Freshly rebuilt transmission troubles - won't stay in reverse - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Transmission alley

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2016, 06:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 15 curlybandit is a name known to allcurlybandit is a name known to allcurlybandit is a name known to allcurlybandit is a name known to allcurlybandit is a name known to allcurlybandit is a name known to allcurlybandit is a name known to allcurlybandit is a name known to allcurlybandit is a name known to allcurlybandit is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Freshly rebuilt transmission troubles - won't stay in reverse

Hey everyone.

I recently had my S40B000 d16 transmission rebuilt. It already had a Quaife LSD. I've installed an MFactory 3rd and ZC 5th and used the Synchrotech Carbon Synchro rebuilt kit.

The mechanic that's reinstalling the transmission said that it will not stay in reverse. He said:

"The reverse gate seems blocked. You can get reverse idler to engage slightly by keeping pressure on the shifter in the reverse position, but the shifter will return to neutral the moment you take your hand away."
"But even then, reverse idler barely engages the gears on the main/counter shaft."

He suggested that perhaps the idler was installed incorrectly.

I contacted the gentleman that rebuilt the transmission for me. He said:

"Remind him no lube has been run in unit. And have to use what your new synchro call for." - not sure what this is exactly. I need to look that up.

He also said:

"New synchro have material on them and with no lube will be stiff. The lube I put on prob ran off by now"

Regarding the idler, the transmission tech said they can go in "either way". My mechanic isn't so sure.

Any idea what might be going on?

Thanks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1993 Honda Civic del Sol Si.
The old: NA d16z6 - 158whp - RIP May 22, 2017 (dropped exhaust valve)
The new: OBD1 JDM GSR 1.8L DOHC VTEC - 198whp, 138wtrq, Integra Type-R S80 LSD transmission.
curlybandit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2016, 07:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 25 cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!
cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to cervan Send a message via MSN to cervan

wow i dont even know where to start, sounds like the gear for reverse was installed upside down somehow? or more likely the pin wasnt engaged when the reverse shift fork was installed.
cervan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2016, 07:19 PM   #3 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

Guess the rebuilder is coming there to R&R the trans and crack it open? If he didn't know it only goes in one way....then he didn't bench test it either.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2016, 04:33 AM   #4 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 15 curlybandit is a name known to allcurlybandit is a name known to allcurlybandit is a name known to allcurlybandit is a name known to allcurlybandit is a name known to allcurlybandit is a name known to allcurlybandit is a name known to allcurlybandit is a name known to allcurlybandit is a name known to allcurlybandit is a name known to all

My mechanic is going to investigate the issue further. If necessary, he can remove and examine the transmission. The alternative option being that it's done by the gentleman that did the build.

The new: OBD1 JDM GSR 1.8L DOHC VTEC - 198whp, 138wtrq, Integra Type-R S80 LSD transmission.
Old 06-23-2016, 04:57 AM   #5 (permalink)
D-series soldier

I'm trying to squeeze in a little research to understand more clearly what the idler gear does. From what I understand, it's an intermediate gear that transfers the rotation of the main shaft (I believe) to the reverse gear. It essentially reverses the direction of the rotation.

Sounds about right?

To my inexperienced mind I would imaging that there's a specific orientation of the gear teeth which is necessary for it to serve its purpose. Otherwise I would imagine the teeth of the gear and the other components it interacts with would cross rather than interlock. Sounds like a good way to damage the gear teeth.

Hmmm... Took a look at some pics of Honda reverse idler gears. They look like straight-cut teeth.

Someone want to educate me on this?

Would the idler gear affect any the function of the forward 5 gears?

Last edited by curlybandit; 06-23-2016 at 05:18 AM.
Old 06-23-2016, 09:07 AM   #6 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

sounds like rebuilder is unsure, or is so busy he already forgot your specific service.

I say let the mechanic pop the tranny out, send it to the rebuilder, and hopefully you will not be out of pocket more for another removal/reinstall

ask the rebuilder to verify function before giving back.

when you pay good money for someone to professionally rebuild something, the least they can freakin do is check their work before sending it to the shop to be installed

2003 Hyundai Sonata GLS 2.7 Delta 197k

1998 Cadillac Seville SLS just broke 100k
2001 civic LX coupe MTX 199k
Sometimes, the difficult path is the easiest path
D/B/F/H/K compression questions?

Build what you have!

mattliston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2016, 01:57 PM   #7 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

The idler teeth are only beveled on one side. I have never installed one backwards, simply because the first trans I watched get split apart and I split my first that night as well.

HYBRID: Installing an Si FD into a ZC Transmission

I have put the 1-R-2 slider on upside down when doing B series, but always catch that when try to drop the gear stacks in.

Quote:
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
Old 06-23-2016, 09:42 PM   #8 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by curlybandit View Post
Hmmm... Took a look at some pics of Honda reverse idler gears. They look like straight-cut teeth.

Someone want to educate me on this?

Would the idler gear affect any the function of the forward 5 gears?
reverse is straight cut no synchro thats why it clunks in gear and whines when you are going fast in reverse
Old 06-24-2016, 06:37 AM   #9 (permalink)

Rep Power: 27 Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!
Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 27 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Aquafina

Idler only goes in one way. Unless he used water it didn't run off the synchros.

He should have told you what fluid to run.
Aquafina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2016, 06:50 AM   #10 (permalink)
CurlyV2

Hey everyone.

It's me, Curlybandit, the OP.

I've recetly learned that there has been a password reset going on for the DSO members and unfortunately I'm no longer able to access my Curlybandit account. I've set up this temporary account so that I can finally respond. I've already attempted to contact the admin. Hopefully they sort this out soon.

Some updates: I've since been in communication with the rebuilder. He has given me his assurance that the idler gear has been installed correctly. He also acknowledged that reverse doesn't have a synchro. He suggested that the cause of the problem could possible be a synchro from another gear making it difficult to shift. He also confirmed that he bench tested the transmission after it was reassembled. I'll be following up with the mechanic reassembling the car later today.

Regarding the fluid, I received a response from Synchrotech. They've confirmed that Honda MTF is fine but of course recommended their MTF fluid.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2016, 07:01 AM   #11 (permalink)
CurlyV2

^^
Just read about the massive hack.
Old 06-24-2016, 09:17 AM   #12 (permalink)

Rep Power: 27 Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!
Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!

A synchro on another gear won't affect it shifting into and staying in reverse.

Don't run Honda MTF.
Old 06-24-2016, 11:56 AM   #13 (permalink)
CurlyV2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquafina View Post

Don't run Honda MTF.
Just got this very detailed response from David of Synchrotech on another forum:

"A synchro would not affect it staying in reverse. Reverse in engaged on this trans when the shift fork linkage moves the reverse fork to engage the idler gear (no synchro is involved here on the S40 trans). If it does not test shift properly on the bench in all gears including reverse, it needs to come apart to see what is wrong."

Reaffirming what you've just posted. The hunt continues.

Which fluid do you recommend instead? I've used Amsoil synthetic MTF before in this transmission when it was first seapped from AT to MT. Worked very well.
Old 06-24-2016, 12:00 PM   #14 (permalink)
Meat Popsicle

Rep Power: 28 Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 14 reviews

dino 10w30 or Torco RTF/MTF if you're feeling spendy.

Aquafina built my transmission, recommended 10w30, and it's smooth as butta

R.I.P. Pat Primmer

Last edited by Paterico; 06-24-2016 at 12:03 PM.
Paterico is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2016, 12:08 PM   #15 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

A damaged "Shift Arm A" from improper interlock guide bolt install could prevent full reverse engagement.

Quote:
Old 06-24-2016, 12:17 PM   #16 (permalink)
Tape-R taper/driver

Rep Power: 17 LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!
LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquafina View Post

Don't run Honda MTF.
Never had an issue with Honda's MTF, even in endurance racing. The trans gets the oil changed once a season.
'91 Civic Tape-R
'91 Civic Wagon RT4WD
'03 Astro AWD
LowFlyin' is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2016, 03:24 PM   #17 (permalink)

Needs to be changed way more often than that. If you had it analyized afterwards and inspected the trans you would likely have a different opinion.

I recommend Torco. MTF for street cars, RTF for track cars, boosted cars and high RPM NA setups.
Old 06-24-2016, 06:42 PM   #18 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Was speaking with my mechanic this evening. He said the transmission shifts into 1-5 as it should. Reverse feels as though there is something physically or mechanically preventing it from going into the gate. He said he will test the linkages once more this weekend but failing that he will have to remove the transmission so I can take it back to the rebuilder to get it sorted out.

Not too impressed... But needs to be done.

Old 06-24-2016, 10:51 PM   #19 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Put the car in the air with someone in the drivers seat. Disconnect the linkage from shift shaft and do all shifting by hand AT the trans, thus eliminating the linkage/mount issues.

Quote:
Old 06-24-2016, 10:56 PM   #20 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowFlyin' View Post
Never had an issue with Honda's MTF, even in endurance racing. The trans gets the oil changed once a season.
Which version of Honda MTF? I have a customer that bought a case or two of the early/good/stinky stuff, shifts great and last most of a season depending on number of events entered.

Also had a local rebuild that complained a trans I rebuilt wouldn't shift right after 15 minutes of driving, but was fine cold. Turns out he was running the latest MTF from Honda. Switched to the 10w30 from Wally World and I only heard back "It's good now, thanks!"

Quote:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in