LSD ID? - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Transmission alley

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2016, 12:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Rep Power: 0 bobski is learning the way of the Dbobski is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default LSD ID?

Hey folks. I bought a ZC+LSD transmission from HMO a few months back and am finally getting to installing it. It's going in my daily driver (along with a D15B dual-VTEC) so I decided to swap in 5th gear from my old DX trans for highway cruising.
Anyway, I took a peek at the diff while I had the gear stacks out and it doesn't look like any of the other LSDs I've seen. Anyone know what it is? Should I be running an additive? My plan was to use synchromesh since it shifted nicer (dropped into gear faster) on the DX trans.

It's pretty apparent someone's been in this transmission before, several times perhaps. I also noticed the ZC has roller bearing where the DX has a ball bearing - the inboard of the two bearings on the end of the counter shaft.
bobski is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2016, 12:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
\/Your Mom Was Here\/

Rep Power: 54 BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 11 reviews

Was this a cable trans?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Civic EX Sedan (ES2)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You will be missed but not forgotten.

Quote:
I actually jerk off to my rep points, neg rep makes me thumb my bung, what now brown cow? I finished twice.
BeerDrinkin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2016, 01:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Rep Power: 0 bobski is learning the way of the Dbobski is learning the way of the D

Yep. L3.

Old 08-12-2016, 04:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

Those bearings are different sizes, 52mm for the ball bearing, 52.2mm for the roller bearing. Why you can't just drop an SI/ZC gearstack right into a DX case, have to swap that bearing first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2016, 05:47 PM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

So that's normal, gotcha.
And the case/bearing size code is 9000 if that helps
Old 08-12-2016, 07:30 PM   #6 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Correct, large bearing or 40mm case

Quote:
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
Old 08-13-2016, 04:50 AM   #7 (permalink)
n00b

I'll throw some observations out there for the sake of feedback:
The visible pinion shaft and it's fixture looks like a 1.5 way diff, though the pressure rings appear to have empty cutouts for 1-way operation. I'm not sure what to make of the blocks and their rounded cut-outs on either side of the pressure rings - is that a carrier for clutch disks? Are the cut-outs just lightening?
This is a ZC-sized diff, I'll be running an intermediate shaft (already fabbed the bracket for the D15) and ZC axles in a USDM '91 CRX.
The previous owner was running gear oil or something of similar viscosity. There was some black sediment at the bottom of the remaining oil, and some light deposits on the magnet. These are from the clutch packs I assume?
I noticed some yellow-slightly-green grease here and there throughout the case, particularly blocking off the breather tube passage and packed into the (unused) countershaft oiler holes for the above bearing I asked about. I wiped out whatever deposits I found and blew compressed air through the shafts to try to make sure the others weren't similarly blocked.
Old 08-13-2016, 06:38 AM   #8 (permalink)

Rep Power: 9 LAMER  is accepted as part of the communityLAMER  is accepted as part of the communityLAMER  is accepted as part of the communityLAMER  is accepted as part of the community

I don't know what brand is that metal plate lsd, but I strongly suggest you think twice before start using it as a daily. I have both MF metal plate and MF torsen diffs, and although the plate is awesome for corners, it clanks so much(while not on the throttle in the corner), that I can only compare it with all 4 cv joints being very bad, at the same time. And the torsen - no noise at all, but obviously not as good as the metal plate.
Old 08-13-2016, 09:39 AM   #9 (permalink)
n00b

Are all clutch pack LSDs considered "metal plate"? Barring some major f'up, I'm driving this to work on monday, so I guess I'm going to find out what you mean. I would think it would be pretty simple to include wave springs or something to keep the clutch elements under control when they're not engaged. I'm pretty sure that's what they do with A/T and motorcycle clutches, isn't it?
Old 08-13-2016, 02:06 PM   #10 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Posi additive/Type F, been around for 50+ years.

Quote:
Old 08-14-2016, 09:11 AM   #11 (permalink)
n00b

I guess LSDs haven't changed much, huh. o_O
It's not going to mess with the synchros or anything? Compatible with synchromesh, or would I have to run gear oil?
Old 08-15-2016, 04:35 AM   #12 (permalink)
\/Your Mom Was Here\/

Rep Power: 54 BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

You can use the syncromesh and some friction modifier (ford XL3 or similar)

Quote:
I actually jerk off to my rep points, neg rep makes me thumb my bung, what now brown cow? I finished twice.
Old 08-15-2016, 07:31 AM   #13 (permalink)

Rep Power: 9 LAMER  is accepted as part of the communityLAMER  is accepted as part of the communityLAMER  is accepted as part of the communityLAMER  is accepted as part of the community

I have two questions:
1. How is the friction modifier affecting the work of the synchros?
2. How is the friction modifier affecting the work of the plate diff?
Old 08-15-2016, 08:44 AM   #14 (permalink)
\/Your Mom Was Here\/

It shouldn't affect syncro's at all but IIRC there is sulfur in the fluid (makes it smell horrible) and may require more frequent fluid changes. Also Torco offers the same stuff:

http://www.torcousa.com/technology/L...p_Additive.pdf

Quote:
Old 08-15-2016, 06:54 PM   #15 (permalink)
n00b

Well, I just took the first test drive. Apparently I have the wrong IACV on my engine (auto 3-wire instead of the manual 2-wire) so it idles at 1500 RPM. I'm pretty sure it's seized up too... I couldn't get it to move when I was cleaning the TB but was hoping it had some integral thermal wax function that was holding it open. By the feel of it, I have the TPS adjusted wrong.
And I think someone left the S out of my LSD. The steering is very heavy feeling and I'm pretty sure I felt one wheel skipping when going around the first corner. The road was wet, but is it supposed to be that aggressive? No additive yet - would it make that big a difference?
Old 08-15-2016, 08:52 PM   #16 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

LSD is working as it should. I had a racer as Mid Ohio have the same complaint in the mild wet conditions, went away as soon as pavement died up and tire could get traction.

Quote:
Old 08-16-2016, 04:12 AM   #17 (permalink)
n00b

Alright, good to know.
Ebay'd an HX manual IM - the easy route to the proper IACV.
Old 08-17-2016, 03:31 AM   #18 (permalink)
n00b

Okay, assuming this LSD turns out to be too much for my intended app (really just looking for more traction in poor conditions), what are my options? I get the impression a viscous LSD would be more ideal... Were they ever available for the L3? In ZC form factor?
Old 08-17-2016, 07:09 AM   #19 (permalink)
\/Your Mom Was Here\/

Mfactory makes a nice Helical unit (L3 fit and DOHC axle size if needed).

IIRC the only viscous LSD made was OEM ZC LSD and wasn't very strong.

Quote:
Old 08-24-2016, 02:17 AM   #20 (permalink)

I am highly interested in Bone's and Aqua's opinion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAMER View Post
I have two questions:
1. How is the friction modifier affecting the work of the synchros?
2. How is the friction modifier affecting the work of the plate diff?
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in