Yet another help me figuring out this noise (audio) - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Transmission alley

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2019, 10:02 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Rep Power: 0 10mm will become famous soon enough10mm will become famous soon enough10mm will become famous soon enough
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Lucky P20/B000 (Z6) junkyard find for my 6th gen DX (Y7)

I got my hands on a P20/B000 (92-95 Si/EX) trans to put on my 6th gen DX (Y7)

Just put everything back together with the new trans on and fired it up to be greeted with a horrific tapping sound coming from the clutch area. The car drives great and all gears are smooth with no grinding. I just think I screwed up the clutch release fork & bearing. This is only the second time I've put a trans on so I'm a bit of a noob I suppose

EDIT: the noise has gone away mostly now it's just a very faint tapping sound. gonna just drive it as is for now until i get another daily

Here's the MP3 clip of the noise: https://instaud.io/3xgn
  • The noise DOES NOT go away when pressing the clutch pedal
  • Rarely and randomly the noise will go away until I touch the clutch pedal again

I reused the bearing that came with the trans (the P20/B000) I pulled from the junkyard because it looked & felt good. I don't know why I didn't just buy a new bearing while I had the trans off.. I wont make that mistake again

I gravity bled the clutch cylinder the pedal feels nice again. There's no squeaking when pressing the clutch. It's just a constant tapping noise

The bearing on the right says 'JAPAN' on it. That's the one I used. The other bearing doesn't have any markings it came with the EXEDY clutch kit I bought a few years ago and has been on my car since with no issues

The forks are nearly identical except the retainer clip is a little different but looks like either one will work

I know I went a little crazy with the grease but I figured it wasn't a big deal.. is it?

here's the trans sitting on the ground at the junkyard after i pulled it. also took the left/driver's side axle cus the boot on my mine was ripped:

dat p20/b000:

all cleaned up and ready:

the oil i decided to go with (same stuff i use in the motor except 5W30 in motor):

freshly mated with her new best friend:

Last edited by 10mm; 04-14-2019 at 03:09 PM.
10mm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2019, 08:34 AM   #2 (permalink)
n00b

Rep Power: 0 10mm will become famous soon enough10mm will become famous soon enough10mm will become famous soon enough

The noise went away after a few drives. I drained the fluid to put some more fresh 10W-30 in and the noise came back a little. But it went away again after a few drives.

The noise wasn't there until I touched the clutch pedal

It's all good now though. I suppose I can still hear the faintest bit of tapping when pressing the clutch on a rare occurrence. But for the most part it's completely gone
Old 04-12-2019, 08:54 AM   #3 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 17 robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!
robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

sounds a little like the fly wheel access panel touching the flywheel..
robgoof is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2019, 11:19 AM   #4 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 23 79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....
79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

Cant speak on the trans but I can the bearing.

There is no way to test or tell if a bearing is good my hand alone.
Sure you can tell if its blown apart in pieces or seized up.

But you have no way of examining the contact surfaces (for fretting or corrosion) of the bearings inner and out race along with the rolling element or grease without pulling the seals or shields.

The only way to properly check would be to get it up to operating rpm and apply load which can be felt by hand.

Best bet when dealing with bearings just replace it if you can.

And never listen to the old guys who say just pump it full of new grease.
The number one cause of bearing failure is lubrication too much causes the bearings to slide and not rotate almost like hydroplaning.
Too much can also lead to the bearing overheating.
Too little can actually be better than too much in most cases.

Over greasing can cause the seals to be blown and excess grease attracts contaminates that get pulled into the bearing.
Think of it as cutting yourself while the blood is still wet its attracts dirt and debris same thing with excess grease.

Sorry about the bearing rant its all I have a little knowledge on in life
98 Jeep Cherokee 4" Lift Cut Fenders 33x12.50 Daily/Offroad Toy
14 Subaru Forester XT Touring 2.0 Turbo (Wifes Ride)
92 Mustang 2.3 5 Speed 325K on the clock and counting
07 V-Star 650 Classic Space Consumer in the shop

RIP PAT

Last edited by 79hilux90crx; 04-12-2019 at 11:26 AM.
79hilux90crx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2019, 06:29 PM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

ok so the noise is not gone. it's just very quiet now. it's not just when i hit the clutch pedal anymore. i was starting to think maybe it was that hex bolt that can rub against the pressure plate

the thing is.. my whole clutch setup is a bit of a disaster. a few years ago my clutch went out i got one of those $100 EXEDY kits and managed to do my first clutch replacement in 2 nights with some buddies. when we were putting the flywheel and pressure plate on i had used a 2 foot breaker bar to snug all the bolts while my buddy was holding the flywheel teeth with a big flathead screw driver. i did my best to evenly tighten up the flywheel but yea... i still don't own a torque wrench yet

so anyways my clutch is all out of whack unbalanced

Quote:
Originally Posted by robgoof View Post
sounds a little like the fly wheel access panel touching the flywheel..
yea im starting to think it has something to do with the flywheel pressure plate or clutch. i had a rough time getting the trans input shaft splines to mate with the clutch and pilot bearing so i might have knocked something out of whack in that area. it may also be something related to the crappy $40 advance auto flywheel i used (that thing was like 60 lbs iirc)

the next time that trans comes back off it's getting a stage 2 clutch and lightweight flywheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79hilux90crx View Post
Cant speak on the trans but I can the bearing.
i appreciate your time. like i said i wont make the mistake of not replacing that thing while the trans is off again. but at this point im pretty sure the release bearing is good. the car i pulled the trans from at the junkyard had a bunch of paperwork sitting on the seat that i took with me. one of the things was a receipt $500 clutch replacement from 2016

as you can see in my picture i used more grease than i should have. other than clutch contamination from excess grease would it hurt anything else? smearing grease all over the release bearing can actually damage it?

i opened up the old Y7 tranny and as soon as i pulled the top off it lost some balls

Last edited by 10mm; 04-14-2019 at 02:47 PM.
Old 04-13-2019, 06:37 PM   #6 (permalink)
n00b

here are some random pics of the internals of the old Y7

the 3rd gear synchro with sleeve lifted up missing the spring:

the 4th gear synchro with the sleeve fallen down:

did i mix up 3rd/4th?

Last edited by 10mm; 04-14-2019 at 03:26 PM.
Old 04-13-2019, 07:33 PM   #7 (permalink)

Rep Power: 27 Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!
Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 27 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Aquafina

Synchro needs to be replaced along with the synchro spring. The ball bearings are from the detents since you didn't remove them before splitting the case. The detent springs are likely jacked now. The 3/4 fork is probably worn out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rocket Motorsports, MFactory, Torco, Action Clutch, HASport, Synchrotech, OS Giken, Gear-X, Wavetrac, Quaife
Official MFactory North American Installer

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Aquafina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2019, 07:47 PM   #8 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquafina View Post
Synchro needs to be replaced along with the synchro spring. The ball bearings are from the detents since you didn't remove them before splitting the case. The detent springs are likely jacked now. The 3/4 fork is probably worn out.
the synchro spring is the ring that was broken off and stuck to the magnet?

these detents you speak of are the little notches at the top of the shift forks?

i noticed those springs up there after i split it. they didn't seem bent or anything but yea i didn't know to remove those through the little access holes prior

oh well this is the first time i split a trans i'm not too worried about it. i'm using this as a learning experiment so one day i can rebuild my s20 with synchrotech

Last edited by 10mm; 04-14-2019 at 02:45 PM.
Old 04-17-2019, 08:07 PM   #9 (permalink)
n00b

oh yeah the 3/4 fork is done for

im bumping this thread because i edited it and added more pictures to my above posts if anyone is interested in checking em out
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
d16z6 tranny, s20, synchro, trans swap, transmission grind

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in