1999 D16Y7 Manual Tranny Problems - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Transmission alley

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2005, 03:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
Ohh...Uhh...

Default 1999 D16Y7 Manual Tranny Problems

As the title says, I have a 1999 Civic Dx with a manual tranny.

I've been having some problems when in gear, I hear a grinding sound. So far i have not had problems getting the car into gear though. I stopped driving the car because the grinding got too loud, sometimes i hear a pop, kinda like a bad axle.

I was wondering what is the best way to diagnose without removing the tranny.

Thanks in advance guys.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2005, 06:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
Ohh...Uhh...

I added about a quart of mobil 1 5w30 engine oil, the grinding went away for the most part, however it seems that it wants to pop out of gear sometimes (esp. 1st & 2nd). Tomorrow i will drain the fluid and use honda fluid instead, see what happens.
Old 12-24-2005, 02:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
Ohh...Uhh...

I found a leak from the transmission seal on the drivers side axle. It also moves about .25" up and down. The axle is fine, its just leaking from the seal. Im wondering what pats by the drivers side transmission seal are the most likely to break down. Also, am i going to have to take the case apart?

Old 12-24-2005, 04:11 PM   #4 (permalink)
The H Badge is it!

Rep Power: 20 SOHC_Rules is hot as a volcanoSOHC_Rules is hot as a volcano
SOHC_Rules is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 30 reviews
Send a message via AIM to SOHC_Rules

u probably just had low fluid to cause the grinding noise, and the axle seal is probly shot

no, u should just be able to pop the axle out and replace
Old 12-24-2005, 09:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

if inner cup is moving .25", bearings are toast, start looking for another tranny.

Rebuild kit for your tranny is $150-200, plus time and labor......

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2006, 08:36 PM   #6 (permalink)
Ohh...Uhh...

Update: Well, i ordered a set of differential bearings, about $50 (majestichonda.com). Tomorrow, i will install a '92 cx tranny, while i fix the other one's bearings. Should I look out for axle fitment issues or anything of the sort? Any tips, let me know.
Old 01-07-2006, 09:00 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 16 shifty35 is a name known to allshifty35 is a name known to allshifty35 is a name known to allshifty35 is a name known to allshifty35 is a name known to allshifty35 is a name known to allshifty35 is a name known to allshifty35 is a name known to allshifty35 is a name known to allshifty35 is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 8 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by transzex
if inner cup is moving .25", bearings are toast, start looking for another tranny.

Rebuild kit for your tranny is $150-200, plus time and labor......
I like this man, he's doing it himself. :tu:

I'd rather fork over $200 and rebuild my own tranny then buy one in suspect condition.
'90 Mazda Miata - Weekend Fun Car
'04 Toyota Prius - Wife / family car
shifty35 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2006, 11:31 PM   #8 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

but what about the inner workings?

Yes I learn by fucking up a few myself.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2006, 06:57 AM   #9 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 16 shifty35 is a name known to allshifty35 is a name known to allshifty35 is a name known to allshifty35 is a name known to allshifty35 is a name known to allshifty35 is a name known to allshifty35 is a name known to allshifty35 is a name known to allshifty35 is a name known to allshifty35 is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 8 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by transzex
but what about the inner workings?

Yes I learn by fucking up a few myself.
Eh, it's the only way to learn. With a service manual, the right tools, and some patience... it's not too bad.

Besides, if you break it... you just buy another one, which is where you were before anyway.
'90 Mazda Miata - Weekend Fun Car
'04 Toyota Prius - Wife / family car
shifty35 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in