LSD swap - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Transmission alley

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2017, 05:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Question LSD swap

Got an S40 with OBX LSD and an S20 with oem diff. The only reference I can find in my Civic service manual to the diff reads "remove diff" & says that the ring gear bolts are left-hand thread. So once I unbolt & open the tranny case is it really that simple, just pick up the diffs to remove them & set them back in to replace them? I.ve never rebuilt a trans so I'd like to know if it is possible to swap diffs without removing/ disturbing the gear stacks & shift forks?
es1bkacsur is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2017, 07:09 AM   #2 (permalink)

Rep Power: 27 Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!
Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 27 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Aquafina

Gearstacks have to come out and the ring gear has to be swapped over. Keep the S40, more parts a few more parts are still available for it. Use the S20 diff, scrap the OBX.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rocket Motorsports, MFactory, Torco, Action Clutch, HASport, Synchrotech, OS Giken, Gear-X, Wavetrac, Quaife
Official MFactory North American Installer

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Aquafina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2017, 07:33 AM   #3 (permalink)
Tape-R taper/driver

Rep Power: 17 LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!
LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

Here's a walk-through I put together many moons ago.

Bone even chimed in with a couple of suggestions.

CRX Community Forum ? View topic - Differential Installation

Granted, it is for a B-series trans, but they are similar enough.
'91 Civic Tape-R
'91 Civic Wagon RT4WD
'03 Astro AWD
LowFlyin' is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2017, 07:47 AM   #4 (permalink)

Rep Power: 3 Jfab is learning the way of the DJfab is learning the way of the D

Yes the obx is junk. My brother had one, lasted 1 night at the track. Going to go with a nice one for this season.
Jfab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2017, 07:55 AM   #5 (permalink)
Tape-R taper/driver

Rep Power: 17 LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!
LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

Don't scrap the OBX! I need it for parts!!!
'91 Civic Tape-R
'91 Civic Wagon RT4WD
'03 Astro AWD
LowFlyin' is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2017, 10:13 AM   #6 (permalink)
D-series G0D

BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 78 reviews

Use the below link to get you to the point where you have removed the gear stacks, so you can then access the diff/ring gear :

https://www.d-series.org/forums/trans...ng-change.html
BLK92_D16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2017, 10:58 AM   #7 (permalink)

Rep Power: 3 Jfab is learning the way of the DJfab is learning the way of the D

Thanks for sharing the link.
Jfab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2017, 06:14 PM   #8 (permalink)

Rep Power: 3 ef89hatch28 will become famous soon enoughef89hatch28 will become famous soon enoughef89hatch28 will become famous soon enough

I just got my trans back together yesterday. I was very nervous to do it but it was very simple. Just take pictures. All you have to do is split the case and remove the main shaft and counter shaft then pull out the diff. The snap ring for the counter shaft, and lining up the shift for during reassembly are the only hard parts.
ef89hatch28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2017, 06:17 PM   #9 (permalink)

Rep Power: 3 ef89hatch28 will become famous soon enoughef89hatch28 will become famous soon enoughef89hatch28 will become famous soon enough

Here is the link for my thread when I did it. I took quite a few pics.
https://www.d-series.org/#/topics/301665
And the 6th post on the 1st page is the link to the very detailed write up I used.
ef89hatch28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in