the Synchromesh, no more clutch pack chatter, but is it just my clutch pack at 50k miles is worn out? Still has WOT throttle apex push so it is locking up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2006, 06:45 AM   #17 (permalink)

yea, i believe that about the fluids, when i went from oil to syncro, I noticed little difference, a bit smoother, but thats about it.
Old 01-03-2006, 11:02 AM   #18 (permalink)
bspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by transzex
on a good tranny, never noticed a difference between the three
AMEN
Old 01-04-2006, 06:42 PM   #19 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 16 shifty35 is a name known to allshifty35 is a name known to allshifty35 is a name known to allshifty35 is a name known to allshifty35 is a name known to allshifty35 is a name known to allshifty35 is a name known to allshifty35 is a name known to allshifty35 is a name known to allshifty35 is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 8 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by transzex
ok, is there anyone as abusive on 92-95 trannys as me? Really if your are please explain.

Honda MTL
5w30 motor oil
Pennzoil Synchomesh

Honestly on a good tranny, never noticed a difference between the three,

When cold the 5w30 OWNS, no issues getting into gear. The Kaaz LSD LOVES the Synchromesh, no more clutch pack chatter, but is it just my clutch pack at 50k miles is worn out? Still has WOT throttle apex push so it is locking up.
Have you had a chance to try 5w20 yet? I've seen it also on the shelves.

Also, one of my friends who just did a rebuild put in some wierd wierd fluid... he showed it to me, it was green and super thick. Took like 30 seconds to come out of inverted bottle. I think it was made by redline. Ever heard of it?
'90 Mazda Miata - Weekend Fun Car
'04 Toyota Prius - Wife / family car
shifty35 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2006, 07:12 AM   #20 (permalink)
bspeed

whatever it is you don't want something that thick in your honda trans.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in