Cheap lighter flywheel options - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org » Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction » Transmission alley

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2016, 09:32 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Cheap lighter flywheel options

Hey guys, the rings on my d15b7 are going out so I just picked up a d16z6 to put in to go with my z6 transmission I put in last year. I figure while it's out would be a good time to upgrade the flywheel to something a little lighter. After a lot of searching it seems I'm looking for the vx/cx 15lb or an aftermarket 12lb. I'm trying to do this on a budget so the cheaper the better as long as it will hold up. I've been looking all over for the vx/cx one and can't find any.

Anybody know a source to buy vx flywheel or can anyone recommend a cheaper 12lb one?
95grndxhatch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2016, 10:24 AM   #2 (permalink)
n00b

Why lug around all that mass? Unnecessary. The Fidanza aluminum flywheels will serve you well if you're not winding the crap out of it every time you start off. Just remember you may need to put loctite on the positioning pins, and do not use it on the main bolts.
Old 04-15-2016, 10:31 AM   #3 (permalink)
\/Your Mom Was Here\/

Rep Power: 54 BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 11 reviews

Competition Clutch offeres the 12lb one that is really nice but it runs around $175~. You can get a similar one but I can only find them in 8.5lb for the under $100.

Here is the CC one for $165 free shipping:

Competition Clutch Lightweight Flywheel for 90 05 Honda Civic D15 D16 D17 | eBay

If you want to save $65 then here is the 8.5lb one:

GF Chromoly Lightweight Race Clutch Flywheel Honda Civic CRX Del Sol D15 D16 D17 | eBay

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Civic EX Sedan (ES2)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You will be missed but not forgotten.

Quote:
I actually jerk off to my rep points, neg rep makes me thumb my bung, what now brown cow? I finished twice.
BeerDrinkin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2016, 12:31 PM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

It's just a DD, no drag or auto x. I have CAI, header, full exhaust, and a short shifter, just trying to make it a little more sporty and have the revs drop a little faster between shifts. Seems like the 7-9lb range might be too light for my application from what I've read on here.
Old 04-15-2016, 01:17 PM   #5 (permalink)
\/Your Mom Was Here\/

Rep Power: 54 BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

I don't like the lighter flywheels in stop/go traffic. I am getting older though.

Quote:
I actually jerk off to my rep points, neg rep makes me thumb my bung, what now brown cow? I finished twice.
Old 04-15-2016, 04:27 PM   #6 (permalink)
n00b

Anyone know of any 12lb flywheels cheaper than $165? I might bite the bullet on that CC one if nothing's cheaper.
Old 04-15-2016, 07:53 PM   #7 (permalink)
n00b

Maybe it's just personal preference. I haven't looked back since installing my first aluminum flywheel 12 years ago and it's mountainous terrain here. It's like riding a bike once you get use to it. Waiting a couple of days on the thing to wind up or down to shift drives me mad. The exception would be the powerstroke engine since it redlines at 3000.

Keep in mind it's not just the weight of the flywheel, but the kinetic energy it has - how much mass is on the outer edge.

Considered this?
GF Chromoly Lightweight Race Clutch Flywheel Honda Civic CRX Del Sol D15 D16 D17 | eBay
Old 04-18-2016, 10:09 AM   #8 (permalink)
n00b

Went with the 12lb competition clutch flywheel, thanks for the link BeerDrinkin.
Old 04-18-2016, 11:52 AM   #9 (permalink)
\/Your Mom Was Here\/

Quote:
Old 04-18-2016, 12:35 PM   #10 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

I will likely go with it as well once I get the CRX apart....this winter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2016, 01:12 PM   #11 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 23 jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 8 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to jvtec8k Send a message via AIM to jvtec8k Send a message via Yahoo to jvtec8k Send a message via Skype™ to jvtec8k

I've had best result with stock flywheel on both DD and drags. I've used a lighter 8lbs flywheel and found it annoying to drive more clutch and gas work. I say stay stock

11.7 119mph 2013 Ebay turbo 18psi
11.0 125mph 2014 23" M&h slipping clutch
10.8 132mph 2015 clutch slipped 418whp E85
10.4 150mph 2017 62mm D16 D2b

Insta: jvtec8k

jvtec8k is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2016, 11:31 AM   #12 (permalink)
D-series G0D

BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 78 reviews

^I agree and have done the same; but everyone is different.
BLK92_D16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2016, 09:40 AM   #13 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

JoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 5 reviews

For a relatively light daily with a decent final you cant go to light imo. 7lb aluminum with my 6 puc kevlar and solid hub is my daily and I love it, tiny bit twichy starting in reverse, but good everywhere else.

It all comes down to what you are used to and what you want to learn. Heavier flywheel with street tires is just throwing away performance, but they make starting easier for people who cant/wont learn left foot preciscion.
Old 04-25-2016, 05:25 AM   #14 (permalink)
\/Your Mom Was Here\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelEspinoza View Post
Heavier flywheel with street tires is just throwing away performance, but they make starting easier for people who cant/wont learn left foot preciscion.
Not everyone drives a race car for a daily, some creature comforts are in place of performance for the daily driver car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95grndxhatch View Post
It's just a DD, no drag or auto x.

Quote:
Old 05-03-2016, 05:09 PM   #15 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

JoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 5 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerDrinkin View Post
Not everyone drives a race car for a daily, some creature comforts are in place of performance for the daily driver car.
A clutch choice is about the whole clutch setup, along with gearing and car weight. Super tall gears, tall tires, a heavy car, with a grabby disk and a lightweight flywheel would suck.

My 4.266 final in my lightweight CRX with a unsprung hub kevlar disk and my 7lb Fidanza take barely more precision than a dead stock clutch and flywheel, but they allow the engine to rev a LOT faster.

I know this for a fact because I drove my other CRX (with a stock clutch and flywheel) for the first time in almost a year a couple days ago and the performance difference is night and day, but the work to engage the clutch smoothly is nearly the exact same.

Quote:
It's just a DD, no drag or auto x. I have CAI, header, full exhaust, and a short shifter, just trying to make it a little more sporty and have the revs drop a little faster between shifts. Seems like the 7-9lb range might be too light for my application from what I've read on here.
7lbs is fine for a daily, I would have no issues going lighter if they made such a thing affordably. Just keep in mind weight and gearing, a DX tranny with a 7lb flywheel in a 3000lb car would kinda blow, Si gearing with a 7lb flywheel in a 2000lb car is a rockstar.
Old 05-18-2016, 06:52 PM   #16 (permalink)
n00b

I'm loving the 12lb flywheel, the throttle response is much better and the revs drop nicely between shifts. Along with the z6 engine and tranny it feels like a whole new car. My only complaint is when going into neutral when coming to a stop the revs drop down below 500rpm and it gets shaky. I adjusted the idle screw and bumped it up around 1000 and that solved it, but it still happens with the a/c on. Anyone know how the adjust the idle for the a/c?
Old 05-18-2016, 07:30 PM   #17 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Quote:
I'm loving the 12lb flywheel, the throttle response is much better and the revs drop nicely between shifts. Along with the z6 engine and tranny it feels like a whole new car. My only complaint is when going into neutral when coming to a stop the revs drop down below 500rpm and it gets shaky. I adjusted the idle screw and bumped it up around 1000 and that solved it, but it still happens with the a/c on. Anyone know how the adjust the idle for the a/c?
bump the igniton timing, but also might need a little tuning in the ECU. Have you adjusted the FITV?

OBD-1 bring the injectors back on line will cause low rpm dip at times. With AC on IACV should catch the rpm drop sooner.....

It is generally worse with OBD-1 and 7 lb flywheel but my OBD-0 CRX is fine.

Quote:
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
Old 05-18-2016, 09:50 PM   #18 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelEspinoza View Post
7lbs is fine for a daily, I would have no issues going lighter if they made such a thing affordably. Just keep in mind weight and gearing, a DX tranny with a 7lb flywheel in a 3000lb car would kinda blow, Si gearing with a 7lb flywheel in a 2000lb car is a rockstar.
The farther spaced the gears are, the easier it is to drive a lighter flywheel due to the rpm drops on shifts. With a close ratio trans the rpms drop too much/too fast and you "rush" the shift which can put extra wear on the sliders and synchros.

With a closer ratio gear box, a heavier flywheel (still lighter than stock) will drop the rpms to the sweet spot for the next shift. For me with ZC gears, that is 10-12 lbs. This 7 lb CM is a PITA at times, but then again the trans is 25 years old and has been abused.

I found out that when the diff was installed in 2002ish only the ISB and seals were replaced.

Quote:
Old 05-19-2016, 07:48 AM   #19 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by transzex View Post
bump the igniton timing, but also might need a little tuning in the ECU. Have you adjusted the FITV.
Would I need to advance or retard the timing? It's set dead on to factory spec right now. I haven't adjusted the FITV, is that just taking it apart and cleaning it?
Old 05-19-2016, 08:05 AM   #20 (permalink)
\/Your Mom Was Here\/

The FITV in those have a plastic nut that tends to loosen up. Take apart and locktite and re assemble with the plastic nut tightened all the way down.

I think this should help:

D16Z6 fast idle thermo valve (write-up) - Honda-Tech

Quote:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in