Picking up another gearbox, need some help - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Transmission alley

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2005, 02:33 AM   #1 (permalink)
Shackle me NOT!!!

flatfourfan Still a JDM Star....flatfourfan Still a JDM Star....flatfourfan Still a JDM Star....flatfourfan Still a JDM Star....flatfourfan Still a JDM Star....flatfourfan Still a JDM Star....flatfourfan Still a JDM Star....flatfourfan Still a JDM Star....flatfourfan Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Picking up another gearbox, need some help

Well after digging around on my gearbox, it's come to my attention that the Synchro's are buggered on 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th. Locally I'm looking at about $200 per Synchro to replace with OEM honda units. So that's a no-no.

Enter my *find* a guy i know stripped his D gearbox to replace a noisy bearing and stripped the oil tap thread on one side of the case, (don't ask)

He made a price and I agreed. Little under $80 for a complete gearbox with new synchro's and a rebuilt bearing kit for the case, All I have to do is send the box in to have the thread re-tapped and a new plug made.

Now.....my question? This gearbox is stripped however all the synchro's gears are all still in tact as the case has just been stripped. Is there anything else that I should be looking at that should warn me of something's a bit more wrong with the box than what he's telling me?

I'm really only after the synchro's and gears, but if I can score a complete box, this now gives me a perfect chance to build another one for my turbo motor, all the better.

What are good bargaining points on this gearbox, what can I knock off of the price??

Thanks
flatfourfan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2005, 05:26 AM   #2 (permalink)
D-series lover

complete box for $80? with new bearings, good synchros, etc? you're already robbing the guy, try not to kick him the nuts on the way out? :P

MSD Blaster Coil, Cap $50
Generic High Flow Cat 2.5" $25
Rear Disc conversion $225
solo-x is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2005, 06:02 AM   #3 (permalink)
bspeed

Flat, provided you have it repaired correctly I see no problem with simply repairing the fresh box. A second option would be to transfer your good case to the good guts if you have the available down time.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2005, 07:18 AM   #4 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 necro smells like Boratnecro smells like Boratnecro smells like Boratnecro smells like Boratnecro smells like Boratnecro smells like Borat
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

I think its a good deal, but like Bspeed said swap internals.
necro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2005, 09:03 AM   #5 (permalink)
D-series wise guy

Rep Power: 16 kommon_sense is da #1 stunnakommon_sense is da #1 stunnakommon_sense is da #1 stunnakommon_sense is da #1 stunnakommon_sense is da #1 stunnakommon_sense is da #1 stunnakommon_sense is da #1 stunna
iTrader Score: 12 reviews
Send a message via AIM to kommon_sense Send a message via Yahoo to kommon_sense

you given any thought to just buying a bearing and synchro rebuild kit?

www.sms-products.com

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
kommon_sense is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2005, 09:43 PM   #6 (permalink)
Shackle me NOT!!!

flatfourfan Still a JDM Star....flatfourfan Still a JDM Star....flatfourfan Still a JDM Star....flatfourfan Still a JDM Star....flatfourfan Still a JDM Star....flatfourfan Still a JDM Star....flatfourfan Still a JDM Star....flatfourfan Still a JDM Star....flatfourfan Still a JDM Star....

Quote:
Originally Posted by solo-x
complete box for $80? with new bearings, good synchros, etc? you're already robbing the guy, try not to kick him the nuts on the way out? :P
He was happy, I was happy........This was about 1/5 of what second hand units are going for around here..........

Quote:
Originally Posted by bspeed
Flat, provided you have it repaired correctly I see no problem with simply repairing the fresh box. A second option would be to transfer your good case to the good guts if you have the available down time.
I had a local shop look at it this morning and he says I've bought a good deal. And that with the exception of the stripped fitting on one side of teh case, the box is 100's........ I didn't bargain, cause there were other people interested in the box as well............

I was thinking about just swapping internals, but I'm rather going the route of repairing this one 100% as I'd rather avoid the downtime of having my car out of action.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kommon_sense
you given any thought to just buying a bearing and synchro rebuild kit?

www.sms-products.com
Gawd I'd love to buy a kit like that, $166 is NOTHING, I wouldn't be able to buy one synchro for that price......downside is......I doubt that they ship to South Africa. I've emailed them to find out if this is possible......

Thanks for the input guys.......

Last edited by flatfourfan; 11-16-2005 at 10:06 PM.
Old 11-16-2005, 10:10 PM   #7 (permalink)
Shackle me NOT!!!

Just got this now..........Seems I can get it shipped to South Africa, this way at the end of the day I'll have 2 good boxes............. thanks KOMMON!........

Yes, I ship anywhere.

"The kit includes bearings, seals and the brass synchro rings, (NO synchro hubs). $166 + $56 for 4-10 day shipping via US Mail with insurance.

David Stadulis
SMS Products
4747 Ewell Road
Fredericksburg, VA 22408
540-287-6384
"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in