Short Shifter Issue - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Transmission alley

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2016, 01:53 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Short Shifter Issue

Hi

I've just got round to putting my engine back in and I've hooked up my ebay short shifter and when I go to go into 1st the shift linkage is hitting the support bar (the other bar on the linkage that does not move and is bolted to the transmission).

The car is still on axle stands could this be the problem? Anyone else had this issue and is there a problem with me bending the other bar out of the way a bit? Maybe twisting the mounting point on the transmission?

I do not remember it hitting before but I did only do about 2 miles with the short shifter before removing the engine.

Thanks for any help in advance
Turambar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2016, 09:14 AM   #2 (permalink)
Retired From Hondas

Rep Power: 37 Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

You dont need a short shifter, i causes more problems than theyre worth.

Your first issue is clearance.. Usually they hit the exhaust on top of your issue..

But dont take my word for it.
People try so hard to be unique, they lose their sense of style

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Esotericimage is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2016, 09:17 AM   #3 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

Rep Power: 50 slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to slo_eg8

not to mention, the ball bearing bushing tends to fucking bind and its a pain in the ass
koni yellow/gc coils
uber rare eg6 optional snowflakes

new 95 ej1.
slo_eg8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2016, 09:19 AM   #4 (permalink)
Retired From Hondas

Rep Power: 37 Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

And the kids like to jam it into gear which grind syncs, bend forks, and cause mis-shifts..

worst mod ever!

Old 05-23-2016, 02:16 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 25 xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

Shouldnt bind on the stablizer.
You might have bent something.
Ive use short shifters do have problems with hitting the exhaust,but if you drop your exhaust a little it clears.

So check over everything

. RIP

xile6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2016, 01:14 AM   #6 (permalink)
n00b

Thanks everyone, it does sound like more hassle than its worth, I think I will just replace the bushes in my OEM shifter and put that back on if I can get hold of them.

I have loads of clearance from the exhaust though.
Old 05-24-2016, 08:20 AM   #7 (permalink)
B-series Destroyer

Rep Power: 22 rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!
rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

I hope all the reply's with ebay shifters are from experience and not what my best friends brothers mom told me. I have never had a clearance or binding issue.

However, there is absolutely nothing worse then being on the track making one of your best laps and having that mother fucker snap off in your hand due to shitty material. Then have a sharp ass metal bar to make it to the pits with. The video footage is great.

If your going to be banging gears with it don't use it. If your going to drive like a normal Joe Blow it probably wont ever be a problem.
You link all the grounds, then wire each solenoid into the spark plug wires, that way they hit sequentially as the engine fires. This creates what I like to call asphalt shattering VTEC.
rico58204 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2016, 09:10 AM   #8 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

Rep Power: 50 slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Quote:
Originally Posted by rico58204 View Post
I hope all the reply's with ebay shifters are from experience and not what my best friends brothers mom told me. I have never had a clearance or binding issue.

However, there is absolutely nothing worse then being on the track making one of your best laps and having that mother fucker snap off in your hand due to shitty material. Then have a sharp ass metal bar to make it to the pits with. The video footage is great.

If your going to be banging gears with it don't use it. If your going to drive like a normal Joe Blow it probably wont ever be a problem.
Ive had both issues. the first was it binding and being a bit of a bitch going into gear. the other was the threads breaking off in the knob.

went and got an integra dual bend and cut it down, then threw the oem civic bushing in. best mod ever
koni yellow/gc coils

new 95 ej1.
Old 05-24-2016, 09:19 AM   #9 (permalink)
B-series Destroyer

Rep Power: 22 rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!
rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo_eg8 View Post
Ive had both issues. the first was it binding and being a bit of a bitch going into gear. the other was the threads breaking off in the knob.

went and got an integra dual bend and cut it down, then threw the oem civic bushing in. best mod ever
That's where mine broke also. Had half a thread sticking up. I bought the dual bend as well.
You link all the grounds, then wire each solenoid into the spark plug wires, that way they hit sequentially as the engine fires. This creates what I like to call asphalt shattering VTEC.
rico58204 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2016, 10:02 AM   #10 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turambar View Post
Thanks everyone, it does sound like more hassle than its worth, I think I will just replace the bushes in my OEM shifter and put that back on if I can get hold of them.

I have loads of clearance from the exhaust though.
NAPA sells a kit to rebuild OEM shifter, was $16....now I just need to find my original OEM shifter and gets this B&M back out.

The reason for the B&M was shift rattle due to HASport mounts and a worn "cage" for the shifter ball.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2016, 10:10 AM   #11 (permalink)
Retired From Hondas

I love how all the actual racing cars are using long shifters.. even extended shifters.. Even in Japan

IDK where this short shifter was ever being used used except on the rice circuit.

http://www.circuithero.com/collectio...ant=1127298827

Old 05-24-2016, 11:56 AM   #12 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 16 TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!
TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!

Never had a problem with short shifters, the bearings in the bottom are great. eBay ones are less than $10

Solid aluminum BWR rear mount, ES front mount, new U joint + billet tq mounts is great.

Extenders make any slop worse

Its not more hassle than its worth, unless youre inept
TheToaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2016, 08:33 PM   #13 (permalink)

That was the first thing I replaced in my DX when I bought it; the crappy stock shifter. Tossed in the finest $7.49 short throw shifter from E-bay I could find. My cheap ass didn't wanna pay for expedited shipping either, eff that! Actually it was so much better than the stock shift throw. I never actually measured but I'd say it cut it down about 25-30%.
No binding, no hitting exhaust, no troubles.
txdragon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2016, 01:30 AM   #14 (permalink)
n00b

So at the weekend as I was under the car anyway I put the stock shifter on to see if that would stop it hitting the support bar but no luck, so I've clearly bent something.

It hits in the middle of the two bars between the gearstick and the gearbox when trying to push it over for 1st or 2nd.

I reckon I need to bend the support bar out the way by only 1cm maybe 2. Just a shame its hard to get to with my car back on the ground.

I'm not really sure what the bar that goes from gearbox to the shifter mount is for, I've seen it called a support bar I think somewhere but I'm not sure what it is actually supporting.
Old 05-31-2016, 05:15 AM   #15 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

stabilizer bar.
koni yellow/gc coils

new 95 ej1.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in