S-20 Making Some unusual noise - Video Attached - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Transmission alley

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2016, 10:42 AM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default S-20 Making Some unusual noise - Video Attached

https://youtu.be/gNvogJzw2pE?t=26

Hey Guys- I may be in the market for a new transmission after hearing these sounds come from my engine bay.

Perhaps a power plant as well judging by all the valve noise in the video - Sounds like a sewing machine.

Where should I be looking?

First inside my Transmission case of course is where I should look - but what should I be looking for?

I have a few spares with their own issues I could crack open for parts if absolutely necessary.

Advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
Neoburge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2016, 02:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

Start car in Neutral, allow to run, then push in clutch pedal, any changes in the noise?

One of the 12 bearings most likely...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2016, 01:47 PM   #3 (permalink)

It only happens while In gear and clutch out. First and second gear when at low to mid rpms.

I figure I will have to rebuild or replace - Any resources to find a decent D - Series transmission? or Rebuild kit? - Not looking to break my arm and leg off for super premium parts but I also do not want to cheap out.

Old 03-15-2016, 01:51 PM   #4 (permalink)

Rep Power: 27 Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!
Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 27 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Aquafina

You can ship your trans to Whoopee Doo Racing (me) for a rebuild or order a Synchrotech rebuild kit. A basic bearing/seal kit (all seals, all main bearings except differential, does not include gear needle bearings) is $185 shipped. Add brass synchros and springs for $75. Add carbon-lined synchros and springs for $125. If you're unsure of the shape of the transmission and don't want to wait, a master rebuild kit (basic bearing/seal kit + carbon-lined synchros + all sliders) is $420 shipped. You can add diff bearings in for an additional $49.95.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rocket Motorsports, MFactory, Torco, Action Clutch, HASport, Synchrotech, OS Giken, Gear-X, Wavetrac, Quaife
Official MFactory North American Installer

Aquafina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2016, 05:16 PM   #5 (permalink)
gonzo
Restricted account

Rep Power: 0 DJChaserz is worse than Satan's assholeDJChaserz is worse than Satan's assholeDJChaserz is worse than Satan's asshole

I would trust WDR and just send in your transmission for a rebuilt, Aqua is a pretty good guy and i would trust him with my tranny, and obviously knows what he is doing.
DJChaserz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2016, 05:58 PM   #6 (permalink)
Asshole

Rep Power: 53 Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 42 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Chrisfrom1986

Chrisfrom1986 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2016, 08:15 AM   #7 (permalink)

Right on - I have a few other transmissions all in some state or form of dis-repair but outside of the vehicle and accessable - If I were to choose one of those -

say -the S-20

It would be wise to start looking for a LSD? and source the parts for the rebuild and then send it it in?

Or is that something you have better connections with and can get a better deal on parts?
Old 04-09-2016, 08:22 AM   #8 (permalink)

* I should say I am looking for something that can take daily abuse - like a pissed of teenager abuse - But very occasionally on a relatively stock power set up..

Does that make sense?

Last edited by Neoburge; 04-09-2016 at 08:24 AM.
Old 04-09-2016, 09:00 AM   #9 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 44 Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

Be worried about the internals, need some gear oil that last at high temps, a good clutch and fly wheel combo to handle launches and prolonged pulls. Most of all driver skill to not burn it up and blow it all to hell.

The B000 s20 is a great transmission, the A000 is more like the ex long gears. The B has shortter d15b jdm mad tyte gears.

LSD is optional, on a street car.

Quote:
They stop laughing at your piece of shit when they can only see it through your dust.
R.I.P. - NN4S
R.I.P. - Cali Noob

You guys are gone but never forgotten, we live each day to the fullest for you, who cannot see the new day we often forget is amazing.

xbox gamer tag: angeloah
Whoshot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2016, 11:40 AM   #10 (permalink)

Rep Power: 27 Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!
Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 27 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Aquafina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoshot View Post
Be worried about the internals, need some gear oil that last at high temps, a good clutch and fly wheel combo to handle launches and prolonged pulls. Most of all driver skill to not burn it up and blow it all to hell.

The B000 s20 is a great transmission, the A000 is more like the ex long gears. The B has shortter d15b jdm mad tyte gears.

LSD is optional, on a street car.

JDM D15B ratios are the same as USDM EX. A000 is not like B000 ratios except for 1/4/5.

neoburge,

All of the parts you need for the build will be purchased from me.

Rocket Motorsports, MFactory, Torco, Action Clutch, HASport, Synchrotech, OS Giken, Gear-X, Wavetrac, Quaife
Official MFactory North American Installer

Aquafina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2016, 12:14 PM   #11 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 44 Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

I musta read it wrong, my apologies, just trying to help.

Quote:
They stop laughing at your piece of shit when they can only see it through your dust.
R.I.P. - NN4S
R.I.P. - Cali Noob

You guys are gone but never forgotten, we live each day to the fullest for you, who cannot see the new day we often forget is amazing.

xbox gamer tag: angeloah
Whoshot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2016, 12:33 PM   #12 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

granted the noises are terrible, but you should look into what caused them.

fluid quality? interval between changes? are the hydraulics good? any leaks?

yes the transmission sounds like it requires work. but take the opportunity to find out WHY it got to its current state of operation

2003 Hyundai Sonata GLS 2.7 Delta 197k

1998 Cadillac Seville SLS just broke 100k
2001 civic LX coupe MTX 199k
Sometimes, the difficult path is the easiest path
D/B/F/H/K compression questions?

Build what you have!

mattliston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
del sol, noise, s-20, transmission

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in