Clutch problem with the daily! Help! - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Transmission alley

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2018, 03:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 10 repusnam55 is learning the way of the Drepusnam55 is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Clutch problem with the daily! Help!

Hey

I just did a swap on my daily now im having clutch issues.

Specs: A6 block,Y8 head,A6 trans,stage 3 comp clutch,16g turbo.

I just dropped a new motor and clutch in my CRX. I used a stage 3 comp clutch and had to reuse my throw out bearing because the one in my kit was for hydro trans.

I Thought everything was good but then then i tried to start it and realized it wont start unless the trans is in neutral and even then it doesn't want to start,like there is resistance holding the starter back but it will start. When the car is started you cannot get out of neutral and the isn't idling right, like its fighting the clutch.

I'm at a bit of a loss. Here's what I've come up with so far

1. The clutch cable is too stretched and cant put enough force on the PP to disengage the clutch? I remember that before the swap (Stock rated clutch) i had the cable maxed out for the clutch to work so maybe this is whats wrong? Stretched cable cant put enough force on the PP??

2.The Competition clutch throw out bearing is designed differently? Taller so it can push the PP sooner? i doubt this is the case but Idk???

3. Clutch plate is backwards? I'm 99% i put the clutch in with the springs facing out. I believe this is correct.

Sorry for the long post!
Thank you for any input!! Trying to get her back on the road asap.

91 crx, Vitaras, a6/y8,16g.
repusnam55 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2018, 03:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 10 repusnam55 is learning the way of the Drepusnam55 is learning the way of the D

Anyone want to move this to transmissions? My bad.

Old 09-13-2018, 03:48 PM   #3 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

Rep Power: 50 slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to slo_eg8

bet bone chimes in with "stretched cable"
koni yellow/gc coils
uber rare eg6 optional snowflakes

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

new 95 ej1.
slo_eg8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2018, 06:12 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

Can you space the end of the clutch cable temporarily to see if it works?

Or unhook the cable and give it a few twists in the braid's direction to ghetto shorten it ONLY to test?

Else a local bike shop might be able to make you a new cable and reuse some of the hodna bits

2003 Hyundai Sonata GLS 2.7 Delta 197k

1998 Cadillac Seville SLS just broke 100k
2001 civic LX coupe MTX 199k
Sometimes, the difficult path is the easiest path
D/B/F/H/K compression questions?

Build what you have!

mattliston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2018, 06:16 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....

If the engine still struggles to start with the trans in neutral then i don't see why a stretched cable with factor into the discussion.

EFB055 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2018, 10:54 PM   #6 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

Pressure plate rubbing on the interlock guide bolt, and stretched cable.

Good luck finding a Honda Cable, the Dorman replacement sucks.

Why so much clutch though?

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2018, 11:07 PM   #7 (permalink)
Meat Popsicle

Rep Power: 28 Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 14 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by transzex View Post
Good luck finding a Honda Cable, the Dorman replacement sucks.
Are they discontinued? I just bought one from Majestic 2-3 months ago

R.I.P. Pat Primmer
Paterico is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2018, 02:23 AM   #8 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paterico View Post
Are they discontinued? I just bought one from Majestic 2-3 months ago
I couldn't get one for my CRX 1.6 years ago. I know dealers are going through old inventory that is sitting on the shelf.

What I didn't know is my CRX had a Stage 4 PP and flywheel, but the 4 puck disc was replaced with an OEM unit.

Quote:
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
Old 09-14-2018, 06:55 AM   #9 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Hey. I shimmed the cable with a couple washers and messed with the cable a bunch. now it will start and I can get into gear again but theres almost no adjustment left on the cable.

Haven't driven around town yet but seems good enough for now.

So the interlock bolt as mentioned isn't a problem right?

I ordered a new oem cable.

Motor is Vitara, Eagle went with stage 3 so I have room to grow.

I appreciate all the responses! Hopefully when my new cable arrives it will be good to go!

I didn't realize how much I missed the Honda game till I started messing with them again!

Old 09-15-2018, 09:06 AM   #10 (permalink)
n00b

Sounds like you have it.
dmeeks82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2018, 08:08 PM   #11 (permalink)
Meat Popsicle

Rep Power: 28 Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 14 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFB055 View Post
If the engine still struggles to start with the trans in neutral then i don't see why a stretched cable will factor into the discussion.
This is still a valid question

R.I.P. Pat Primmer
Paterico is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2018, 01:36 AM   #12 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paterico View Post
This is still a valid question
Quote:
Pressure plate rubbing on the interlock guide bolt

Quote:
Old 09-18-2018, 06:20 PM   #13 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Is it possible I damaged the starter trying to start it with the clutch still engaged?
That's what I was thinking it could be. I kept trying to start the car with the pedal down and it would lurch forward right away or not start at all. Clutch not disengaging with the pedal.

It really just sounds like its weak now but it starts. I threw a spare starter on today but have the car in pieces didn't get to start it.

My tranny still has a slight leak so i will need to pull it at some point to reseal, would i just tighten down the interlock bolt some more? Its the allen bolt inside the bell housing right?

Old 09-19-2018, 05:36 AM   #14 (permalink)
\/Your Mom Was Here\/

Rep Power: 54 BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 11 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by repusnam55 View Post
My tranny still has a slight leak so i will need to pull it at some point to reseal, would i just tighten down the interlock bolt some more? Its the allen bolt inside the bell housing right?
If it has a washer on it then remove the washer and just use some sealant on the threads.

2005 Civic EX Sedan (ES2)

You will be missed but not forgotten.

Quote:
I actually jerk off to my rep points, neg rep makes me thumb my bung, what now brown cow? I finished twice.
BeerDrinkin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2018, 07:17 AM   #15 (permalink)
n00b

Is the cable maybe to tight. Tightening it down originally to make it work is because your clutch was worn out. Had the issue in my 76 dart. After putting a new clutch in it I had to loosen it back up. Check your nss as well. Maybe it's going bad
phily is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2018, 04:05 PM   #16 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

new starter works much better! plenty strong! Thanks for the help

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in