Modifying 3rd gear to be used as 4th - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Transmission alley

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2016, 04:57 AM   #1 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 14 bense smells like Boratbense smells like Boratbense smells like Boratbense smells like Boratbense smells like Boratbense smells like Borat
iTrader Score: 4 reviews
Default Modifying 3rd gear to be used as 4th

I'm retracing my footsteps with F/H trans, and my searches keep bringing me to threads like these:
https://www.d-series.org/forums/trans...install-6.html

Post #1 in this thread will be my response to that thread. And my next post will be regarding the same thing for F/H trans.

Bone, I now regret suggesting that one "universal" version of this gear be me. I agree with your remark about how the cable folks should have milled it if they were insistent on using it. At the time I had less experience and less formal education than I do now.

In regards to using a hydro third as 4th. (And yes, I realize that I'm reiterating what has been said in that thread)
mainshaft Grind a little bit away of the ID so that it has clearance for the synchro hub.
countershaftI seem to recall there being a 'lip' that would shift 5th gear away from 4th gear on the countershaft. I can't recall if it needs to be modified or not. Just compare it to the OEM 4th gear that you already have.

Get yourself a micrometer, sandpaper, and a smooth workbench, and start sanding away. Where there's material that doesn't need to be there, remove it. I'd suggest wrapping some electrical tape around the teeth of the gear, or moving your workbench to soft grass so that when you're doing that motion, reciprocating your hand back and forth with great fervor, that it doesn't go flying across the shop and getting chipped on the concrete floor.

For the 4/5 spacer collar, I just let the gears 'machine' it. I ran non-synthetic 10w-30 in the trans and flushed it after like 100 miles. Fluid looked good, but ultra-fine 'glitter' was visible. Don't overthink it. With the exception of the bluing of that spacer collar, everything in that transmission looked brand new every time I took it apart.

I accidentally corrupted my very large RAID storage array last night. Called out of work today, as I thought I'd be up late recovering data. I'm scared to think of it right now and I'm waiting for a few other folks to chime in on the threads I've posted on the appropriate forums. Reading about this stuff has kept me relatively sane tonight.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I'm not doing any of this for the money, the fame, the glory, or attention. I'm doing this because I enjoy it.
bense is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2016, 05:15 AM   #2 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 14 bense smells like Boratbense smells like Boratbense smells like Boratbense smells like Boratbense smells like Boratbense smells like Borat

For F/H trans:

D-series is lucky in that the splines on the countershaft for 3rd-4th are the same. It's like the pre-1992 cable transmissions.

For 92+ B trans and F/H trans; the splines on the countershaft for 4th gear are a different size than they are for the countershaft 3rd gear. The mainshaft gears require very little, to no modification.

The solution would be to find some sort spline bushing that has the proper geometry. Here's a site that showed up with a quick google search. This shows the general idea of what I'm considering: https://www.hydra.dk/store/hydra/en/product/185828

In general, here's a picture of one.

And here's an MFactory B/H final that showed up in a quick google image search. You can see the size difference

Yes, I know that I could just use an aftermarket 4th gear instead. I could also just abandon Hondas and move onto muscle cars, corvettes. I could also just never leave the house, or wait until a newer, more viable platform to come along. But ultimately, this is fun, ridiculous, keeping me out of trouble, and keeping me from stressing about all the data that I just lost lol.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I'm not doing any of this for the money, the fame, the glory, or attention. I'm doing this because I enjoy it.
Old 07-23-2016, 10:41 AM   #3 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 16 rabid is fly like an eaglerabid is fly like an eaglerabid is fly like an eaglerabid is fly like an eaglerabid is fly like an eaglerabid is fly like an eaglerabid is fly like an eaglerabid is fly like an eaglerabid is fly like an eaglerabid is fly like an eaglerabid is fly like an eaglerabid is fly like an eagle
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

When I put a cx 3rd gear in my 4th gear spot I removed a little material from the spacer part of the gear. I just took a caliper and measured how tall the original 4th gear was and made the new gear the same. It would be best to use a lathe but I just ran it against a spinning chop saw disk. I took off .045".
rabid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2016, 09:52 AM   #4 (permalink)
Classic Man

Rep Power: 59 FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

I totally came in here excited to lock an old thread that got bumped.

Now I am just confused.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Ford
Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.
FarmerD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2016, 11:54 AM   #5 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 16 TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!
TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid View Post
It would be best to use a lathe but I just ran it against a spinning chop saw disk. I took off .045".

I did the exact same thing...
TheToaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2016, 10:42 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerD View Post
I totally came in here excited to lock an old thread that got bumped.

Now I am just confused.
Sorry to disappoint.

A lot of this is mostly my musings.

D-series 1-2 synchro hub fits the fourth gear spline of hydro B-series and F23 countershaft

Old 07-30-2016, 10:46 PM   #7 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by bense View Post
Sorry to disappoint.

A lot of this is mostly my musings.

D-series 1-2 synchro hub fits the fourth gear spline of hydro B-series and F23 countershaft
but it would be too wide....

Common spline machining setups/tooling, happens more than you think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2016, 05:07 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by transzex View Post
but it would be too wide....

Common spline machining setups/tooling, happens more than you think.
Sure. I just wrote that for future reference in case I try to figure out how to find a spline reducer.

OR-- But knowing that, then all I need to do is retrieve the info from the parts catalog:

1999 civic DX second gear collar -
23912-P20-010 / COLLAR, DISTANCE (33X39X32)

This means that the splines on the 94+B-series and F/H-series for 4th gear are 33mm OD.

Last edited by bense; 08-02-2016 at 05:12 PM.
Old 08-02-2016, 05:15 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-series soldier

1990-1991 cable LS 4th gear of 0.966 -- Wonder if this can be modified to work as a d-series 5th.

-------------
d16a1 trans has parts that interchange with 1989 accord trans.

------
1990 cable LS trans 3/4/5 needle bearings are the same ID/OD as our d-series 5th.

Old 08-02-2016, 11:17 PM   #10 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Quote:
1990-1991 cable LS 4th gear of 0.966 -- Wonder if this can be modified to work as a d-series 5th.

-------------
d16a1 trans has parts that interchange with 1989 accord trans.

------
1990 cable LS trans 3/4/5 needle bearings are the same ID/OD as our d-series 5th.
Crack open several manuals to compare gear thickness and such as listed in the specs.

Why a .966 5th when 1.000 is already available, like you had and needed to clearance the case for...why I ask for pics

Here is the deal, people want "custom gears" but are not willing to pay the price that they cost and look for shortcuts that really prove no/minimal gains.

Also depending on the car/weight/chassis/HP the ratios can be too close and the time lost making those extra 6 shifts each lap is made up with the slightly longer gearing.

92-93 LS vs GSR, both with 4.9 Finals, same car, same motor, same track.

Now this could change by going to a different track, say the difference between Mid Ohio (2016 Runoffs) and Daytona (2015 Runoffs)....but with 2017 Runoffs at Indy, everyone is clueless on the gearing that will be needed.

While there may be a perfect trans for a given car at each track, you might need 3-4 trans. with different gearing through out the season if budget allows. Mine you these people are racing for trophies, not money.

Also of note, PWC cars with K drive lines have to rebuild the trans after every race weekend, mainly replacing third gear. Go figure.

Quote:
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
Old 08-07-2016, 10:42 PM   #11 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Quote:
Why a .966 5th when 1.000 is already available, like you had and needed to clearance the case for...why I ask for pics
If there were a 0.966 fifth that could be used

1st - 3.25
2nd - 1.909
3rd - 1.417 ('hypothetical' Cusco fourth gear that might exist)
4th - 1.172 (DX third)
5th - 0.966 ('hypothetical' existence)

The earlier cable b16 trans in the JDM zxi recycled the fourth gear from some other model. I forget which. A20 Accord, 80s JDM Prelude, I forget.

Old 08-07-2016, 11:05 PM   #12 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Bone, I've got a client that has a semi local track that will not let him use aftermarket gears. Practicality is lost when under the constraints of laws defined in some arbitrary rule book.

Here's how I would have made the D-series close ratio kit:
1st - 3.083
2nd - 1.900
3rd - 1.481
4th - 1.172
5th - 0.966
Final = 4.058

But the 1.565 / 1.000 gear kit is awesome enough. D-series has so many awesome finals. You can go from 2.95 to 4.928. At least there's a feasible option to have a close ratio trans with a lower final drive for D-series.

I still think the best setup
1st - 3.083
2nd - 1.944
3rd - 1.565
4th - 1.25
5th - 1.000
Final 3.722, 3.888 or 4.058

Old 08-07-2016, 11:21 PM   #13 (permalink)
D-series soldier

What is the trick to using 1988 mainshaft with the larger pressure plate? Something about using a prelude clutch?

Lots of familiar looking ratios
Our Transmission Specs? [Archive] - Honda Prelude Forum : Honda Prelude Forums

Old 08-07-2016, 11:35 PM   #14 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Quote:
Bone, I've got a client that has a semi local track that will not let him use aftermarket gears. Practicality is lost when under the constraints of laws defined in some arbitrary rule book.

Here's how I would have made the D-series close ratio kit:
1st - 3.083
2nd - 1.900
3rd - 1.481
4th - 1.172
5th - 0.966
Final = 4.058

But the 1.565 / 1.000 gear kit is awesome enough. D-series has so many awesome finals. You can go from 2.95 to 4.928. At least there's a feasible option to have a close ratio trans with a lower final drive for D-series.

1st - 3.083
2nd - 1.944
3rd - 1.565
4th - 1.25
5th - 1.000

Quote:
Old 08-07-2016, 11:40 PM   #15 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

choice of 5th and FD for cruising or racing

Quote:
Old 08-08-2016, 01:10 PM   #16 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 16 TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!
TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

Quote:

1st - 3.083
2nd - 1.944
3rd - 1.565
4th - 1.25
5th - 1.000
I used this setup with ~300 HP 16PSI and it was very very fun. Although I agree that your idea (Ratios) was better.

Maybe its just my limited experience, but I feel like reproducing the 1.9?? 2nds is becoming more in demand. They are mostly all very worn down. And I'm curious if a half-gear like the 3,083 1st can be done,

Quote:
What is the trick to using 1988 mainshaft with the larger pressure plate? Something about using a prelude clutch?

Probably simialr to using a 350Z clutch/RB25 Flywheel on a KA24.

350Z matches the spline and PP bolt pattern(9).
RB FW matches the KA crank bolt pattern (6), as is the right Diameter and PP bolt pattern(9).

As far as the Accord/Prelude/Integra/ZC mess, check out 3geez for info on the A20 trans and what they do there with the CG trans and stuff. I helped walking a buddy though building a hybrid gear box for the A20. Might be something there for you. I am interested in the 1.4 and .9 options.

Lots of familiar looking ratios
Our Transmission Specs? [Archive] - Honda Prelude Forum : Honda Prelude Forums
Probably simialr to using a 350Z clutch/RB25 Flywheel on a KA24.

350Z matches the spline and PP bolt pattern(9).
RB FW matches the KA crank bolt pattern (6), as is the right Diameter and PP bolt pattern(9).

As far as the Accord/Prelude/Integra/ZC mess, check out 3geez for info on the A20 trans and what they do there with the CG trans and stuff. I helped walking a buddy though building a hybrid gear box for the A20. Might be something there for you. I am interested in the 1.4 and .9 options.

Quote:

choice of 5th and FD for cruising or racing
Where would one get those..?
TheToaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2016, 04:47 AM   #17 (permalink)
The Great Weldini

Rep Power: 32 remoer Still a JDM Star....remoer Still a JDM Star....
remoer Still a JDM Star....remoer Still a JDM Star....remoer Still a JDM Star....remoer Still a JDM Star....remoer Still a JDM Star....remoer Still a JDM Star....remoer Still a JDM Star....remoer Still a JDM Star....remoer Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 54 reviews
Send a message via AIM to remoer Send a message via MSN to remoer Send a message via Yahoo to remoer

ah now the plot thickens bense.

The suspension should always be faster than the engine - BMW

The term stage was created to make mentally slow ppl feel physically fast.

my DOHC ZC - 133.73whp and 108.48wtq (tuned on a Dynojet)
remoer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2016, 12:09 PM   #18 (permalink)

Rep Power: 27 Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!
Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 27 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Aquafina

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheToaster View Post

Maybe its just my limited experience, but I feel like reproducing the 1.9?? 2nds is becoming more in demand. They are mostly all very worn down. And I'm curious if a half-gear like the 3,083 1st can be done,

It was tried before, and just like the ZC gears, failed to gain anywhere close to enough serious interest.

Z6 and Y8 CS 2nd gears are both continued now. Z6 several years ago and Y8 a couple of months ago, I bought up the remaining stock of them.

Rocket Motorsports, MFactory, Torco, Action Clutch, HASport, Synchrotech, OS Giken, Gear-X, Wavetrac, Quaife
Official MFactory North American Installer

Aquafina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in