Brown Fluid from CV Boot (PICTURES) - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Transmission alley

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2017, 06:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 8 ThumperCivic  is accepted as part of the communityThumperCivic  is accepted as part of the communityThumperCivic  is accepted as part of the communityThumperCivic  is accepted as part of the community
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Brown Fluid from CV Boot (PICTURES)

Recently did some maintenance on my Civic (details in signature) and found that my driver side axle wasn't 100% in the tranny. So I thought I'd try to get it fully in. Undid it from the hub, pulled it out, gave it a few whacks with a rubber mallet.

It didn't go all the way in still (I suspect the circlip might have come off and is jammed in there), but this brown fluid was leaking out of the CV boot now. It didn't seem torn or anything, but it appeared to be leaking out of the edge of the boot as if the big metal band wasn't tight enough. I thought there was supposed to be grease in there, not fluid... The fluid has sprayed all over my exhaust and I think my subframe as well. Makes a burning rubber smell when I have the hot air on in the cabin.

Does anyone know what the heck this brown fluid is? I haven't been able to find any info, all the searches come up with is tranny fluid leaking, not this brown stuff. I assume a new metal band/clamp is in order?

From behind the intake manifold, looking down onto the subframe.

Underneath the car, looking at the exhaust, transmission on left and oil pan on the right. Notice the black residue from, I assume, the brown fluid burning.
-Blox short shifter
-Exedy Stage 1 clutch
-Koni Yellows/Megan Coilover sleeves
-DC2 rear swaybar/BWR bracing
-Energy Suspension poly bushings
-eGay front strut bar
-4th gen Prelude front seats
-Koyorad radiator
-AEM Short Ram/Blox V-stack
ThumperCivic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2017, 06:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

if it was not inserted fully into tranny, I would suspect the diff did not like that very much. also surprised you didnt lose all your tranny fluid.

I would not worry about the fluid or type. just grab a replacement boot, a couple of those pouches of synthetic CV joint grease at a partsstore, and throw them in.

Inspect the cv shaft end splines and make sure they did not get chewed up from not being installed 100%

2003 Hyundai Sonata GLS 2.7 Delta 197k
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1998 Cadillac Seville SLS just broke 100k
2001 civic LX coupe MTX 199k
Sometimes, the difficult path is the easiest path
D/B/F/H/K compression questions?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Build what you have!

mattliston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2017, 06:54 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 8 ThumperCivic  is accepted as part of the communityThumperCivic  is accepted as part of the communityThumperCivic  is accepted as part of the communityThumperCivic  is accepted as part of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattliston View Post
if it was not inserted fully into tranny, I would suspect the diff did not like that very much. also surprised you didnt lose all your tranny fluid.

I would not worry about the fluid or type. just grab a replacement boot, a couple of those pouches of synthetic CV joint grease at a partsstore, and throw them in.

Inspect the cv shaft end splines and make sure they did not get chewed up from not being installed 100%
I did it pretty quick, so I didn't lose much fluid. I'll be sure to get another boot ASAP and check out the splines. I don't recall seeing chewed up splines, but I shall check again when I pull it out. So far, it drives just fine, I hope I haven't jinxed it now.
-Blox short shifter
-Exedy Stage 1 clutch
-eGay front strut bar
-Koyorad radiator

Old 02-12-2017, 06:58 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

dont remove the new boot from packaging until you have confirmed it is actually bad.

you might be able to simply use a bigass intake tube clamp and re seal it after leaning the joint and re-greasing it

It is also very possible you have a cv axle that was sprayed with anti-corrosion shit, and never actually greased. you might be lucky!

2003 Hyundai Sonata GLS 2.7 Delta 197k

1998 Cadillac Seville SLS just broke 100k
2001 civic LX coupe MTX 199k
Sometimes, the difficult path is the easiest path
D/B/F/H/K compression questions?

Build what you have!

mattliston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2017, 07:34 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series soldier

So I thought I'd update. Turns out there was a small hole in the CV boot that was just big enough to spray my entire subframe, exhaust, and back of the engine with whatever that brown stuff was...

I originally got a Dorman Uni-Fit boot that was advertised as being for inboard, but it doesn't fit because it doesn't have the hex shape on the inside of it. DO NOT BUY THIS BOOT. Got an OEM one from Honda, put it on, and all is well with the world.

As for the axle going in, I figured out that if you have the gap in the snap ring pointed down, it just slides right in. Didn't seem to go in any further than I had it before, wondering if it's the seal in the tranny case that was the culprit.
-Blox short shifter
-Exedy Stage 1 clutch
-eGay front strut bar
-Koyorad radiator
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in