Random 4th gear Crunch - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Transmission alley

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2017, 04:24 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 8 ThumperCivic  is accepted as part of the communityThumperCivic  is accepted as part of the communityThumperCivic  is accepted as part of the communityThumperCivic  is accepted as part of the community
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Random 4th gear Crunch

[SOLVED]

I've been having a spot of tranny issues lately. First my clutch master cylinder went out, so that got replaced with a new OEM one. I've also learned that I need to change the fluid more regularly.

Anyways, while my CMC was going out, 4th gear started crunching when I downshifted from 5th. And ONLY downshifting from 5th. Never up from 3rd-4th. What's more is that this happens infrequently. It'll usually do it at least once durning my drives. When it does crunch, there's no resistance at all as I move the shifter to 4th.

Any idea what's going on? Everytime I search, I keep getting results for the infamous Honda 3rd gear grind.

Last edited by ThumperCivic; 07-31-2017 at 10:50 PM.
ThumperCivic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2017, 09:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

Likely 5th gear is not getting fluid (clogged oil port) and the roller bearings are going dry.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2017, 11:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 8 ThumperCivic  is accepted as part of the communityThumperCivic  is accepted as part of the communityThumperCivic  is accepted as part of the communityThumperCivic  is accepted as part of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by transzex View Post
Likely 5th gear is not getting fluid (clogged oil port) and the roller bearings are going dry.
Ah, I see... really glad you didn't say synchros going bad. What could I do to clear the oil port? Drain and replace the tranny fluid? Or do I have to crack open the tranny to clean it?
-Blox short shifter
-Exedy Stage 1 clutch
-Koni Yellows/Megan Coilover sleeves
-DC2 rear swaybar/BWR bracing
-Energy Suspension poly bushings
-eGay front strut bar
-4th gen Prelude front seats
-Koyorad radiator
-AEM Short Ram/Blox V-stack

Old 07-16-2017, 10:10 AM   #4 (permalink)

Rep Power: 27 Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!
Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 27 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Aquafina

The trans has to come completely apart.

3/4 slider and maybe MS 4th gear and synchro will probably need to be replaced. The damage was done when the CMC went out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rocket Motorsports, MFactory, Torco, Action Clutch, HASport, Synchrotech, OS Giken, Gear-X, Wavetrac, Quaife
Official MFactory North American Installer

Aquafina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2017, 11:31 AM   #5 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquafina View Post
The trans has to come completely apart.

3/4 slider and maybe MS 4th gear and synchro will probably need to be replaced. The damage was done when the CMC went out.
Ugghh that was my worst fear. Welp, won't be so bad, I've opened the case a couple times to replace bearings. Do you think it's worth trying to do a fluid change first, or will that not do anything?

Also, n00b question, what does "MS" mean, "main shaft"?
-Blox short shifter
-Exedy Stage 1 clutch
-eGay front strut bar
-Koyorad radiator
Old 07-16-2017, 01:23 PM   #6 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

yes, mainshaft.

Quote:
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
Old 07-16-2017, 01:41 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Sounds good, I'll start ordering parts and keep this updated in case other have the same problem.
-Blox short shifter
-Exedy Stage 1 clutch
-eGay front strut bar
-Koyorad radiator
Old 07-16-2017, 01:44 PM   #8 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumperCivic View Post
Sounds good, I'll start ordering parts and keep this updated in case other have the same problem.
Can't order parts until you split it apart...

Quote:
Old 07-16-2017, 01:57 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by transzex View Post
Can't order parts until you split it apart...
True dat... I guess I'll start working on it tomorrow. Like I said, I'll keep you guys updated. I appreciate all of you guys who are more experienced than me, always giving solid advice.
-Blox short shifter
-Exedy Stage 1 clutch
-eGay front strut bar
-Koyorad radiator
Old 07-16-2017, 06:54 PM   #10 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Plus either of us have plenty of spare parts. The only gears I wouldn't have are the .702 5th. I put my last set in my cable DX trans for the CRX.

Quote:
Old 07-16-2017, 10:20 PM   #11 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Haha Yeah, I don't have a lot of spare parts like that. I keep bolts and washers mostly.

BTW, I changed my fluid just to see if that would help the issue, and it didn't really. Still crunched on my test drive. BUT, when I drove to and from work, no crunch. Didn't matter if I granny shifted or shifted a little hard, no sounds. I think I just got lucky, I'm still planning to open up the tranny. Just an interesting thing that happened after the fluid change.
-Blox short shifter
-Exedy Stage 1 clutch
-eGay front strut bar
-Koyorad radiator
Old 07-22-2017, 01:28 PM   #12 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Finally got around to taking my tranny apart. Shift A arm bolt stripped, so gotta get a new one of them. -_- No clogged oil ports to report either.

But anyways, the gears and forks seem fine to me... I'm not really sure how to check for bent forks, worn sliders, or damaged gears. Am I looking for excessive play in the sliders? The gears all have little grooves lined up the same on each tooth, I assume those are made that way?
-Blox short shifter
-Exedy Stage 1 clutch
-eGay front strut bar
-Koyorad radiator
Old 07-23-2017, 01:34 PM   #13 (permalink)
D-series soldier

After examining my gears more, the synchros look fine as well as the sliders. However, the 3rd/4th fork has some sharp edges and significantly more wear than the others. Also, 5th gear's roller bearing makes a lot of noise when I spin it. Replacing the fork seems like a simple solution, but what about replacing 5th gear's roller bearing??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1911_1500845621775.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	524.4 KB
ID:	122009   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1910_1500845641687.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	576.8 KB
ID:	122017  
Old 07-23-2017, 01:44 PM   #14 (permalink)

Rep Power: 27 Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!
Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 27 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Aquafina

Everything is in the Helms.

Rocket Motorsports, MFactory, Torco, Action Clutch, HASport, Synchrotech, OS Giken, Gear-X, Wavetrac, Quaife
Official MFactory North American Installer

Aquafina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2017, 04:30 PM   #15 (permalink)
D-series soldier

For sure, I'll have to get one. My Haynes manual won't cut it anymore.
Old 07-23-2017, 10:38 PM   #16 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Not clear enough pic of 3-4 fork, but I'll bet it needs replaced along with the 3-4 hub and slider. There are cheap options.

Quote:
Old 07-31-2017, 10:49 PM   #17 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Sorry it's been a while, been busy with working 2 jobs and trying to fix my car. Anyway, I have an update: it's fixed! Here's what I found:
-3/4 fork was knackered, so that got replaced; hub and slider were good
-I managed to break a synchro spring when putting the countershaft back together, so I got new ones from Synchrotech (based on another recommendation from Aquafina in another thread). Super nice people, would definitely recommend and buy from again!
-5th gear's needle bearing made noise, so that got replaced
-replaced the leaky rear main seal
-replaced a leaky oil pan gasket (another story for another time)
-a slave cylinder bolt due to a rounded bolt head
-stripped a lug nut, got a new one

The result? Each shift feels SOOO NICE. It's confident and smooth, I feel like my short shifter can really shine now. Thanks again for all your guys' help, I can't tell you how much I love this forum for it.
-Blox short shifter
-Exedy Stage 1 clutch
-eGay front strut bar
-Koyorad radiator
Old 08-01-2017, 12:21 AM   #18 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Hansen family crew at Synchrotech is bomb to deal with...main reason I'm still building.

Order parts on Weds. night/Thurs. morning and they arrive on Saturday via USPS Priority, then drive 150 miles to finish an install that wiped out 3-4-5 sliders and synchros because a rear trans mount bolt came out. Britney rocks...period.

Don't forget Kiwi as well...running his own thing at Special Projects....

Quote:
Old 08-01-2017, 03:02 AM   #19 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Heck yeah, they're awesome people! They're actually local to me, so I had my dad drive down and pick up parts for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in