what is the lightest OEM d-series flywheel?? - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Transmission alley

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2005, 08:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 15 graveltravel is learning the way of the Dgraveltravel is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 11 reviews
Default what is the lightest OEM d-series flywheel??

like the question states.
i think i heard somebody say its the crx si flywheel.
and , will it fit a z6 ?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
graveltravel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2005, 11:21 PM   #2 (permalink)
not a wanksta

Rep Power: 15 save a civic  is accepted as part of the communitysave a civic  is accepted as part of the communitysave a civic  is accepted as part of the communitysave a civic  is accepted as part of the community

i always wondered this too, hope someone replies... btw have a z6 stock flywheel if you want it to lighten.. its yours, seriously get it out of my garage. frizee. i tried to give it to the "the EH" who i gave my z6 trans to. he didnt want it. take it....
save a civic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2005, 12:44 AM   #3 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 16 zeus zore  is slowly gaining respectzeus zore  is slowly gaining respectzeus zore  is slowly gaining respectzeus zore  is slowly gaining respectzeus zore  is slowly gaining respect
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to zeus zore Send a message via MSN to zeus zore

just get a fidenza or act...

Setup on Z6 :
SMSP header, Arias 11.5 pistons, eagle rods, edelbrock IM, 60mm TB, Crower springs/ti. retainer, AKMEE Type R Cam, Crower cam gear, Hondata.
zeus zore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2005, 12:52 AM   #4 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 15 StealthSol is learning the way of the DStealthSol is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via MSN to StealthSol

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus zore
just get a fidenza or act...
lol, dont think thats what he's asking
StealthSol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2005, 02:36 AM   #5 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

Some say the HF/VX was lighter, but everything I've came across has been 18-18.5 pounds........and yes some of those were HF/VX.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2005, 09:19 AM   #6 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 15 graveltravel is learning the way of the Dgraveltravel is learning the way of the D

Quote:
Originally Posted by save a civic
i always wondered this too, hope someone replies... btw have a z6 stock flywheel if you want it to lighten.. its yours, seriously get it out of my garage. frizee. i tried to give it to the "the EH" who i gave my z6 trans to. he didnt want it. take it....
how can you lighten a stock flywheel?

Old 12-07-2005, 09:28 AM   #7 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 16 red4 is approaching greatnessred4 is approaching greatnessred4 is approaching greatnessred4 is approaching greatnessred4 is approaching greatnessred4 is approaching greatnessred4 is approaching greatnessred4 is approaching greatnessred4 is approaching greatnessred4 is approaching greatnessred4 is approaching greatnessred4 is approaching greatnessred4 is approaching greatness
iTrader Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to red4

Quote:
Originally Posted by graveltravel
how can you lighten a stock flywheel?
have some of the material shaved off at a machine shop and have it balanced. i wouldn't suggest doing this though. i've heard some bad stories about lightening stock flywheels. if you want a lighter flywheel go aftermarket, otherwise i believe most any D-series flywheel will do.

red4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2005, 01:14 PM   #8 (permalink)
not a wanksta

Rep Power: 15 save a civic  is accepted as part of the communitysave a civic  is accepted as part of the communitysave a civic  is accepted as part of the communitysave a civic  is accepted as part of the community

most people i know have been running lightened stock flywheels for several years (about 6 or 7) with pretty quick cars (~200-250 hp) btw... aftermarket flywheels werent always so cheap. none have ever had problems over the years. they all went to 11-12 lbs i think. i wanted it lighter and that's why i went with 8.5lbs. i havent seen a legitimate problem with lightened flywheels yet.
Old 12-07-2005, 01:57 PM   #9 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

to cut a stocker down to 12 lbs and balanced is $175, to buy a XACT is $210.

Lighter flywheels are only faster if you don't have traction when drag racing. If you have traction, the heavier (with in reason) the better.

Helps holeshot the car from a start and on the upshifts.

Quote:
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
Old 12-07-2005, 02:03 PM   #10 (permalink)
not a wanksta

hell yeah it's a better idea to buy a new one.. i did it too. but some of these guys know someone who can do the lightening and balancing and get it done for next to nothing. i got my 8.5lb for $135 ...
Old 12-07-2005, 02:54 PM   #11 (permalink)
D-series soldier

well, i guess ill research it a lil bit more.
im going with an ACT clutch combo.
im looking towards around a 11 lb flywheel. nothing to fancy.

Old 12-08-2005, 11:29 AM   #12 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 14 SovXietday is learning the way of the DSovXietday is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to SovXietday

From what I've heard unless you're pushing serious power 10-12lbs is perfect.
SovXietday is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2005, 07:23 PM   #13 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 16 zeus zore  is slowly gaining respectzeus zore  is slowly gaining respectzeus zore  is slowly gaining respectzeus zore  is slowly gaining respectzeus zore  is slowly gaining respect

Quote:
Originally Posted by transzex
to cut a stocker down to 12 lbs and balanced is $175, to buy a XACT is $210.

Lighter flywheels are only faster if you don't have traction when drag racing. If you have traction, the heavier (with in reason) the better.

Helps holeshot the car from a start and on the upshifts.
well i dont fully << agree i understand your point..thats all good. but with a light flywheel you just need change you driving technic... in my 135 HP civic i just go at 4 K rpm.. with a fidenza and not many follow me the first 60 meters or so even M3 and dohc and so on..

cause i would ratter go small slicks and light flywheel, then big fat heavy slicks and heavy mother fucker 40 pund fly just so i could spin them alittle at start from 9000 rpm... (if you get my point

i think what you are sayin makes sense, but go for other then our "high" power, small cubic and high rev engines.. think of the force you produce at 7000 K then with a V8 a 2000 K the rpm and slingshot effekt is the same but at 7000 RPM the light fly becomes HEAVY !!!... where at 2000 rpm it is not all that much if they had the same flywheel

Setup on Z6 :
SMSP header, Arias 11.5 pistons, eagle rods, edelbrock IM, 60mm TB, Crower springs/ti. retainer, AKMEE Type R Cam, Crower cam gear, Hondata.
Old 12-08-2005, 09:27 PM   #14 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

140 chp + 100 shot of nitrous, launching at 7000 rpm on 20" slicks.....perfect combo.......

put in 8 pounder, bog the launch..........at 7800 rpm!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Old 12-08-2005, 09:32 PM   #15 (permalink)
88si

are all 88-91 si flywheels the same some dude here locally is selling a 8 pounder for like 75 bux. its a factory lightend one. just wondering if it would fit my 88
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2005, 08:32 AM   #16 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by transzex
put in 8 pounder, bog the launch..........at 7800 rpm!!!!!!!!!
140 chp + 100 shot of nitrous, launching at 7000 rpm on 20" slicks.....perfect combo....... << stock flywheel or ?

Setup on Z6 :
Old 12-09-2005, 12:37 PM   #17 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

was the 12.5 pounder, cut down stocker, sorry for not being clear about that.

Quote:
Old 12-09-2005, 07:13 PM   #18 (permalink)
eg6ajk

lightest OEM flywheel was a JDM Civic ETi @ around 15lbs, not much savings over the standard 18lbs units.

Old 12-09-2005, 07:20 PM   #19 (permalink)
D-series soldier

will that fit a d-series trans?

Old 12-09-2005, 07:23 PM   #20 (permalink)
eg6ajk

yes its a stock 92-00 spec unit slightly shaved off and balanced (just like ITR flywheel) it does fit and works on all 88-00 d-series
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in