D-tranny swap. step by step? best one to use? - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Transmission alley

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2005, 08:47 PM   #1 (permalink)
mmmpappi127

Default D-tranny swap. step by step? best one to use?

my transmission is done on my D15. i need to know the step by step on how to swap it and the best one to put on it. i have a D16 tranny but i wanna make sure it will fit and all?
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2005, 06:18 AM   #2 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 necro smells like Boratnecro smells like Boratnecro smells like Boratnecro smells like Boratnecro smells like Boratnecro smells like Borat
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

I'm not a 100% sure but it should fit. To give u a step by step i'll give u a ruff list of what to do.

Disconnect your battery
Take out your starter 12mm, 14mm.
Drain out the tranny oil 3/8 rachet
Take off passenger axles 32mm socket & shock fork 17mm
Take off shift linkage assume 10mm, 12mm
All tranny bolts 17mm, except the rear. Rear should be 19mm 3 bolts (not 100% sure)
Before u down tranny down dont foget to take off clutch cylinder 10mm/12mm 2 bolts.

If i forgot something can some1 correct me.
necro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2005, 09:52 PM   #3 (permalink)
Dx97

1. Disconnect battery
2. Disconnect all hookups on top, (Vtec, speedometer, remove all clips to the transmission, etc)
3. Remove the starter. (2 12 mm bolts i think)
4. U can drain the tranny now or not do it at all thats up 2 you.
5. Remove the back transmission mount and the plate next to it. (19 mm bolts)
6. Remove all bolts from the transmission to the block.
7. (Should do this before step 5) Take off the suspension on both sides... its alot easier and safer in the long run to take out BOTH cv axles while doing this to make sure you dont rip a boot or break the axle.
8. Remove the Front tranny mount.
9. Take the shift linkage down. (wont come out till the tranny is off)
10. Jack up the motor in the middle and take the passenger top mount off.
11. At this point there should be nothing holding the transmission on. So start messing with it till u get it to come out. Once it comes loose just slide it out, remember the shift linkage will come out with it.
12. Put your new Tranny in and repeat everything, just backwards. That should be it.

The sizes needed are:

10,12,14,17,19 mm. (12 point 10mm for the clutch if you replace it at this time)
U will need a breaker bar probably.

Steady working it should only take about 4-5 hours to finish.

Also the gears in the d16 tranny are shorter i think (if its vtec). I know the d15'z have long gears.

Old 11-16-2005, 08:59 AM   #4 (permalink)
clean95EX

ok, now Dx97 dosent know shit, i was helping him the other day on his swap and all he did was bug me about what to do and anyways "7. (Should do this before step 5) " WTF? last time i checked that was step 4. chad is remedial, and i dont know everything but i think you have to drain the tranny fluid. but its not that hard and dont let him lie to you it took him about 8 hours, but then again we were acting a fool the whole time. and the more you swap the easier it gets, i think ive changed more transmissions this year than i have oil. but good luck on the swap!
Old 11-16-2005, 09:20 AM   #5 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 necro smells like Boratnecro smells like Boratnecro smells like Boratnecro smells like Boratnecro smells like Boratnecro smells like Borat
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by clean95EX
ok, now Dx97 dosent know shit, i was helping him the other day on his swap and all he did was bug me about what to do and anyways "7. (Should do this before step 5) " WTF? last time i checked that was step 4. chad is remedial, and i dont know everything but i think you have to drain the tranny fluid. but its not that hard and dont let him lie to you it took him about 8 hours, but then again we were acting a fool the whole time. and the more you swap the easier it gets, i think ive changed more transmissions this year than i have oil. but good luck on the swap!
Haha well atleast yall had a goodtime. I usually drain the tranny fluid out.
necro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2005, 10:27 AM   #6 (permalink)
whatthehell1051

does haynes manual tell ya
Old 11-16-2005, 10:51 AM   #7 (permalink)
VizuaL_z6

It should. And yea we had a good time, we always do. I was actually drinkin a beer during the swap which is another reason it took 8 hours lol.
Old 11-18-2005, 03:55 PM   #8 (permalink)
mmmpappi127

well i got a tranny from a 93EX D16VTEC and im gonna put it on soon with a stage one clutch. any idea on how well that will go together?
Old 11-19-2005, 06:43 PM   #9 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 gloryhog is obviously a regulargloryhog is obviously a regulargloryhog is obviously a regulargloryhog is obviously a regulargloryhog is obviously a regulargloryhog is obviously a regulargloryhog is obviously a regulargloryhog is obviously a regular
iTrader Score: 15 reviews

*stage 1 clutch will work if its for that application.

*I would highly recommend replacing the input shaft bearing if you dont positively know the condition of the tranny, it can take some time but I have put an ex tranny in only to find out that the ISB was fried.
gloryhog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2005, 06:58 PM   #10 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

i did a total swap from an auto to 5 spd usin a 91 si tranny in my 89 dx and it worx fine no fitting problems at all
RadBradRex89DX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2013, 05:48 PM   #11 (permalink)
n00b

Unhappy Need help pls

Hey I'm in the proses of taking my tranny out, I think I took all the bolts out but it won't budge, there is a bracket that connects in two spots one on both sides of the oil pan do I need to take that off the tranny or should it just come out now?
Madictaz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2013, 05:56 PM   #12 (permalink)
ministry of mayhem!

Rep Power: 48 eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 37 reviews
Send a message via AIM to eddcartes Send a message via Yahoo to eddcartes

take the bracket off.
Evil spirits beautiful naked girl live boobs

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
I mess with cars because it's more socially acceptable than a cocaine habit ... although the cocaine would probably be cheaper.
Resident D-series.org metalhead Alliance member #666!
rip emilio gallardo (milo). outstanding father, spouse, friend and member of dso. you will always be missed.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

rip, patprimmer. last of the titans.

one thing i've learned from this job is to always keep a pack of cheese for your whine.

my ED6 build thread:

my dyno compe build:

eddcartes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2013, 06:13 PM   #13 (permalink)
D-series soldier

jeremy85 is a Top Aussiejeremy85 is a Top Aussiejeremy85 is a Top Aussiejeremy85 is a Top Aussiejeremy85 is a Top Aussiejeremy85 is a Top Aussiejeremy85 is a Top Aussiejeremy85 is a Top Aussiejeremy85 is a Top Aussiejeremy85 is a Top Aussiejeremy85 is a Top Aussie

And wiggle it like a mofo.

1995 Delcamino D15Beater7
Synchrotech EX trans / LSD clutch
Ebay Header/Hackpro Custom 2" Exhaust
Nitrous Express Wet Kit
Hackpro Custom one-off tow hitch.

Quote:
You win at everything forever!
jeremy85 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2013, 08:51 PM   #14 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

-disconnect battery
-take old trans off
-put new trans in
-check trans fluid
Old 10-13-2013, 08:58 AM   #15 (permalink)
n00b

Default thanks

does it have to come completely off or shoud it still come out with the two upper bolts out? the two lower ones are stuck, and the exhaust is in the way to get a ratchet in there
Madictaz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2013, 11:05 AM   #16 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 16 SOHCitTOem is hot as a volcanoSOHCitTOem is hot as a volcano
SOHCitTOem is hot as a volcanoSOHCitTOem is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 20 reviews

remove the exhaust and remove the bracket... you already said that the bracket is holding them in place right? take it off.

built single cam.

track tool.
SOHCitTOem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in