need some serious tranny help :( - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Transmission alley

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2018, 10:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default need some serious tranny help :(

Hello everyone its siregcivic, just waiting to get my password reset... anyway..

My transmission is a hydro b16 with ls 4.2 final drive I just rebuilt the transmission about 7 months ago with new bearings and carbon synchro I use the car for road racing and I don't drive it very often but I've been doing a lot of work to it recently so i was going to take it around the block then I heard this noise when I was pushing the car out of the garage.

I opened the trans and found some spider gears broken on the open diff so I decided to go with the Mfactory clutch type 1.5 way lsd and installed that synchrotech shaved my case for the clearance of the diff and everything looks fine but im getting this noise

it look like the ring gear bolts were hitting first gear on the countershaft so i machined them down about 20thou but its still making this noise and I dont know what in the hell is going on with it, everything looks fine and it shifts in all gears and spins like normal but i still haven't installed it into the car because I don't want to break it.

If anyone has any ideas or they need me to open the case and put pictures i will as of now I am stumped

thankyou
siregcivic1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2018, 11:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 2 drtalon123 is starting to learn the ropesdrtalon123 is starting to learn the ropesdrtalon123 is starting to learn the ropesdrtalon123 is starting to learn the ropesdrtalon123 is starting to learn the ropesdrtalon123 is starting to learn the ropes
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

You don't think any pieces of metal from when the spiders self destructed ended up getting caught in any of the open style bearings did they? Metal has a funny way of working itself into weird places, and metal that has made its way into any of the roller bearings for some reason NEVER wants to dislodge. It will stay there and continue to wreak havoc on all the rollers and races. I would completely strip down all components on the main and countershafts and clean everything again just to make sure. Also check the diff roller bearings manually.

Since it seems you are performing all of this work yourself, you are very mechanically savvy. Have you tried running the transmission on an engine stand out of the car? I built an adapter using an old clutch disc and attached it to a v-belt pulley so I could use a 120V 3/4HP motor with a smaller pulley to turn the input shaft of the transmission with it bolted to the stand.

This way, you can run the transmission with no load with a bit of oil in it and manually run through the gears. The "clutch" pedal for this device was simply the 3/4 HP motor mounted to a wooden plank and a hinge that I could lift up slightly to take pressure off the drive belt to slow or stop the input shaft from turning. Change gears on the shift linkage rod with a screwdriver (just remember everything is backwards and upside down when you shift straight from the rod haha)

This allows you to "ghetto" bench test the transmission before reinstallation into the car. You could probably build this setup for less than $100 if you already have an engine stand and an old clutch disc. I happened to have all of this laying around when I built mine.

When you have all of this built, you can see where the noise is inside the trans by running it and listening to the case with a cheap mechanics stethoscope. If it is in the trans, take the trans apart (much faster than removing it from the car) remembering where the noisy area was and try to take things apart/turn things/isolate things on the bench that came from that area, and see what you get.

Hope this helps!
drtalon123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2018, 12:46 AM   #3 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

Dear Sir, please provide tranny pron at your earliest convienence as well as describing the first gear to bolts issues. Note the the countershaft is lifted up into the lockring during finally assembly.

Also, how did you spec out the settings on the MF PLated LSD when purchased?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2018, 12:52 AM   #4 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by drtalon123 View Post
You don't think any pieces of metal from when the spiders self destructed ended up getting caught in any of the open style bearings did they? Metal has a funny way of working itself into weird places, and metal that has made its way into any of the roller bearings for some reason NEVER wants to dislodge. It will stay there and continue to wreak havoc on all the rollers and races. I would completely strip down all components on the main and countershafts and clean everything again just to make sure. Also check the diff roller bearings manually.

Since it seems you are performing all of this work yourself, you are very mechanically savvy. Have you tried running the transmission on an engine stand out of the car? I built an adapter using an old clutch disc and attached it to a v-belt pulley so I could use a 120V 3/4HP motor with a smaller pulley to turn the input shaft of the transmission with it bolted to the stand.

This way, you can run the transmission with no load with a bit of oil in it and manually run through the gears. The "clutch" pedal for this device was simply the 3/4 HP motor mounted to a wooden plank and a hinge that I could lift up slightly to take pressure off the drive belt to slow or stop the input shaft from turning. Change gears on the shift linkage rod with a screwdriver (just remember everything is backwards and upside down when you shift straight from the rod haha)

This allows you to "ghetto" bench test the transmission before reinstallation into the car. You could probably build this setup for less than $100 if you already have an engine stand and an old clutch disc. I happened to have all of this laying around when I built mine.

When you have all of this built, you can see where the noise is inside the trans by running it and listening to the case with a cheap mechanics stethoscope. If it is in the trans, take the trans apart (much faster than removing it from the car) remembering where the noisy area was and try to take things apart/turn things/isolate things on the bench that came from that area, and see what you get.

Hope this helps!
A Goodyear 20v 1/2" impact from Pep Boys is all that you need to spin the input shaft using PCV tubing for an EBAY 3" short ram intake and two hose clamps.

I know you are new to here, but SirEGCivic is not....he's just been MIA since the AG/VS hacking issue required all the passwords to be reset.

His original username

https://www.d-series.org/forums/memb...iregcivic.html

Some of my B series customers of recent

2015 SCCA Runoffs FP National Champion, Kevin Ruck
2017 SCCA Runoffs STL National Champion, Second place, was consultant on 3rd place as well. Roberts, Kutil, Dunn (ex-Moser ITA CRX)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.

Last edited by transzex; 07-29-2018 at 12:57 AM.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in