tranny noise - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Transmission alley

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2005, 04:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
allwheeldriveturboboxer

Rep Power: 26 builthatch is the fucking MAN!!!!builthatch is the fucking MAN!!!!builthatch is the fucking MAN!!!!builthatch is the fucking MAN!!!!
builthatch is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to builthatch
Default tranny noise

in the 7+ years i've had my EK, i've been thru 13 transmissions. Mostly because when one would go, (initially because i was insisting on using solid hub 4 puck ACT back in the day), i would just put in whatever someone had that didn't grind....many times the trans would be one it's last legs. I've blown up diffs, killed countless bearings and synchros while using these old transmissions...

Anyway, the one i have now i installed last winter and for several months it has been making noise with the pedal out. If i press it in, it goes away completely. My question is, how do i tell the difference between a phucked mainshaft/ input shaft bearing vs. a beat throwout bearing? i was always under the impression that if the noise went away immed after pressing the clutch in, it was TO, but if it went away a second or two after, it was mainshaft....but after thinking about it, i dunno. im tired and fighting a slight cold.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

builthatch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2005, 05:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-series lover

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via MSN to vxcoastie

I too would like to know about this because I have the same problem. The car runs and drives good. Does your tranny quiet down very slightly when engine warmed up?? I was thinking that it was the synchro that was screwed.
vxcoastie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2005, 05:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
allwheeldriveturboboxer

Rep Power: 26 builthatch is the fucking MAN!!!!builthatch is the fucking MAN!!!!builthatch is the fucking MAN!!!!builthatch is the fucking MAN!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vxcoastie
I too would like to know about this because I have the same problem. The car runs and drives good. Does your tranny quiet down very slightly when engine warmed up?? I was thinking that it was the synchro that was screwed.
i'd say it doesn't quiet down at all. i while back, i put good ol' lucas oil stabilizer in there and it didn't get less loud AT ALL! truthfully, i've never had that stuff NOT make a noise better, so that is what makes me think its the TO bearing, since its outside the gearbox and seperate from the oils...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 11-22-2005, 06:06 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-series lover

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via MSN to vxcoastie

I too thought it was the bearing but I changed it at home but still the same problem. My noise is coming from within the tranny. I was thinking about just changing it out for an ex/si instead of thinking about it too much.
vxcoastie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2005, 06:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cool User Title Here

Location: 7.5 hours north of Modshxcivic, 6.5 hours north of Rexinre's house (he says only 5 hours) (MAINE)
Rep Power: 24 Honda4VW is hot as a volcanoHonda4VW is hot as a volcano
Honda4VW is hot as a volcanoHonda4VW is hot as a volcanoHonda4VW is hot as a volcanoHonda4VW is hot as a volcanoHonda4VW is hot as a volcanoHonda4VW is hot as a volcanoHonda4VW is hot as a volcanoHonda4VW is hot as a volcanoHonda4VW is hot as a volcanoHonda4VW is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 9 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Honda4VW Send a message via MSN to Honda4VW Send a message via Yahoo to Honda4VW

Jared....let me know what I can do to help...

I have a Y8 sitting here with a split case, and good solid bearings....

Since you helped me out so much, ill return the favor

Honda4VW is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2005, 06:34 PM   #6 (permalink)
allwheeldriveturboboxer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda4VW
Jared....let me know what I can do to help...

I have a Y8 sitting here with a split case, and good solid bearings....

Since you helped me out so much, ill return the favor
thanks 4ges...

i think imma just unload this to someone who is interested in redoing it, since it really shifts nicely and all- it's just got this damn noise.

i posted in admin about another trans ; )

Old 11-22-2005, 07:56 PM   #7 (permalink)
Black Dynamite

Rep Power: 23 Clutchmaster is the fucking MAN!!!!Clutchmaster is the fucking MAN!!!!Clutchmaster is the fucking MAN!!!!
Clutchmaster is the fucking MAN!!!!Clutchmaster is the fucking MAN!!!!Clutchmaster is the fucking MAN!!!!Clutchmaster is the fucking MAN!!!!Clutchmaster is the fucking MAN!!!!Clutchmaster is the fucking MAN!!!!Clutchmaster is the fucking MAN!!!!Clutchmaster is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 29 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Clutchmaster

Thow out bearing don't worry about it I've had this noise twice once when I had to change the clutch on my Eclipse and also when my tranny blew in my CRX
Clutchmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2005, 08:05 PM   #8 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 Tman the Zman is learning the way of the DTman the Zman is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

The TO bearing isn't much of a big deal. I drove my Sol with a worn out TO bearing for over a year with no problems.
Tman the Zman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2005, 08:10 PM   #9 (permalink)
I <3 TIG Welding

Rep Power: 24 9295EJ-t is the fucking MAN!!!!9295EJ-t is the fucking MAN!!!!9295EJ-t is the fucking MAN!!!!
9295EJ-t is the fucking MAN!!!!9295EJ-t is the fucking MAN!!!!9295EJ-t is the fucking MAN!!!!9295EJ-t is the fucking MAN!!!!9295EJ-t is the fucking MAN!!!!9295EJ-t is the fucking MAN!!!!9295EJ-t is the fucking MAN!!!!9295EJ-t is the fucking MAN!!!!9295EJ-t is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 8 reviews
Send a message via AIM to 9295EJ-t Send a message via Skype™ to 9295EJ-t

i have a brand new clutch kit in my car, and the TO makes that noise... i dont think it is something to worry about...

9295EJ-t is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2005, 08:21 PM   #10 (permalink)
allwheeldriveturboboxer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9295EJ-t
i have a brand new clutch kit in my car, and the TO makes that noise... i dont think it is something to worry about...
it's bad tho- its not a slight grind whine with pedal out, its a full on knocking grinding sound.

Old 11-22-2005, 08:53 PM   #11 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 16 zeus zore  is slowly gaining respectzeus zore  is slowly gaining respectzeus zore  is slowly gaining respectzeus zore  is slowly gaining respectzeus zore  is slowly gaining respect
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to zeus zore Send a message via MSN to zeus zore

could also be the clutch... i have had the sound ever since i install med act. about 60 K miles ago... tryed another TO .. didt do much, now it is worse i think (even changed the bearings on the main shaft (input).. think its my clutch.. but works just fine.. gonna put a new in with the build engine..

Setup on Z6 :
SMSP header, Arias 11.5 pistons, eagle rods, edelbrock IM, 60mm TB, Crower springs/ti. retainer, AKMEE Type R Cam, Crower cam gear, Hondata.

Last edited by zeus zore; 11-22-2005 at 08:55 PM.
zeus zore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2005, 10:53 PM   #12 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

makku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussie
iTrader Score: 11 reviews
Send a message via AIM to makku Send a message via MSN to makku Send a message via Yahoo to makku

does it make the noise when you're rolling with the clutch IN? Mine did that too and it was definitely the ISB.

Quote:
forecast for tomorrow... a few sprinkles of genius with a chance for DOOM!
Quote:
But I thought you said TV was bad?
It is... but we fucking need it.
makku is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2005, 01:57 AM   #13 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

I've never had a quiet tranny, NEVER.

With tranny in "N" car just sitting there with e-brake on, ALL gears are moving, bearings making noise.

How much noise will a bearing/gear make moving at 8-16k shaft rpms?

Best tranny I ever built (other than mine ) has a whine in second LOUDER that AKSC.......

Scary to say this, but if it shifts without issues, let it WHINE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2005, 03:06 AM   #14 (permalink)
Cool User Title Here

Location: 7.5 hours north of Modshxcivic, 6.5 hours north of Rexinre's house (he says only 5 hours) (MAINE)
Rep Power: 24 Honda4VW is hot as a volcanoHonda4VW is hot as a volcano
Honda4VW is hot as a volcanoHonda4VW is hot as a volcanoHonda4VW is hot as a volcanoHonda4VW is hot as a volcanoHonda4VW is hot as a volcanoHonda4VW is hot as a volcanoHonda4VW is hot as a volcanoHonda4VW is hot as a volcanoHonda4VW is hot as a volcanoHonda4VW is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 9 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Honda4VW Send a message via MSN to Honda4VW Send a message via Yahoo to Honda4VW

I have had 2 trannies without noise.....my latest z6 had a ton of noise

Honda4VW is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in