89 CRX Trans in 89 Hatch - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Ľ Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Ľ Transmission alley

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2018, 02:52 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default 89 CRX Trans in 89 Hatch

Hopefully a rather easy question but hard to find a yes or no answer online, I picked up a L3 cable trans (L3-9021329) from an 89 CRX from what I was told and wanted to know if it will fit in my 89 hatch with a D15b2. No idea if it is LS or what so any info is helpful!
Shelden is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2018, 03:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

Rep Power: 50 slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to slo_eg8

if it came out of a d series chassis, it will go back in a d series chassis.
koni yellow/gc coils
uber rare eg6 optional snowflakes

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

new 95 ej1.
slo_eg8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2018, 06:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

your clutch setup may be hit or miss. 1988 and some of the early 1989 civics/crxs had a different clutch setup, and I have zero clue if that effects the output shaft of the transmission.

I wanna say it does not effect it, but Ive been wrong before.

Id look up an oem honda parts website, and look up a 1989 crx si, and see if two part numbers are listed in the transmission parts breakdown diagram. If only one part number for the output shaft, you are golden!

BTW, that SI trans will help your car move out noticeably better.

Might not be a bad idea to get a new clutch and pressure plate setup while you swap.

Also, inspect the rear main seal of the engine for any oil leaks while you are at it. Its definitely old enough where time is enough reason to cause a leak, even with good oil change intervals

2003 Hyundai Sonata GLS 2.7 Delta 197k

1998 Cadillac Seville SLS just broke 100k
2001 civic LX coupe MTX 199k
Sometimes, the difficult path is the easiest path
D/B/F/H/K compression questions?

Build what you have!

mattliston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2018, 07:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

How do you know he has an Si trans? Could be just an identical DX trans.

Will need to check the rings on the input shaft though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2018, 07:20 PM   #5 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo_eg8 View Post
if it came out of a d series chassis, it will go back in a d series chassis.
I'd love to see you put an 86 Integra trans in a 2004 Civic....both are D series chassis....

Quote:
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
Old 07-15-2018, 07:46 PM   #6 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

Rep Power: 50 slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to slo_eg8

Quote:
Originally Posted by transzex View Post
I'd love to see you put an 86 Integra trans in a 2004 Civic....both are D series chassis....

89 crx into an 89 civic......general rule of thumb, both same generation.

with money anything is possible
koni yellow/gc coils
uber rare eg6 optional snowflakes

new 95 ej1.
slo_eg8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2018, 09:05 PM   #7 (permalink)
n00b

You are awesome! Thank you, I guess it is an SI trans, has the gold tag and i'll have to check the spline count before I order a clutch. I will probably pull the engine and old trans all together and change out the gaskets. Would you recommend a easy engine swap I could do at the same time (D series obviously) I already have the MPFI swap so that should help. The D15b2 has 220,000+ miles on it and i'm sure it was not and easy 220,000...
Old 07-15-2018, 09:13 PM   #8 (permalink)
n00b

True, money does help haha but yeah I would think it would be pretty straight forward but looks like it might not be seeing this period of D series trannys can be complicated depending on year. Little things like the trans-chassis mount look different than the one on the car now and also since it might be an SI trans, spline count, ect. I've never done something like this before so I just want to be sure
Old 07-16-2018, 12:14 AM   #9 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelden View Post
You are awesome! Thank you, I guess it is an SI trans, has the gold tag and i'll have to check the spline count before I order a clutch. I will probably pull the engine and old trans all together and change out the gaskets. Would you recommend a easy engine swap I could do at the same time (D series obviously) I already have the MPFI swap so that should help. The D15b2 has 220,000+ miles on it and i'm sure it was not and easy 220,000...
What does a gold tag mean? Nothing unless you are going to the Chocolate Factory.

"D" Trans Guru

Quote:
Old 07-16-2018, 05:00 AM   #10 (permalink)
n00b

Well the trans on my hatch now doesn’t have a gold identificatiom tag so it must be something, trust me im far from a guru or I would not be on here in the first place
Old 07-16-2018, 04:19 PM   #11 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....

Quote:
Well the trans on my hatch now doesnít have a gold identificatiom tag so it must be something, trust me im far from a guru or I would not be on here in the first place
All ED trans came with a gold sticker with an identification number on them. My guess is your other trans has had the sticker removed, or it fell off.

Quote:
How do you know he has an Si trans? Could be just an identical DX trans.

Will need to check the rings on the input shaft though...

This pic has been my go to reference for so long haha. It's bang on.

EFB055 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2018, 05:33 PM   #12 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

If you want an easy motor swap, set the foundation FIRST.

do the necessary wiring swapping/modifications to allow an OBD1 conversion, and enjoy 10-20hp increase on that d15b2 just from getting a proper plenum intake manifold and 4 injectors.

This will also set the foundation for a tunable setup, allowing you to have some fun even with stock engines. a d15b7 from a 92-95 dx/lx civic is just a factory OBD1 converted d15b2 with a different intake manifold, and look at the stock performance numbers.

2003 Hyundai Sonata GLS 2.7 Delta 197k

1998 Cadillac Seville SLS just broke 100k
2001 civic LX coupe MTX 199k
Sometimes, the difficult path is the easiest path
D/B/F/H/K compression questions?

Build what you have!

mattliston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2018, 12:42 AM   #13 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFB055 View Post
All ED trans came with a gold sticker with an identification number on them. My guess is your other trans has had the sticker removed, or it fell off.
Also incorrect. Some had white stickers like 92+

Quote:
Old 07-17-2018, 05:35 AM   #14 (permalink)
n00b

So if the car already has MPFI (has the resistor box also) it’s most likley converted over to OBD1? I didn’t do the swap myself so i’m not sure if they did it the right way or not... it works so im not complaining
Old 07-17-2018, 05:36 AM   #15 (permalink)
n00b

I’ll get some pictures of the trans also
Old 07-17-2018, 03:21 PM   #16 (permalink)
n00b

Queen Elizabeth I poems
Old 07-17-2018, 06:47 PM   #17 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....

Quote:
Also incorrect. Some had white stickers like 92+
Interesting, but the point was more that it has an identification tag. Which models came with a white sticker? Were the identical otherwise?

EFB055 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2018, 01:21 AM   #18 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Quote:
89 for sure, half drilled shafts or not?

AWD Trans from a Wagon, this could be fun!

Quote:

Last edited by transzex; 07-18-2018 at 01:33 AM.
Old 07-18-2018, 01:31 AM   #19 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFB055 View Post
Interesting, but the point was more that it has an identification tag. Which models came with a white sticker? Were the identical otherwise?
88-91, Honda mixed it all up. How many splines, which shafts were only half drilled, which 1-2 got the newer dampers. What about the newer 1-2 hubs with older non-indexed 1-2 dampers....

Or since the older non indexed 1-2 dampers are no longer available and you get sent the newer indexed units and you have to grind the three tabs off, or sub in a different 1-2 hub that allows indexing of the dampers.

It's a cluster fuck and why I've never documented all the little issues of the 88-91 transmissions.

Quote:
Old 07-18-2018, 04:52 AM   #20 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
89 for sure, half drilled shafts or not?

AWD Trans from a Wagon, this could be fun!
Iíll have to look but would I still be able to just use this as a FWD trans? No idea it was AWD when I bought it haha and also where does the shift linkage hook up 😶
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in