need help ordering parts for manual transmission - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Transmission alley

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2019, 09:40 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default need help ordering parts for manual transmission

hey folks, first time on a honda forum.
i am a mechanic for Ford commercial and Mack Trucks. I do all my own work on my vehicles, i have an 05 civic dx with a 1.7 w/ 5 speed manual. when i bought it a few years back it had some bearing noise, i assumed it was a throw out bearing since it would go away with the clutch pushed in. so i put a clutch in it a few months ago when it started slipping, only to discover my noise was still there. did a little online research and found it is a common issue for manual honda transmissions to have input/main shaft bearing failure. so i am about to start pulling the engine and trans tonight. going to catch some oil seals on the engine while i am in there, and fix the trans.
i have a good mechanical knowledge, though i am 99% a diesel mechanic, and a heavy duty mechanic at that. first time in a transaxle.
i am looking at parts diagrams online and am having a hard time seeing what i think i will need to order. i am not going to order anything until i have disassembled the unit and seen what all is failing. no transmission shops local to me touch manual imports so no help from them for parts ordering.
I am hoping once i have the unit apart, you guys can help me order the correct parts the first time, to minimize down time. I'll be riding my motorcycle to work during these repairs.
i see one bearing on the main shaft, but i cannot find the oil seals on the diagrams. i will upload the diagrams i am looking at. along with screen shots of the part numbers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	diagram.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	24.3 KB
ID:	126199   Click image for larger version

Name:	case diagram.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	18.9 KB
ID:	126201   Click image for larger version

Name:	countershaft parts 1.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	15.9 KB
ID:	126203   Click image for larger version

Name:	countershaft.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	26.1 KB
ID:	126205   Click image for larger version

Name:	case parts 1.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	15.0 KB
ID:	126207  

yarddog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2019, 09:43 AM   #2 (permalink)
n00b

a few more screen shots
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	parts 2.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	15.4 KB
ID:	126209   Click image for larger version

Name:	parts 1.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	15.1 KB
ID:	126211  
Old 06-18-2019, 06:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

ISB and seals, common fix. I'll look at the pics later once on a PC.

You can order parts from dealership or Synchrotech, who also lists on eBay

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-Civic...kAAOxy9DRSCq7D

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2019, 06:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

Also, I haven't been into the 01-05 trans.

Where are you located?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2019, 06:40 PM   #5 (permalink)

Rep Power: 27 Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!
Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 27 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Aquafina

Where are you located? Does the trans have any other issues?

If you just want to replace the bearing and all seals this is what you need.
91002-PS0-013
91205-PL3-A01
91216-PL3-005
91206-PHR-003

If you want to replace all of the bearings (excluding differential) and seals, order this https://wd-r.com/shop?olsPage=produc...g-and-seal-kit

Rocket Motorsports, MFactory, Torco, Action Clutch, HASport, Synchrotech, OS Giken, Gear-X, Wavetrac, Quaife
Official MFactory North American Installer

Aquafina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2019, 03:18 AM   #6 (permalink)
n00b

nice, thanks. i am in central georgia, macon/milledgeville area. i should have the drivetrain out thursday, working full time, i don't like to spend a lot of time at home working more, so taking it in small steps. got the oil drained from engine and trans, axles out, air inlet system off. going to pull accessories and such tonight. i don't know for sure what i will replace, i want it fixed 100% the first time. so if other things show abnormal wear i'll fix that as well, but hoping its just input shaft bearings. will do axle shaft seals while i'm there. was wanting to swap some gears to a shorter ratio, but life hit me hard this weekend and had to drain almost all my savings account. some scum bag arrested my wife because she didn't have her medication in the original bottle, she had them in a weekly pill minder box. what a douche, treated us like some crackheads.. but that is another story in itself.

i always like to replace with OEM parts, but in this case, with the oem bearings being such an issue, i would rather replace with a higher quality, unless oem is what seems to be the best. i just don't want this to end up being an every 80,000 mile thing. lol
Old 06-19-2019, 09:42 AM   #7 (permalink)

Rep Power: 27 Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!
Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!

NTN is the supplier for almost every Honda bearing. The Synchrotech kits come with NTN bearings. It's not a bearing issue, just a small design issue with the trans.

Rocket Motorsports, MFactory, Torco, Action Clutch, HASport, Synchrotech, OS Giken, Gear-X, Wavetrac, Quaife

Old 06-19-2019, 10:39 AM   #8 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquafina View Post
NTN is the supplier for almost every Honda bearing. The Synchrotech kits come with NTN bearings. It's not a bearing issue, just a small design issue with the trans.
could you go into detail a little? maybe an oiling concern for the bearing?? anything i can do to help prevent future failures??
i have a 6 speed in my wife's '16 civic, do there seem to be any common issues with that transmission?
i have owned Honda's forever, yet know hardly nothing about them, since they rarely tear up. lol my daily 96 civic has over 500k miles, original engine, original auto trans. been a dang good car for us. its time to put it down until we have the time and money to go through it and do a solid refurbish. trans is starting to shift weird, and slipped for the first time today. cannot complain since its only gone 2-3 times the normal mileage without a major failure. the most i've done to that car is an alternator and distributor, aside form standard timing belt stuff every 100k.
Old 06-19-2019, 03:39 PM   #9 (permalink)

The bearing is held in the case by the mainshaft and has a very tight clearance to the mainshaft OD so overtime thrust loads will kill the bearing, nothing can be done to prevent it.

The L15's don't have any big issues.

Old 06-27-2019, 06:59 AM   #10 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquafina View Post
Where are you located? Does the trans have any other issues?

If you just want to replace the bearing and all seals this is what you need.
91002-PS0-013
91205-PL3-A01
91216-PL3-005
91206-PHR-003

If you want to replace all of the bearings (excluding differential) and seals, order this
since money is tight, i am going to only replace the bearings on the input shaft, and the seals. i also want to replace the axle seals while i am in there. if i order one each of the highlighted part numbers, would that be enough to do the job, or is there anything i should order two of?? just dont want to waste time waiting on another parts order by getting the wrong stuff the first time. thanks for your help.

also, the clutch, pilot and throw out bearings are new, less than 15k miles. since the input shaft bearing was failing, should i go ahead and replace the pilot bearing while i am there, possible the pilot bearing has had abnormal force or alignment issues with the bearing on the other side of the shaft failing?

Last edited by slo_eg8; 06-27-2019 at 07:09 AM.
Old 06-30-2019, 07:35 PM   #11 (permalink)

One of each. If you don't want to wait on parts, order a pilot bearing and top mainshaft bearing.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in