ex/si trans 5th gear. - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Transmission alley

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2005, 01:07 PM   #1 (permalink)
not a wanksta

Rep Power: 15 save a civic  is accepted as part of the communitysave a civic  is accepted as part of the communitysave a civic  is accepted as part of the communitysave a civic  is accepted as part of the community
iTrader Score: 11 reviews
Default ex/si trans 5th gear.

ok, i have a 94 del sol si. i had a completely stock trans and clutch. this past weekend i swapped tranny's to a 95 civic ex trans and put in a stage 1 clutch and 8.5lb flywheel. i checked the trans casing and it checks out as an ex trans but i swear 5th gear is really short. i know the ex and si 5th gears are supposed to be the same. but im at 3000 rpm at 70-75mph. am i crazy and is this normal and maybe im thrown off by the flywheel? ive never had a light flywheel before, does 5th gear feel that different with this?
save a civic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2005, 04:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 15 Jim Truett is learning the way of the DJim Truett is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 2 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by save a civic
ok, i have a 94 del sol si. i had a completely stock trans and clutch. this past weekend i swapped tranny's to a 95 civic ex trans and put in a stage 1 clutch and 8.5lb flywheel. i checked the trans casing and it checks out as an ex trans but i swear 5th gear is really short. i know the ex and si 5th gears are supposed to be the same. but im at 3000 rpm at 70-75mph. am i crazy and is this normal and maybe im thrown off by the flywheel? ive never had a light flywheel before, does 5th gear feel that different with this?
You probably have an Si tranny with the .750 fifth gear. The EX trannies have a .702 fifth.
Jim Truett is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2005, 05:20 PM   #3 (permalink)
not a wanksta

Rep Power: 15 save a civic  is accepted as part of the communitysave a civic  is accepted as part of the communitysave a civic  is accepted as part of the communitysave a civic  is accepted as part of the community

oh, didnt know there was a difference... sux. thanks

Old 12-05-2005, 07:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
Premium Member

Rep Power: 41 Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 15 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Bizzar Send a message via MSN to Bizzar Send a message via Yahoo to Bizzar

The Del sol had a different 5th.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Bizzar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2005, 04:47 AM   #5 (permalink)
not a wanksta

really? great... this really freaking blows.
Old 12-06-2005, 09:36 AM   #6 (permalink)
D-series lover

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

or you didn't have a del sol tranny to begin with. the difference in readings from one tach to the next can be a couple hundred rpm, but i'm a touch over 3k rpm with my .750 gearbox at 70mph. my .702 box in my Si has me turning just under 3k rpm at 70mph. was the old box DEFINITELY an S20/P20-Bxxxx? i only ask because my brothers EK EX has an LX box in it. only 100k on the odo too. someone changed it out for some reason. when he puts the spare EX trans i have into it, he's going to be turning higher rpm's on the highway for sure.

if your old box was the .750 5th box and you want the new box to be the same, switching out 5th gear is a simple project.

nate

MSD Blaster Coil, Cap $50
Generic High Flow Cat 2.5" $25
Rear Disc conversion $225
solo-x is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2005, 11:32 AM   #7 (permalink)
not a wanksta

i gave it away free to "the EH," a fellow d member. i'll pm him and ask him to read me the #'s... thanks.
Old 12-06-2005, 01:06 PM   #8 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

both boxes have the same P20/B000 castings.........

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2005, 02:16 PM   #9 (permalink)
not a wanksta

mother of God (okay he doesnt have a mother) but crap my 5th gear sux ass. seriously. i guess it stops me from speeding, but now i want to swap again. hey bone, what in your opinion is the best d series hydro trans? and where can i find one?
Old 12-06-2005, 02:21 PM   #10 (permalink)

What you have for your gen.

What bothers you about the .75? RPM? Or gas mileage? I can get 45 mpg with that trans in a 92 VX Hatch and a Z6 swap. As stated above, it's not THAT big of a difference btw the .702 and .75.

If you don't like the rpm there's always the CX/VX trans.
civicminded92 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2005, 03:04 PM   #11 (permalink)
not a wanksta

rpm sux. gets loud when in hight rpm... well, i better check both trans id's then cuz this one is shiz compared to the other one. maybe the flywheel throws it off???
Old 12-07-2005, 02:49 AM   #12 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Best tranny IMHO????

My KAAZ LSD S20 with ZC 3-4 and CRX .771 5th.........

Quote:
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
Old 12-07-2005, 06:44 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by save a civic
rpm sux. gets loud when in hight rpm... well, i better check both trans id's then cuz this one is shiz compared to the other one. maybe the flywheel throws it off???
What kind of loud are you talking about - the exhaust? If so, THAT'S your problem, not the trans. Get a quieter muffler.

Flywheel throws what off? If you are thinking the gear ratios, you'd be dead wrong.

I knew Bone would advocate and even shorter 5th.
civicminded92 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2005, 09:33 AM   #14 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

well, it doesn't help gas mileage, but I'm was still at 40 mpg at 4000 rpm @ 80 mph, guess I can't complain much. Once I get ecu retuned it will improve.

To the person complaining about the noise level, I'll bet you removed or gutted your cat.......

Reason I run a cat, keeps the car quiet.

Quote:
Old 12-07-2005, 01:09 PM   #15 (permalink)
not a wanksta

Quote:
Originally Posted by transzex
To the person complaining about the noise level, I'll bet you removed or gutted your cat.......

Reason I run a cat, keeps the car quiet.
haha, nailed it. im putting the stock back on for now...
Old 12-07-2005, 02:06 PM   #16 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Why not get a 2.25" Magnaflow resonator and bolt it up in place of the cat?

Front flange is easy, rear you'll have to get a little creative.

2.25" Magnaflow SS with 4" OD, about $40
Front flange adapter $4
Rear clamp $10

I'd post pics, but the free server is SLOW tonight, time to move pics.

Quote:
Old 12-07-2005, 05:19 PM   #17 (permalink)
not a wanksta

the only reason i didnt do that is because i have the stock cat heat shield over the decat. making it look just like a cat...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in