D17 5sp trans - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Transmission alley

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2018, 01:56 PM   #1 (permalink)
OMG TOTALLY COOL TITLE!!!!

Rep Power: 32 si-hatch86 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !si-hatch86 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !si-hatch86 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
si-hatch86 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !si-hatch86 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !si-hatch86 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 15 reviews
Send a message via AIM to si-hatch86 Send a message via MSN to si-hatch86 Send a message via Yahoo to si-hatch86
Default D17 5sp trans

My brothers 02 civic left him on side of road,
Symptoms: clutch does not grab gears, no clunk or noise change at all, need to press clutch to put into any gear, release clutch while in gear and it will not move. Fluid is full, the slave moves the arm in trans fine. It did move a little when he revved the car high and let clutch out but barely. I'm thinking/hoping it's just clutch but could it be trans? I'm removing trans this weekend to replace clurch.

TL/DR:
Car doesnt move while in gear
Fluid fine
No obvious changes
Moves barely if revved high
Clutch? Trans?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RIP Pat Primmer
RIP MILO
si-hatch86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2018, 03:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

you said it barely moves with rpms and clutch out.

Simply the clutch disc being burnt to shit.

If you want to verify, jack teh car up, remove the flywheel inspection plate, make sure the car is SECURE on jackstands, and have the front wheels off the ground.

Try to "drive" it very gently, then clutch in, rev, and let clutch out.

Without the weight of the car to move, it should go into gear and spin the tires just fine.

Could try spraying a bit of brake cleaner inside the inspection hole (wear safety glasses or goggles!!!) and seeing if a shit ton of clutch dust comes out.

2003 Hyundai Sonata GLS 2.7 Delta 197k
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1998 Cadillac Seville SLS just broke 100k
2001 civic LX coupe MTX 199k
Sometimes, the difficult path is the easiest path
D/B/F/H/K compression questions?

Build what you have!

mattliston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2018, 04:20 PM   #3 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

Rep Power: 50 slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to slo_eg8

cv shafts in place? does the speedo move with the tach?
koni yellow/gc coils
uber rare eg6 optional snowflakes

new 95 ej1.
slo_eg8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2018, 04:44 PM   #4 (permalink)

Rep Power: 32 si-hatch86 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !si-hatch86 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !si-hatch86 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
si-hatch86 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !si-hatch86 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !si-hatch86 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Send a message via AIM to si-hatch86 Send a message via MSN to si-hatch86 Send a message via Yahoo to si-hatch86

Yes CV shafts are good and rpm correspond with mph as they should when the car moves the little it can. The tricky part that got me was that it was driving and grip from clutch was good, clutch in real fast to coast a little before taking exit, once back in gear to get going again and nothing. Typically clutch being burnt theres slippage and signs before it just going out

RIP Pat Primmer
RIP MILO
Old 08-30-2018, 07:14 AM   #5 (permalink)
\/Your Mom Was Here\/

Rep Power: 54 BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 11 reviews

Could have a broken disc or spring that sprung. The D17 trans seems pretty well built, no problems with the 220k+ unit in the 05 I sold, still see it going every day.

2005 Civic EX Sedan (ES2)

You will be missed but not forgotten.

Quote:
I actually jerk off to my rep points, neg rep makes me thumb my bung, what now brown cow? I finished twice.
BeerDrinkin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2018, 06:29 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerDrinkin View Post
Could have a broken disc or spring that sprung. The D17 trans seems pretty well built, no problems with the 220k+ unit in the 05 I sold, still see it going every day.
This seems to be exactly what happened. Started to removed things to pull trans. Removed starter and theres a handful of clutch disc material sitting within reach. Gonna pull and replace tomorrow.

Side note what's the easiest way to removed trans on the 02 body, I'm used to dropping on side on my 4th and 5th gen.

RIP Pat Primmer
RIP MILO
Old 09-01-2018, 10:30 PM   #7 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by si-hatch86 View Post
This seems to be exactly what happened. Started to removed things to pull trans. Removed starter and theres a handful of clutch disc material sitting within reach. Gonna pull and replace tomorrow.

Side note what's the easiest way to removed trans on the 02 body, I'm used to dropping on side on my 4th and 5th gen.
Drop the whole cradle with engine and trans....guess why I'll never own one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2018, 07:08 AM   #8 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

Ive done a clutch and flywheel on a 7th gen without dropping the trans out of the car.

Takes a bit of "clearing out" the engine bay above the tranny to do so, but it is possible if your cradle bolts are severely rusted like a friend of mines' were.

Its a pain in the ass, and aligning the new clutch disc REQUIRES a second person to assist from below, but it is possible.

Removing the cradle is FAR easier if the cradle bolts allow and suspension bolts are compliant

Id advise simply cutting swaybar linkages and replacing them if the cradle gets dropped. While doing an RSX up north here, the swaybar bracket bolts broke and it was a pain in teh ass to deal with a loose swaybar all day.

2003 Hyundai Sonata GLS 2.7 Delta 197k

1998 Cadillac Seville SLS just broke 100k
2001 civic LX coupe MTX 199k
Sometimes, the difficult path is the easiest path
D/B/F/H/K compression questions?

Build what you have!

mattliston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2018, 01:59 PM   #9 (permalink)

Bone I can see why youd never own one. After this I wont either. Ended up just pulling motor out the top and doing some other maintenance to motor while it's out. Update in clutch, one side of the clutch disc is non-existent. I'll stick to my 4th gen civics...

RIP Pat Primmer
RIP MILO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in