Track Built Turbo d16z6 tranny options? - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Transmission alley

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2017, 10:47 AM   #1 (permalink)
Pez
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Track Built Turbo d16z6 tranny options?

Hey guys, so im looking for the optimum ratios for racing on a short track like Streets of Willow in CA. Trying to find better gearing without spending a boat load of money. Also i will need to drive the car on the freeway, so id still like to be able to cruise at 65-70. I have one some research on line, and so far the only options i have come up with are either D2B, 4.9 FD with stock gearing, or jdm L3 3&4th gear swap. Im planning on building a Z6 with a small BW EFR, fully built bottom and top end spinning to 9k. I would like to get some opinions from people who have experience with these routes, and your opinions on the pro's and con's of each.

Reason for keeping the D instead of going with a B or K are partly expenses, and CA BAR/Ref. I had a MKIII Supra in the past with a 2jz swap and got a ref ticket, long story short ended up parting out and crushing the shell for the judge, so i dont want to go down that road again.
Pez is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2017, 01:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

DX 1-2, L3 3-4, choice of 5th for the highway. Since it will be a street car as well a 2-3-4 build will be better than a 3-4-5 + 4.5/4.7/4.9 FD.

James @ Ghostwerks if you needed a trans. builder in the area.

https://www.facebook.com/ghostwerksinc/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2017, 07:30 AM   #3 (permalink)

Rep Power: 27 Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!
Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 27 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Aquafina

MFactory close gear set. With an OEM 4.058 FD 80mph will put you at about 4,800 RPM. Unless you want to build a trans for every track, this combo cannot be beat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rocket Motorsports, MFactory, Torco, Action Clutch, HASport, Synchrotech, OS Giken, Gear-X, Wavetrac, Quaife
Official MFactory North American Installer

Aquafina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2017, 04:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
Pez
n00b

Thanks guys for the info and opinions. I think the problem with the M-Factory is that it is actually too close of a gear ratio, maybe good for low power builds but im planning on making some decent power. I think i would run out of gearing too fast.

Im liking the idea you put out there James about the dx 1-2 L3 3-4 and si 5th, what about si/ex 1-2nd L3 3-4 and si 5th? do you really need the longer 1-2 from the dx or will the si suffice. im trying to mimic a gsr tranny. thanks for the input
Old 02-27-2017, 05:11 PM   #5 (permalink)

Rep Power: 27 Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!
Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!

You're not going to run out of gear at Streets. If you're worried about running faster than 135mph (8,000 RPM, 205/50/15's) you can run the 3.722 FD and that bumps it up to 148mph. Then again, the setup Bone mentioned tops out at 125mph in 4th so you have less speed than the MFactory gear set. Not to mention worse RPM drops in every gear (that means you're putting down less power after every upshift) and DOHC ZC 3rd gears are getting very hard to get.

I've run both setups on track, including the DX 1/2 with DOHC ZC 3rd, a much shorter 4th and a 4.7 FD and the close gear set trumped them both.

Rocket Motorsports, MFactory, Torco, Action Clutch, HASport, Synchrotech, OS Giken, Gear-X, Wavetrac, Quaife

Old 03-01-2017, 06:13 AM   #6 (permalink)
Pez
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquafina View Post
You're not going to run out of gear at Streets. If you're worried about running faster than 135mph (8,000 RPM, 205/50/15's) you can run the 3.722 FD and that bumps it up to 148mph. Then again, the setup Bone mentioned tops out at 125mph in 4th so you have less speed than the MFactory gear set. Not to mention worse RPM drops in every gear (that means you're putting down less power after every upshift) and DOHC ZC 3rd gears are getting very hard to get.

I've run both setups on track, including the DX 1/2 with DOHC ZC 3rd, a much shorter 4th and a 4.7 FD and the close gear set trumped them both.
Ok, good to know! this is the kind of information im looking for, people with experience of both. Now what do you guys think about the D2B swap, do you think its worth the $600? Then i could just get a b18c type r tranny and the swap kit and call it done, maybe more money up front but the gearing would be easier to change.
Old 03-01-2017, 07:24 AM   #7 (permalink)
n00b

Rep Power: 0 scrambles2112 is learning the way of the Dscrambles2112 is learning the way of the D

+1 for the m-factory close ratio gears. I'm running those with the 3.7 fd aquafina mentioned. It's actually the tranny TheToaster built. Quite a wonderful spread.
scrambles2112 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2017, 09:08 AM   #8 (permalink)
Pez
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrambles2112 View Post
+1 for the m-factory close ratio gears. I'm running those with the 3.7 fd aquafina mentioned. It's actually the tranny TheToaster built. Quite a wonderful spread.
Thankyou for the input, ill tally it up to one more for the m-factory.
Old 03-01-2017, 11:26 AM   #9 (permalink)

I despise D2B. At that point just go with a complete B series swap.

Old 03-01-2017, 11:26 AM   #10 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquafina View Post
I despise D2B. At that point just go with a complete B series swap.
fully agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in