Synchromesh before new bearings and seals, what after? - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Transmission alley

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2016, 08:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 13 evotec1 will become famous soon enoughevotec1 will become famous soon enoughevotec1 will become famous soon enough
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Synchromesh before new bearings and seals, what after?

So buddy's car slightly grinded in 3rd, synchromesh helped 95% but from reading (plus the fact the shop says all synchros are good to go another 10 rounds) I guess he might have had other issues contributing to the grind.

Now w the auto/manual conversion, like his car, I'm not running an AC vibration mount damper thing. Problem? Everyone says check your mounts. He ran synchromesh. He also said non AC cars didn't run that mount, stock.

With this in mind, do I run Jurassic juice, synchromesh, or Honda MTF in the new tranny, and what are some proven ideas for preventing further grinding, and promoting a long tranny life?
evotec1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2016, 08:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
n00b

I've heard from many people if you have aftermarket performance motor mounts that there is no need to run both torque mounts ( a/c bracket mount in front of driver wheel)
Personally I want every mount I can have to insure my motor/transmission stays aligned properly and won't drop out from engine bay.
As far as transmission fluid I have heard good things from synchromesh fluid, redline, and of course Honda MTF . From what I have read they changed fluid specs after epa put restrictions on motor oil components. Not 100% on that but always better safe then sorry.. My transmission just bit the bullet and I already have 3qts of Honda MTF in my trunk right now.
Good luck on which ever you go with.
Old 02-28-2016, 08:54 AM   #3 (permalink)

Rep Power: 27 Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!
Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 27 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Aquafina

Unless you're running solid mounts, run the torque mounts.

Do NOT run Honda MTF. 10w-30 motor oil is leaps and bounds better than Honda MTF.

If there is a grind, it will get worse and cost more the longer you wait to fix it. Fluid will not fix anything.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rocket Motorsports, MFactory, Torco, Action Clutch, HASport, Synchrotech, OS Giken, Gear-X, Wavetrac, Quaife
Official MFactory North American Installer

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Aquafina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2016, 02:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

Redline MTL or MT90, Honda MTF, three fluids you NEVER put in a D series transmission.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-29-2016, 05:32 AM   #5 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 7 StuckInTexas  is accepted as part of the communityStuckInTexas  is accepted as part of the communityStuckInTexas  is accepted as part of the communityStuckInTexas  is accepted as part of the community

Why not? Because its thin ?
StuckInTexas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-29-2016, 07:52 AM   #6 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 13 evotec1 will become famous soon enoughevotec1 will become famous soon enoughevotec1 will become famous soon enough

Synchros look like new according to shop so I'm not sure what can be fixed other than what's already in their trash bin. So if the grind is MOUNT related...

Running poly mounts, buddy was running stock minus driver side torque mount, maybe I will have less issue?

Do u guys use dino style or high tech 10 30's? Changing fluid is no big deal so if fresh rotella-d is the way to go but I gotta change it every x thousand miles then that's what's up

Tranny comes home tomorrow
Old 02-29-2016, 09:15 AM   #7 (permalink)

Rep Power: 27 Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!
Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!

Non-synthetic every 7,000 miles.

Rocket Motorsports, MFactory, Torco, Action Clutch, HASport, Synchrotech, OS Giken, Gear-X, Wavetrac, Quaife

Old 02-29-2016, 09:35 AM   #8 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 10 leec4391 smells like Boratleec4391 smells like Boratleec4391 smells like Boratleec4391 smells like Boratleec4391 smells like Boratleec4391 smells like Borat
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquafina View Post
Unless you're running solid mounts, run the torque mounts.

Do NOT run Honda MTF. 10w-30 motor oil is leaps and bounds better than Honda MTF.

If there is a grind, it will get worse and cost more the longer you wait to fix it. Fluid will not fix anything.
What about running a Mfactory plated diff?

Later in the year i plan to do a rebuild with a mfactory diff. What makes 10-30 better than MTF?
leec4391 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2016, 07:45 AM   #9 (permalink)
D-series lover

It came from DINOSAURS. MTF comes from science.
Old 03-01-2016, 08:42 AM   #10 (permalink)
\/Your Mom Was Here\/

Rep Power: 54 BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 11 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by leec4391 View Post
What about running a Mfactory plated diff?

Later in the year i plan to do a rebuild with a mfactory diff. What makes 10-30 better than MTF?
Torco MTF and a Ford type Friction Modifier additive. I think Ford makes some shit called XL-3 that you can use, we use it at the Toyota dealer I work for in all our LSD apps. I don't know if Torco offers a friction modifier but if they do I bet it is good too.

If not just use some 10w30 motorcycle/ATV oil, it has more additives (ZDDP and phosphorus etc) because they share the same oil for the engine and trans.

2005 Civic EX Sedan (ES2)

You will be missed but not forgotten.

Quote:
I actually jerk off to my rep points, neg rep makes me thumb my bung, what now brown cow? I finished twice.
BeerDrinkin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2016, 09:06 AM   #11 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 25 cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!
cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to cervan Send a message via MSN to cervan

How did the sliders and shift forks look? if the synchros look good i would be more concerned with those than anything.
cervan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2016, 09:13 AM   #12 (permalink)

Honda MTF is too thin even when cold.

For MFactory Metal-Plate LSD, Torco RTF and Torco Type F Friction Modifier. Change every 7,000 miles or every 5 track events.

Old 03-02-2016, 07:58 AM   #13 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 10 leec4391 smells like Boratleec4391 smells like Boratleec4391 smells like Boratleec4391 smells like Boratleec4391 smells like Boratleec4391 smells like Borat
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Thumbs up

Quote:
Honda MTF is too thin even when cold.

For MFactory Metal-Plate LSD, Torco RTF and Torco Type F Friction Modifier. Change every 7,000 miles or every 5 track events.
Thanks man!
leec4391 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2016, 04:16 AM   #14 (permalink)
lex
D-series lover

Rep Power: 13 lex smells like Boratlex smells like Boratlex smells like Boratlex smells like Boratlex smells like Boratlex smells like Borat

Quote:
OT: Is Type-F also beneficial for OEM Honda P20/B000 or ZXi 14 bolt clutch LSDs?
Old 03-03-2016, 06:49 AM   #15 (permalink)

I originally replied with no, but I've never had a customer try adding any into the LSD and I don't bother with the OEM viscous LSD's.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in