Gears Wont Engage On Countershaft - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Transmission alley

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2016, 02:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

hotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussie
iTrader Score: 30 reviews
Default Gears Wont Engage On Countershaft

Assembling my CS, the slider(new hardened from Synchrotech) wont engage 1st ( new 3.08.) or second gear. The synchros, springs, and dampers are also new.

The parts are all burr free, and everything slides when disassembled. Is this because they are new and tight?

Quote:
Take it from somebody who has actually done it more then once and not read about it on the internet......
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
hotrodj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2016, 06:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

No oil, improper clearances, synchros jammed…..

.1 mm on the second gear bearing race can make a difference. Are you using the first gear shim and not need it? Correct new roller bearing?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2016, 06:19 PM   #3 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Aftermarket final drive as well?

Quote:
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.

Old 11-06-2016, 06:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

hotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussie

4.9 GearX fd. I used the correct roller bearing. I will try it lubed lol trying to not make a huge mess. Taking me a few tries. I plan on sending you my next one lol

Quote:
Take it from somebody who has actually done it more then once and not read about it on the internet......
Old 11-06-2016, 07:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

plenty of oil, you will get some drag from the dampers though.

You did index then correctly right?

Quote:
Old 11-07-2016, 05:03 AM   #6 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by transzex View Post
plenty of oil, you will get some drag from the dampers though.

You did index then correctly right?
The dampers are correct. The little tangs line up in the notches.

I havent tried too much force on them. Figured they would move with some resistance, but didnt want to try to force anything. Rather error on the side of caution, too much time and money going into this project lol

Appreciate the help, thanks!

Quote:
Old 11-07-2016, 06:07 AM   #7 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

It will shift nice into both gears, without the round synchro "springs". They seem to be blocking the teeth on the slider from going into the dogs on the gears. Ive even swapped the new ones for the old worn ones.

Is that normal? Or am I overthinking this?

Quote:
Old 11-07-2016, 11:00 AM   #8 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Likely needs more oil

The rings apply pressure to the synchros for the braking action. I also believe they help keep the gear in place...as does the back cut on the slider.

Quote:
Old 11-07-2016, 04:11 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Well, I e decided to go ahead and reassemble the stack, hopefully in the morning. Then I will lube generously! And see if she slides. Thanks again

Quote:
Old 11-07-2016, 05:57 PM   #10 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Fitting parts, if it was easy a caveman could do it

Wait until you have to sand a washer/shim, already having the thinnest one Honda offers.

Quote:
Old 11-08-2016, 05:00 PM   #11 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Quote:
Fitting parts, if it was easy a caveman could do it

Wait until you have to sand a washer/shim, already having the thinnest one Honda offers.
Thats gotta be a pain. I assemble motors pretty regular, but this is my first trans, with synchros lol Ive got a few spares, I may rebuild them as well just for some more experience.

Quote:
Old 11-21-2016, 04:47 PM   #12 (permalink)

Rep Power: 27 Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!
Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 27 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Aquafina

Dry or wet doesn't affect the slider moving through positions.

Rocket Motorsports, MFactory, Torco, Action Clutch, HASport, Synchrotech, OS Giken, Gear-X, Wavetrac, Quaife
Official MFactory North American Installer

Aquafina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2016, 05:01 PM   #13 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

I had the slider mis-aligned in the hub, 1/2.

Now the cases dont fit together lol .... gotta figure out where I messed up with that. I can r/r the shifter linkage, and CS pretty quickly now. Learn by repetition

Also had to remove a fair amount to clear the 4.9

Quote:
Old 11-22-2016, 12:55 PM   #14 (permalink)
D-series G0D

BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 78 reviews

The two halves pics look as though you've not yet fit the snap ring around the CS bearing. Was that attempted in that pic yet?
BLK92_D16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2016, 01:22 PM   #15 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

he is not even close the the snap right....

Quote:
Old 11-22-2016, 05:23 PM   #16 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Quote:
he is not even close the the snap right....
This is correct. Im going to pull the main shaft 5th hub off to ensure its installed correctly. And go back thru the MS completely.

Im 99% sure the CS is all together correctly lol

Quote:
Old 11-24-2016, 04:02 PM   #17 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Here is the direction the 5th hub was installed.

These are the two sides of that hub, seems the side with the flat surfaces would go against the gear.

Quote:
Old 11-24-2016, 07:43 PM   #18 (permalink)

Rep Power: 27 Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!
Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 27 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Aquafina

Side with no wear faces the bearing.

Rocket Motorsports, MFactory, Torco, Action Clutch, HASport, Synchrotech, OS Giken, Gear-X, Wavetrac, Quaife
Official MFactory North American Installer

Aquafina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2016, 08:30 PM   #19 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Dot down.....

Quote:
Old 11-24-2016, 08:37 PM   #20 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

35mm case with 40mm gear stacks?

Quote:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in