Crunch into 5th gear. Need some advice/help - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Transmission alley

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2018, 10:49 AM   #1 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 14 roberts is almost a somebodyroberts is almost a somebodyroberts is almost a somebodyroberts is almost a somebody
iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Default Crunch into 5th gear. Need some advice/help

Hello d-maniacs! I need some advice/help identifying tranny trouble.

Long story short, I had to shift into 5th gear in 1/4 mile just right before finish line. I tried to shift in two runs but kinda missed/couldn't put it in at 8000rpm. After this 2nd attempt when going back to start area, I tried to shift into 5th it went in with crunch. I stopped, pressed clutch again and could only shift with crunch even at idle.

First idea was l broke 5th gear shift fork. I had broken 3rd gear forks many times so I know symptoms.

I took apart my tranny and big was my surprise fork was intact. So I inspected 5th gearset, synchro sleeve and ring and couldn't find problem I was looking for. Synchro sleeve and gear tooth was worn out a little as I had to travel home 750 miles and I had to shift in 5th obviously. But not that much worn that woud cause crunch at idle. My suspect was maybe synchro ring spring had popped out. I assembled everything and hoped for the best...

Crunch at idle was gone, but it crunches when driving no matter how gently I try to shift.

I didn't take photos of sleeve and gearset tooth, but you have to believe me it was not that bad. So what did I brake/bend???

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
roberts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2018, 03:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 27 Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!
Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 27 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Aquafina

You should have taken pictures.
Aquafina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2018, 09:30 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 14 roberts is almost a somebodyroberts is almost a somebodyroberts is almost a somebodyroberts is almost a somebody

Thanks, Aquafina, for joining thread. I was hoping you or Bense would see it.

I don't think any of picture would help. I had new Syncrotech master carbon kit installed. New sleeves, synchros and bearings. And I didn't have any problem till this mis-shift...

One thing I am thinking now, could s20 aluminum shift fork be bent a little? I have experience of broen 3/4th gear forks, but for 5th it's so much beefier that maybe it could bend instead of crack?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 10-17-2018, 12:28 AM   #4 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

PL3 and S20 5th forks are the same, and pics DO help as Andrew (Bense), Chris (Aquafina) and I might see things the normal person doesn't see.

Worn IGB, aka Interlock Guide Bolt which sets all the shift gates and can effect the shifts. Let alone the shift arm A and the cage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2018, 03:02 PM   #5 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 27 Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!
Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 27 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Aquafina

The aluminum forks cannot bend or warp.
Aquafina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2018, 11:40 AM   #6 (permalink)
D-series lover

And of course you Mr. Transzex 🙂

I will take apart tranny in the winter and inspect/measure it with attention. I would normally take a pictures if can not solve problem on my own, but half of my Civic was out of garage while I took out transmission and I had to put it back the same day.

Interlock bolt is definitely one thing to look at as I have problems with getting it in place every time I assemble my transmission. Sometimes it sees force of "proffessional" work.

I will bring this back as soon as tranny will be out again! Thanks guys!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in