B-series axle question - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Transmission alley

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2017, 07:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 7 Henry44 is da #1 stunnaHenry44 is da #1 stunnaHenry44 is da #1 stunnaHenry44 is da #1 stunnaHenry44 is da #1 stunnaHenry44 is da #1 stunnaHenry44 is da #1 stunna
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default B-series axle question

I'm hoping to learn more here. I've searched and haven't found the answer to my question. We are stuffing a B20B with a hydro trans into a 91 CRX to make another rally car. To make things more simple, we want to not use an intermediate shaft. At first thinking, there seems to be no problem with going this route. Raxles can make any combination of CV joints we need.

Here is where I am confused. I think I read somewhere on one of the threads that came from my searching that the B-series trans doesn't have the circlip groove on the left hand side carrier, due to the intermediate shaft stuff. I can't find that post again to confirm this idea.

Is this the case and is this why we can't do the non-intermediate shaft thing? Or am I wrong and we can do the non-intermediate axle thing?

Last edited by Henry44; 02-16-2017 at 09:45 PM.
Henry44 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2017, 09:26 PM   #2 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

I'd have to look at some of the stock B diffs I have laying in the garage, and ZC diff or two as well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2017, 09:38 PM   #3 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

The best I can see of ALL the spare diffs I have here, both sides are machined the same, which makes sense on the bigger scale.

If I could get this one 92-93 B diff apart I would say the side gears were the same as ZC, but I failed and cannot confirm at this point.

I need a better 1/8" long reach punch to get the holding pin out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.

Old 02-23-2017, 09:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 7 Henry44 is da #1 stunnaHenry44 is da #1 stunnaHenry44 is da #1 stunnaHenry44 is da #1 stunnaHenry44 is da #1 stunnaHenry44 is da #1 stunnaHenry44 is da #1 stunna

So does this mean that if we can get axles built with the correct spline/cv joints on the appropriate ends, we can use one-piece axles like in the d-series?
Old 02-23-2017, 11:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Yes. IIRC Marty @ Raxles has done this. I believe he used Accord inners but best to call or email him.

Again, many threads over 20+ years but IIRC someone did a ZC trans using B axle on pass side, then a D axle with Accord inner on the drivers side.

Stupid JDM Del Sol trans from Gil Gilbert who make swap mounts...

Quote:
Old 02-24-2017, 06:50 AM   #6 (permalink)
D-series lover

Thanks. We are using a B series hydro trans (B20B block) with Integra spindles. Shouldn't be too hard to sort out. I did a search before posting, but clearly didn't use the right search string.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in