Transmission replace 91 civic - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Transmission alley

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2016, 04:54 AM   #1 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 7 mitchwbr is obviously a regularmitchwbr is obviously a regularmitchwbr is obviously a regularmitchwbr is obviously a regularmitchwbr is obviously a regularmitchwbr is obviously a regularmitchwbr is obviously a regularmitchwbr is obviously a regular
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Transmission replace 91 civic

Replaced my DX trans for an si trans both cable because the synchros were total shit on the DX. Any help on getting the damn trans lined up to the block?

I had read before to absolutely stay away from using the bellhousing bolts to pull the trans in and after many failed attempts and couldn't get a good angle on my ratchet strap looped around the engine to try and pull it together failed I used the bolts to pull it together. I broke off a piece of trans case from the lowest Bell housing bolt under Neath the starter. I'm thinking now I'll try and just use 3/4 bolts..... I don't have much options...... But I really need to find the right way to do this or if I need something for the si trans? Thanks guys
mitchwbr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2016, 06:34 AM   #2 (permalink)
Meat Popsicle

Rep Power: 28 Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 14 reviews

Transmission jack from HF.

Transmission Jack - 450 Lb. Capacity

I was able to use the 25% coupon on mine.

Lift the trans up to the engine height, stand over the top of it, man handle it with both hands and wiggle it from side to side until you get it stabbed in. You should be able to get the dowels far enough in that you can temporarily let it rest without the bolts.

If you don't have a jack or don't want to buy one, have a friend come help you lift and hold the trans from the bottom while you wiggle it around from up top.

Never use the bolts to force it. If you have to do that, something isn't aligned correctly

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

R.I.P. Pat Primmer
Paterico is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2016, 07:33 AM   #3 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 44 Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

I usually have to twist mine back and forth a few degrees to get the teeth of the trans to line up with the motor, use some grease on that bad boy too. If you dont have the weight in the ass like I did, a car jack under the the trans with a wood block, slide under car and jack slowly so it does the lifting while you do the twisting, had to do it alone a couple times now.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
They stop laughing at your piece of shit when they can only see it through your dust.
R.I.P. - NN4S
R.I.P. - Cali Noob

You guys are gone but never forgotten, we live each day to the fullest for you, who cannot see the new day we often forget is amazing.

xbox gamer tag: angeloah
Whoshot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2016, 09:13 AM   #4 (permalink)
D-series soldier

theotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 5 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoshot View Post
I usually have to twist mine back and forth a few degrees to get the teeth of the trans to line up with the motor, use some grease on that bad boy too. If you dont have the weight in the ass like I did, a car jack under the the trans with a wood block, slide under car and jack slowly so it does the lifting while you do the twisting, had to do it alone a couple times now.
This. Whenever I've had to do it by myself, I always get the front end way up in the air. Get underneath the engine, slide the trans on my chest and bench press the bastard into place. It is okay to put a couple bolts into place once you get it lined up, but if you have to use the bolts to pull it up tight, then more than likely the pilot pins or bores are rusty and need cleaning.
theotherchris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2016, 01:23 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

have a friend turn the engine over by hand back and forth while massaging the transmission in place.

you can use 2 of the longer bolts to start the block, but these will ONLY be there to keep the tranny lined up somewhat.

verify the guide pins did not get misplaced and stuck on one component or the other. Ive had that happen before, and we ended up having to drill out the guide sleeve and install a new one (crushed)

2003 Hyundai Sonata GLS 2.7 Delta 197k

1998 Cadillac Seville SLS just broke 100k
2001 civic LX coupe MTX 199k
Sometimes, the difficult path is the easiest path
D/B/F/H/K compression questions?

Build what you have!

mattliston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2016, 02:56 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 7 mitchwbr is obviously a regularmitchwbr is obviously a regularmitchwbr is obviously a regularmitchwbr is obviously a regularmitchwbr is obviously a regularmitchwbr is obviously a regularmitchwbr is obviously a regularmitchwbr is obviously a regular

I bought a trans Jack for this. What are the pilot pins? Maybe I need to take a second look at the input shaft maybe it could be too rusty to want to slide in? I was moving the crank back and forth trying to slide it on as well idk maybe I just need a second person. I'll check dowel pins as well. I know something is off.
Old 04-16-2016, 03:02 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Can you put grease on the input shaft to help slide it on? Or verify how far it's going on if at all
Old 04-16-2016, 03:05 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-series soldier

theotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcano

You can put grease on it, but be very frugal with it. You risk any excess being slung around and catching on the clutch disc.

The pilot pins are, well, just pins in the block to help align everything. Sometimes they come out and stay in the trans
theotherchris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2016, 04:21 PM   #9 (permalink)
Meat Popsicle

Rep Power: 28 Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 14 reviews

If you're having that much trouble, you may want to consider removing the clutch disc and test fitting it on the input shaft splines to make sure it fits

R.I.P. Pat Primmer
Paterico is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2016, 04:58 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

for grease, I usually smear a bit onto one finger and spread it all the way around. you want as minimal as possible like above stated.

be sure to use some brake cleaner on the friction surfaces and clutch disk. wipe carefully so you leave zero lint or debris from the cloth you use. avoid using paper tower unless its the strong stuff that doesnt tear up easily

2003 Hyundai Sonata GLS 2.7 Delta 197k

1998 Cadillac Seville SLS just broke 100k
2001 civic LX coupe MTX 199k
Sometimes, the difficult path is the easiest path
D/B/F/H/K compression questions?

Build what you have!

mattliston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2016, 04:39 PM   #11 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

What year is the tranny that you are putting in? 88 has a different spline count and won't fit the 91 clutch disc.
Old 04-18-2016, 06:08 AM   #12 (permalink)
D-series soldier

I'm almost sure the trans I have is from a 91..... It was a swap I bought with a blown block swore it was from a 91 thanks for that though I guess I need to find out if the 88 si's are mpfi? Cuz it was an mpfi swap I have
Old 04-18-2016, 07:00 AM   #13 (permalink)
\/Your Mom Was Here\/

Rep Power: 54 BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 11 reviews

88 Si/HF (CRX) came with MPFI but the year of the chassis matters, even the DX and STD models in 88 came with the different spline count on the input shaft.

The easiest way to tell the year of the tranny is looking at the input shaft itself, 88 had the different spline count and no grove cut onto the end of the input shaft. In 89 they added a grove cut to the end of the input shaft and in 90-91 they had 2 grove cuts.

Pic of grooves:

2005 Civic EX Sedan (ES2)

You will be missed but not forgotten.

Quote:
I actually jerk off to my rep points, neg rep makes me thumb my bung, what now brown cow? I finished twice.
BeerDrinkin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2016, 05:07 PM   #14 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Ok verified my input shaft has the two rings. So does my other trans that I took out. Ok what I want to know is are you guys always able to hang the trans on the dowels before you put any bolts in? I've verified there are no dowel pins stuck in either side and there is only two. What I want to know is I literally have it a 1/4'' away from the block can I start all four bellhousing bolts and maybe turn the input shaft with the axle (it should turn it right as long as it's in gear)? And slowly and evenly bring all bellhousing bolts together to actually bring the dowels into the block? I was under the dowels would hold the trans onto the block but I see no way of that happening without a bolt helping holding it onto the block.
Old 04-18-2016, 05:54 PM   #15 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

should slide all the way home without the bolts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in