D15b JDM transmission for 100 bucks - rebuild parts? - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Transmission alley

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2017, 01:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 13 evotec1 will become famous soon enoughevotec1 will become famous soon enoughevotec1 will become famous soon enough
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default D15b JDM transmission for 100 bucks - rebuild parts?

This guy locally will split the transmission off his imported engine for me for a hundred bucks since he needs a Cable Transmission and I was wondering if it's worth the trouble to pick up and have checked out by the shop

If something's wrong and it needs parts from Japan that would suck

I'm going to check it out tomorrow and I'm having trouble finding information about transmission ID for the JDM d15b as well, even when searching

Another guy has just a usdm ex tranny for sale but it's an extra hundred bucks

Thoughts?

If it's too much trouble and it's not LSD I just may go with the SI
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2017, 02:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

hotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussie
iTrader Score: 30 reviews

Should be the same or close as a EX/Si trans.

Quote:
Take it from somebody who has actually done it more then once and not read about it on the internet......
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
hotrodj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2017, 02:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 13 evotec1 will become famous soon enoughevotec1 will become famous soon enoughevotec1 will become famous soon enough

Word, just worried about replacement parts. He's never installed it or driven it so it's kind of an unknown quantity

Old 06-10-2017, 03:11 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

hotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussie
iTrader Score: 30 reviews

Google where/how to read the casting codes on Honda trans cases. Thinking it should be S20 B000. 40mm diff bearings.

Quote:
Take it from somebody who has actually done it more then once and not read about it on the internet......
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
hotrodj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2017, 03:14 PM   #5 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

Every Honda transmission I have worked on....was made in Japan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2017, 11:32 PM   #6 (permalink)

Rep Power: 27 Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!
Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 27 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Aquafina

Unless it has LSD its the same as the US transmissions. If it has LSD only the diff and FD are different.

Rocket Motorsports, MFactory, Torco, Action Clutch, HASport, Synchrotech, OS Giken, Gear-X, Wavetrac, Quaife
Official MFactory North American Installer

Aquafina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2017, 07:52 AM   #7 (permalink)
D-series lover

If it's lsd I'm gonna blow the welds on my intake
Old 06-11-2017, 12:07 PM   #8 (permalink)

Rep Power: 27 Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!
Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!

If its LSD buy it and flip it. The OEM LSD is worthless.

Rocket Motorsports, MFactory, Torco, Action Clutch, HASport, Synchrotech, OS Giken, Gear-X, Wavetrac, Quaife

Old 06-20-2017, 08:46 AM   #9 (permalink)
D-series lover

Just looks like a plain old non lsd s40 b000 box to me.

Anything I can do to diagnose it's condition or should I just add new oil and slap it in and see?
Old 06-20-2017, 02:26 PM   #10 (permalink)

Tear it down and inspect it. Or at the very least split the case.

Old 06-21-2017, 05:51 PM   #11 (permalink)
D-series lover

See I'm not quite there yet. If this was an extra and we didn't need it somewhat quickly I would, so once we get the bad box out maybe I'll open that up. I'm gonna ask the auto tech instructor if he has a student he'd trust to inspect it.

Other than that the place that replaced my seals and isb claims a free inspection, but I have worries about the reassembly if I declined/didn't need any work. Isb and seals were nearly 600 bucks... but I'm happy enough I guess it still works food.
Old 06-23-2017, 01:05 AM   #12 (permalink)

ISB seals are less than a hundred bucks.

Old 06-25-2017, 10:27 PM   #13 (permalink)
D-series lover

Just for parts?
Old 06-26-2017, 12:34 AM   #14 (permalink)

Yep. If you're paying 500 on labor you got ripped.

Old 06-26-2017, 09:19 AM   #15 (permalink)
D-series lover

Yeah they did me no favors except for delivering a working tranny. Still tryna find someone that can evaluate the new box though cuz I felt it was a bit steep at the time too
Old 06-26-2017, 06:52 PM   #16 (permalink)

Where are you located?

Old 06-27-2017, 01:43 AM   #17 (permalink)
Asshole

Rep Power: 53 Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 42 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Chrisfrom1986

Man you got ripped off big time.

Chrisfrom1986 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2017, 03:39 PM   #18 (permalink)
D-series lover

Tacoma WA ...still tryna find someone to check it out, haven't given up hope yet
Old 06-28-2017, 05:42 AM   #19 (permalink)

You could have shipped it roundtrip to me and still saved money after paying my DSO labor rate.

Old 06-28-2017, 09:19 AM   #20 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

$500 shop labor vs our privateer labor, about right.

Last I looked it was 7.5 hours book rate for a rebuild, 13 hours total is R&R'd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in