Plated LSD Set up, Mfactory - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Transmission alley

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2016, 05:43 AM   #1 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 10 leec4391 smells like Boratleec4391 smells like Boratleec4391 smells like Boratleec4391 smells like Boratleec4391 smells like Boratleec4391 smells like Borat
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Default Plated LSD Set up, Mfactory

Hello,

I have an M factory plated diff for my L3 box, and i never actually realised it was adjustable before buying it! Now i've never had a proper diff before so have never had any real worl experience with how different diff settings can affect handling characteristics.

The car is a weekend/fun/track car, it see's track 1-2 times a month. So sacrificing a little driveability for improved track performance is okay, however i don't the car to be totally undriveable on the road as in the UK, especially where i am its pretty rural so dips and camber in the roads are in abundance.

The diff is a 1 Way i chose this to keep off throttle balance as it is, as i like the way the car drives off throttle at the moment. I spoke to Mfactory about lock % and they said for a road going circuit car it may be best to Opt for 66% rather than the factory default of 100% lock. I have adjusted the plates to suit.

However i am still a little unsure on what ramp angle i should choose, i have a choice between 45 or 55 degrees, from my understanding the steeper angle brings the onset of lock in faster. However i am not sure how this would translate to the cars handling characteristics on track.

Also should i keep all 12 springs to keep the preload as it is from factory or will removing some benefit me in any way? From the reading i've been doing preload and ramp angles work hand in hand a little bit. I was reading an article about a tuner that removed 6 of the springs to make it more streetable as he installed the diff into a daily driver that he used on track. Understandably just removing springs without measuring the preload may be similar to pissing in the wind as you will never really know the pre load figure, but i find sometimes figures can complicate things where the way the car feels and acts is prevalent. I will have tool made up to measure it next time the box is out just as refference.

Any advice or experiences would be great.

Thanks Lee
leec4391 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2016, 10:19 AM   #2 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

66% lockup, I have it preset before shipped out after seeing one adjusted and taking over an hour to reassemble correctly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2016, 11:00 AM   #3 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 10 leec4391 smells like Boratleec4391 smells like Boratleec4391 smells like Boratleec4391 smells like Boratleec4391 smells like Boratleec4391 smells like Borat

When you say correctly? I like to think i have a keen eye for detail but naturally comments like that make me a little paranoid...

What was incorrect about the one you received?

Old 11-01-2016, 11:51 AM   #4 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

It was assembled correctly from MF @ 100% setting. Then found out he needed 66% setting and changed it himself with me watching. What should be a simple just changing the order of the plates, then getting it all lined up so the case would go back together properly took forever. After watching/helping with that I have them preset before shipping.

66% and aggressive cam setting.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
Old 11-01-2016, 12:33 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series lover

Thanks bone. Was there anything that I should pay particular attention
to when trying to line everything up?

I've loosely put it back together but haven't tried to close the casing up yet, but it all seemed to go back together relatively smooth.
Old 11-01-2016, 12:55 PM   #6 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Don't force the casing closed. There will be a gap due to the springs but will close easily. I think the outer plates were in wrong order and left a 2mm gap.

Quote:
Old 11-01-2016, 07:23 PM   #7 (permalink)

Rep Power: 27 Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!
Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 27 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Aquafina

If you don't have the plates lined up, you will break the tabs.

Rocket Motorsports, MFactory, Torco, Action Clutch, HASport, Synchrotech, OS Giken, Gear-X, Wavetrac, Quaife
Official MFactory North American Installer

Aquafina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2016, 09:04 PM   #8 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Plates were lined up, but IIRC the order preventing the halves from closing properly. I wasn't there when it was opened.

Q: can some of the springs be removed for less street preload though? Under power the ramps should be providing most of the clamping power correct?

Quote:
Old 11-01-2016, 10:02 PM   #9 (permalink)

Rep Power: 27 Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!
Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 27 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Aquafina

Yes, springs can be removed. I won't go into any more detail than that as diff setup is a service I offer.

Rocket Motorsports, MFactory, Torco, Action Clutch, HASport, Synchrotech, OS Giken, Gear-X, Wavetrac, Quaife
Official MFactory North American Installer

Aquafina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2016, 10:34 PM   #10 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

:thumbsup

Quote:
Old 11-02-2016, 03:50 PM   #11 (permalink)
D-series lover

Got it back together okay, wasn't very dramatic.

Initially I went to close it up and there was a .70mm gap due to one of the washers at the end of clutch stack not being inside the ridge in the casing. Backed off the transport Allen bolts moved it into place and went together seamlessly.

I opted for 55 degree ramp angle, all the preload springs and 66% lock. If I don't get on with it i am competent enough to drop the box out and try something different.

Cheers for the info gents.
Old 11-03-2016, 05:38 PM   #12 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 0 colelmt is worse than Satan's assholecolelmt is worse than Satan's assholecolelmt is worse than Satan's asshole
Send a message via Skype™ to colelmt

Nice, good luck with the dif it looks like you got it figured out.

D16Z6

EJ255

colelmt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in