Speedo cable gear removal - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Transmission alley

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2017, 02:57 PM   #1 (permalink)

Rep Power: 3 ef89hatch28 will become famous soon enoughef89hatch28 will become famous soon enoughef89hatch28 will become famous soon enough
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Speedo cable gear removal

This is an ef si cable transmission. Retaining clip is out. Cable is broke off and will not come out. I see the round end piece of the cable sheath is seized in there. I've tried to drill it out, used a very small grinder on my dremel. Even tried filing a screw driver very thin and tapping it through the slot where the retaining clip goes. No luck.
So my question is how to pull the whole housing/gear out of the trans? There are no 10mm bolts holding it in. I did read a post on here where someone posted a picture of the gear and it looks like it's just held in with an o ring. Any help is appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	JPEG_20170120_185516.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	309.6 KB
ID:	115937   Click image for larger version

Name:	JPEG_20170120_185545.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	312.8 KB
ID:	115945   Click image for larger version

Name:	JPEG_20170120_185610.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	287.5 KB
ID:	115953   Click image for larger version

Name:	JPEG_20170120_185635.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	244.4 KB
ID:	115961  
ef89hatch28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2017, 03:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

split trans totally apart, drive out from the inside. Might as well rebuild it while apart.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2017, 03:23 PM   #3 (permalink)

Rep Power: 3 ef89hatch28 will become famous soon enoughef89hatch28 will become famous soon enoughef89hatch28 will become famous soon enough

Well s**t lol. Never split a trans apart. Might just have to use my dx trans.
Thanks

Although, I might as well keep drilling and see what happens.

Last edited by slo_eg8; 01-23-2017 at 06:53 AM.

Old 01-20-2017, 04:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

would be helpful to clean the area you are working around.

get all that nasty shit out of the area, its gonna go into the tranny even if the cable end somehow comes out.

does that shaft piece come out? or is it part of the tranny housing?

My mindset would be to start with some wd40 or jb80 and let it soak. if that does not work, a propane torch on a CLEAN area should assist in removing it.

2003 Hyundai Sonata GLS 2.7 Delta 197k
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1998 Cadillac Seville SLS just broke 100k
2001 civic LX coupe MTX 199k
Sometimes, the difficult path is the easiest path
D/B/F/H/K compression questions?

Build what you have!

mattliston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2017, 04:47 PM   #5 (permalink)

I did try heating it, wd40, pb blaster. I ended up taking the transmission apart and got it out. Not bad for my first trans tear down.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	JPEG_20170120_204537.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	317.3 KB
ID:	115969   Click image for larger version

Name:	JPEG_20170120_204604.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	267.4 KB
ID:	115977   Click image for larger version

Name:	JPEG_20170120_204631.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	273.4 KB
ID:	115985   Click image for larger version

Name:	JPEG_20170120_204655.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	247.6 KB
ID:	115993  
Old 01-20-2017, 04:50 PM   #6 (permalink)

I did break it taking it out. And also, don't mind my mess. I thought I had drained it the other day, but that was my dx trans. Now tomorrow for the reassemble. Wish me luck

This is the write up i used and had it apart in less than 30 minutes.
http://www.honda-acura.net/forums/do...ld-89pics.html

Last edited by slo_eg8; 01-23-2017 at 06:53 AM.
Old 01-20-2017, 05:56 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

clean the magnet while the casing is apart, and if you have feeler gauges, now is the perfect time to check shit out. that tranny is old enough reverese is probably a pain, so see if its wore out the slot.

at least you can do a thorough cleaning and know everything is good to go!

Build what you have!

Old 01-20-2017, 05:59 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattliston View Post
clean the magnet while the casing is apart, and if you have feeler gauges, now is the perfect time to check shit out. that tranny is old enough reverese is probably a pain, so see if its wore out the slot.

at least you can do a thorough cleaning and know everything is good to go!
Yes and if I mess it up, I have another trans haha. A buddy told me the shift fork is the tough part with reassemble. I'm tossing around the idea of an lsd while I have it apart, but I that will cut a huge chunk out of my turbo budget
Old 01-21-2017, 05:39 AM   #9 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 27 Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!
Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 27 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Aquafina

Shift forks aren't hard in Honda's. Just hold it them with the stacks when dropping in.

LSD > turbo. Hit me up if you want to order one.
Aquafina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2017, 05:46 AM   #10 (permalink)

Definitely will
Old 01-21-2017, 06:10 AM   #11 (permalink)
D-series G0D

for the record, an LSD and better final drive on an otherwise fully stock motor setup is just as fun as a small turbo on an otherwise stock tranny setup..

SOOOOO much fun to rip into a corner full tilt and have 20-40% extra usable torque without boost lag

Build what you have!

Old 01-21-2017, 09:54 AM   #12 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Shift fork + gear stacks is a "three hand job" but once you've done it a few time like Aquafina and I have done, it gets easier.

88-91's are the easiest of the D's IMHO, not counting the CG boxes.

Quote:
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
Old 01-21-2017, 11:07 AM   #13 (permalink)

Also, does anyone know what this part is really called? I can't seem to find one anywhere
Old 01-21-2017, 11:47 AM   #14 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstewart4328 View Post
Also, does anyone know what this part is really called? I can't seem to find one anywhere
The speedo drive unit? Honda likely already sold them off, you'll have to find one used. What color was the gear?

Look under "clutch release", doubt this long link will work...

Cart Contents Honda Parts at HondaPartsDeals.com: Honda Accessory, Honda Car Parts, Honda Auto Parts, Honda Accord Parts

Quote:
Old 01-21-2017, 12:06 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by transzex View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstewart4328 View Post
The speedo drive unit? Honda likely already sold them off, you'll have to find one used. What color was the gear?

Cart Contents Honda Parts at HondaPartsDeals.com: Honda Accessory, Honda Car Parts, Honda Auto Parts, Honda Accord Parts
It was black before I broke it all off haha. Trying to find an aftermarket one from advance or somewhere like that
Old 01-21-2017, 02:24 PM   #16 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

There is no aftermarket for this part.

Quote:
Old 01-21-2017, 03:23 PM   #17 (permalink)

I will call honda Monday morning. If they can't get it, I'll look for one at a junkyard. If all else fails I'll take the one out of my other trans.
Old 01-21-2017, 05:27 PM   #18 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Quote:
Originally Posted by transzex View Post

MT CLUTCH RELEASE for 1991 Honda CIVIC HATCHBACK

yep, discontinued parts galore.

SOMEONE had to have bought out the parts molds/presses/schematics/etc...

Kinda sad when things puff out of existances just because of age.

I mean for fucks sake, you can do a chevelle, or nova, or gto 90% brand new oem fitment parts these days

Build what you have!

Old 01-21-2017, 05:41 PM   #19 (permalink)

Yes that does suck pretty bad. I might just put the si trans back together without it and use my dx trans until I can find a used one. I just worry that trying to put the speedo drive in later with the trans together I won't be able to get the gear lined up. But I would think it'll be the same as a speed sensor on a newer civic. Just wiggle a little
Old 01-21-2017, 07:52 PM   #20 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

I've had a few in my time, might have a few more, why I asked about the color.

Quote:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in