Track Tranny - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Transmission alley

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2019, 11:57 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Track Tranny

Hey Guys im new here,

i build ah 1997 civic coupe with ah d16y8 Borg Warner EFR Turbo 6258 VBand
it makes ~350hp at the flywheel.
after ah year street driven i want to race the car only on the track course.
so i build ah s40 tranny with 35mm diffbearing, the parts i build in this weekend are the synchrotech carbon master kit, ah mfactory helicoil diff and insane shafts (500hp).
the fluid is oem honda mtf 3
tyres are semislicks or slick tyres

will hold this tranny on the race track?
track-coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2019, 02:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 2 drtalon123 is starting to learn the ropesdrtalon123 is starting to learn the ropesdrtalon123 is starting to learn the ropesdrtalon123 is starting to learn the ropesdrtalon123 is starting to learn the ropesdrtalon123 is starting to learn the ropes

Circuit or drag racing?

With that power level, other than the shift forks you have upgraded all of the weak points of that transmission, the driveshafts and the differential. 350 at the flywheel, so around 310ish to the wheels then. The way you upgraded your transmission is almost identical to the one I built, 35mm bearings and all, and the amount of power your making is also almost identical to my Y8 was built for.

My trans was an S40 from a D16Y7, taller gears and steel shift forks vs the OEM Y8 but through circuit racing rolling into power and not shocking the drivetrain I foresee no problems at all with your current setup even on stock driveshafts.

Drag racing using sticky slicks, your weakest links will most likely be the type of clutch/flywheel you pick, input and countershafts and shaft case bearings due to the shock loads. Obviously these items would take a beating for quite a while before any of them gave up, but that's all I can see for weak links in your setup.

The transmission, coupled with your diff and driveshafts should be well suited to handle 300ish HP/TQ passing through it on a semi consistent basis, I just foresee shockloads from drag racing (if that's the racing your frequenting) being the biggest problem.

Last edited by drtalon123; 01-18-2019 at 05:13 AM.
drtalon123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2019, 09:12 PM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Thank you for this nice answer 👍🏻
whats your current setup?
i want circuit racing with 205/45/16 or 205/50/15 tyres
can i change my shift forks to steel forks on my tranny?
sry for my bad english im from austria 🙈

Old 01-18-2019, 05:30 AM   #4 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 2 drtalon123 is starting to learn the ropesdrtalon123 is starting to learn the ropesdrtalon123 is starting to learn the ropesdrtalon123 is starting to learn the ropesdrtalon123 is starting to learn the ropesdrtalon123 is starting to learn the ropes

As far as I know from the research I've done, the OEM steel forks from a similar S40 are a drop in upgrade. PLEASE don't take me straight up on this, as I don't know with 100% confidence. I never had to consider this upgrade, because the trans I was using already came with them. Hopefully someone will chime in here to verify.

Car
93 USDM SI Hatchback,

Engine
D16Y8, reconditioned head with stock valvetrain (not spinning beyond stock RPM), stock crank, forged pistons and rods, all important fasteners ARP, stock ported oil pump, Garrett GT3271 watercooled journal bearing turbo, external wastegate, electronic boost control, polyurethane engine and torque mounts, manual rack and pinion, D16Z6 intake manifold with port matched B18C5 62mm throttle body, aftermarket fuel rail with rail mounted AEM regulator, 750cc saturated fuel injectors, homemade turbo air inlet, intercooler, exhaust plumbing and free to air breather setup, all engine ECU feedback sensors brand new OEM versions (TPS, CTS, IAT, etc.), 3bar GM MAP sensor remote mounted, wide-band.com wideband A/F sensor controller, socketted P06 with VTEC conversion and PWM output components, Demon 2 chipset with Neptune RTP software.

Transmission
35mm S40 from a D16Y7, Synchrotech carbon synchro full rebuild package, Synchrotech(Torco) fluid, new OEM diff bearings, MFactory helical LSD, 1-2 shifter return spring upgrade, new VSS and backup switch, 9lb chromoly flywheel with 6 puck disc and 2700lb pressure plate, all new clutch hydraulics, Tyrannosaur Tightener shift knuckle, stock driveshafts.

Chassis
Stock suspension and brakes (for now), rebuilt calipers, new pads/rotors, new front and rear wheel bearings and hubs, SS brake lines, new master cylinder, new OEM fuel tank, custom external inline fuel pump and filter setup, custom fuel pickup, rear mounted battery, new OEM front and rear lighting housings, hatch glass wiper removal, sunroof removal, new windshield, custom side skirts, 205/50/16 Nitto Neogen's and Toyo R888R Proxes, interior full strip including sound deadening material, one seat, 99-00 civic instrument cluster with A/F gauge modification, custom depinned engine and chassis wiring harnesses, custom brake cooling ducts, full vehicle Energy Suspension polyurethane bushings.

I know there are little bits here and there that I can't remember, but I built the engine/trans/chassis to somewhat reliably handle 350HP. There are many mods I can do to make it more efficient in braking and steering, but I am not a serious competitor by any means haha. I just like building efficient, basic and fun machines to drive.

Last edited by drtalon123; 01-30-2019 at 08:27 PM.
Old 01-19-2019, 05:29 PM   #5 (permalink)

Rep Power: 27 Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!
Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 27 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Aquafina

You already have steel shift forks. If you hit the curbing a lot, you'll break the FD.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rocket Motorsports, MFactory, Torco, Action Clutch, HASport, Synchrotech, OS Giken, Gear-X, Wavetrac, Quaife
Official MFactory North American Installer

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Aquafina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2019, 12:25 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-series lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquafina View Post
You already have steel shift forks. If you hit the curbing a lot, you'll break the FD.
Good to know!
Old 01-22-2019, 01:03 PM   #7 (permalink)
n00b

very nice setup, the car will be funny.

that means tat the non steel shift forks are better to hit the curbings?
and why will break the finaldrive?
Old 01-22-2019, 06:26 PM   #8 (permalink)

Rep Power: 27 Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!
Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 27 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Aquafina

Hitting curbs doesn't affect the shift forks. The shock from hitting the curbs is transmitted to through the transmission, with the FD taking most of the load.

Rocket Motorsports, MFactory, Torco, Action Clutch, HASport, Synchrotech, OS Giken, Gear-X, Wavetrac, Quaife
Official MFactory North American Installer

Aquafina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2019, 07:43 PM   #9 (permalink)
n00b

Drtalon, I work in Greensboro. I'm gonna hit you up with a pm when I get my post count up. For now though, how much was your tranny build? How much power you think it can hold? Who did it? Not trying to hijack. You can pm me.

Track-coupe, just wondering... Are there many drag strips over there?

On a side note, my tablet kept changing "dragstrips" to "cranberries" for some reason. Geez
UnrulyNFS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2019, 10:31 AM   #10 (permalink)
n00b

no drag races are very rare, in austria there are some hillclimb races and in germany and italy there are many raceways? circuits?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in