D16Y8 Tranny Grind - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Transmission alley

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2016, 09:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default D16Y8 Tranny Grind

Hello, I have a 1993 Honda Civic that has a D16Y8. I dont think this is the stock engine in it so I do not know if it is the Standard tranny for the D16Y8 (S40?), or if it is something else. I have not rebuilt a transmission before but my dad is a master mechanic and I am an electrical engineer. Between the two of us this shouldnt be bad.

Moving forward, I like this little car, its really beat up and the people before me did all sorts of awful things to it, but little by little I have been trying to get it nice again. The trans has always had a grind in 3rd and 4th. I have only put maybe, 2k miles on it since I got it 4 years ago, it was always a tinker car.

From my understanding this problem comes from the gear sleeves? I do not know what these look like and have had a hard time finding them online.

Should I do an entire rebuild? Or just the sleeves? And what do these look like, and where can I purchase them.

If the repairs are going to be over $200 I'll probably drive it till it locks up and just junk the car. Which would be a shame but from other threads I read, its likely to be a $600 job just in parts. I never send anything to anyone and I never buy new, but I couldn't trust a junkyard tranny from honda at this point, my Cavalier has never had tranny issues and its sad that so many manual honda's dont seem last as long.
darkipod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2016, 01:39 AM   #2 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

More info on the grinding issues.

I'm dropping of a Y8 trans today that had a BAD 3-4 grind, parts were $200 for 3-4 sleeve, 3-4 shifter fork, ISB bearing and seals.

Manual Hondas last plenty long, just the monkeys rowing/racing the gears teat them up.

The bad news, I bought the last of the new 3-4 forks from Honda. I might have an outside source but yet to test them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2016, 07:06 AM   #3 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 27 Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!
Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 27 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Aquafina

It will cost more than $200. You will have to look for a long time to find good used parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by transzex View Post
The bad news, I bought the last of the new 3-4 forks from Honda.
No you didn't.
Aquafina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2016, 09:34 AM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by transzex View Post
More info on the grinding issues.

I'm dropping of a Y8 trans today that had a BAD 3-4 grind, parts were $200 for 3-4 sleeve, 3-4 shifter fork, ISB bearing and seals.

Manual Hondas last plenty long, just the monkeys rowing/racing the gears teat them up.

The bad news, I bought the last of the new 3-4 forks from Honda. I might have an outside source but yet to test them.
So the car is toast then? Rather the tranny is, and for me thats enough to junk the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquafina View Post
It will cost more than $200. You will have to look for a long time to find good used parts.

No you didn't.
Used parts in a tranny? So I'll do tons of work for it to only be goof for another year max? From what I am hearing, the car is done.
Old 02-27-2016, 03:55 PM   #5 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

Rep Power: 50 slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to slo_eg8

transmissions are everywhere, why get rid of the car when you can throw another trans in it?
koni yellow/gc coils
uber rare eg6 optional snowflakes

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

new 95 ej1.
slo_eg8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2016, 04:13 PM   #6 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo_eg8 View Post
transmissions are everywhere, why get rid of the car when you can throw another trans in it?
I agree. I just bought a hx trans from a salvage yard with 107k miles on it for $150, with a 90 day warranty.. and not even a u-pull, I paid and they loaded it in the trunk for me. Shifts like butter too
broski is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2016, 04:58 PM   #7 (permalink)
n00b

Cause it doesnt seem like they last that long. Not that I drive mine hard, I only use it fro school commute and I dive about ~110 round trip. In my area it isnt easy to find honda stuff thats close, Id have to drive about 500 miles to get it.
Old 02-27-2016, 05:02 PM   #8 (permalink)
n00b

I also don't imagine that the swap is very easy. My dad only said he would help me rebuild it, I was going to have to drop and install it on my own. If I was going to get something that I had rebuilt, and would last at least 70k before I had to mess with it, then I would be ok with that. But I dont even know what trannies I can put in this thing, or what to look for in one in a junk yard. 99% of the yard around here only even carry autos, I would have to hit up specialty ones.
Old 02-28-2016, 08:57 AM   #9 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 27 Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!
Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 27 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Aquafina

If it's rebuilt properly and driven correctly it will last a very long time if you maintain it. I have a couple I've rebuilt in commuter's pushing 400k since the rebuild.
Aquafina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2016, 02:06 PM   #10 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquafina View Post
If it's rebuilt properly and driven correctly it will last a very long time if you maintain it. I have a couple I've rebuilt in commuter's pushing 400k since the rebuild.
Yeah but I only paid $650 for the car, and like I said, the body is really rough, no rust but big dings, someone hit a trailer
hitch and the hood is messed up, the front part where the latch is has been really bent up.
The paint is really bad. I dont think I could even sell the ca for what I paid for it.
When I got it, it was lowered with cut springs, I bought new struts and springs, she sits right now(Thank god), new tires on it, cruise control doesn't work and probably never will, the SRS light is on and I can't figure out why, I have worked a lot on the interior, put in a new sunroof cause the old one was shattered.
It didnt have a headliner but I bought one of those too, nothing can go into the trunk cause it leaks badly.
I wanted it to be a fun project but, even if the tranny doesnt go, I can't see anyone wanting this car.
Old 02-28-2016, 02:25 PM   #11 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

Rep Power: 50 slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkipod View Post
Cause it doesnt seem like they last that long. Not that I drive mine hard, I only use it fro school commute and I dive about ~110 round trip. In my area it isnt easy to find honda stuff thats close, Id have to drive about 500 miles to get it.
because 20+ year old cars still on the road dont last? lol, bro, bet you can find a y7 trans that has no issues, or even a 92-95 dx that someone got rid of to drop in an ex/si trans. you just aint trying. and its easier to swap a trans, than it is to rebuild
koni yellow/gc coils

new 95 ej1.
Old 02-28-2016, 02:53 PM   #12 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

negative nancy gets igged

Quote:
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
Old 02-28-2016, 05:06 PM   #13 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
because 20+ year old cars still on the road dont last? lol, bro, bet you can find a y7 trans that has no issues, or even a 92-95 dx that someone got rid of to drop in an ex/si trans. you just aint trying. and its easier to swap a trans, than it is to rebuild
Possibly, but at this point, im looking at it, and it just doesn't seem worth it. Mostly because of how beat on the rest of the car is. Iv done a lot of work to it, esp the suspension but I guess at the end of the day it was just a bad buy.

Is there any trans that isn't expensive on parts (to rebuild) and is considered good performance wise?
Old 02-28-2016, 05:58 PM   #14 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

just buy a cheap dx transmission, swap it and drive it till the wheels fall off. the internals arnt cheap, the labor isnt easy. if the car already had that many problems, you should have passed on it to begin with
koni yellow/gc coils

new 95 ej1.
Old 02-28-2016, 06:10 PM   #15 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
just buy a cheap dx transmission, swap it and drive it till the wheels fall off. the internals arnt cheap, the labor isnt easy. if the car already had that many problems, you should have passed on it to begin with
To be fair I bought it as a beater car, so I didnt care what it looked like outside, I was tired of people hitting my nice car all the time and beating on it like inconsiderate assholes. Thing is now that I dont have to worry about that anymore, so I wanted to make it a very different car. When I bought it, its intention was to be reliabel, and cheap to fix, as a learner car. All the work I had done on cars up till that point was under the supervision of my dad, and I wanted to branch out to learn more. I have learned quite a bit, there is a guy with a tranny in Orlando, but he wants $150 for it. I decided to put the care on CL and see what happens.
Old 02-28-2016, 06:14 PM   #16 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

where are you located? you can find dx transmissions for under $100 all day. and to be honest, I rather have my y7 trans over any other short gear car Ive rode in
koni yellow/gc coils

new 95 ej1.
Old 02-28-2016, 06:54 PM   #17 (permalink)
Asshole

Rep Power: 53 Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 42 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Chrisfrom1986

!!!! World Of Trasmission !!!!

Chrisfrom1986 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2016, 08:35 PM   #18 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Quote:
where are you located? you can find dx transmissions for under $100 all day. and to be honest, I rather have my y7 trans over any other short gear car Ive rode in
If the slow traffic is moving, yes. The wider DX 1-2 shines there. My ZC 1-2 is at times a PITA in traffic, like yesterday in Chicago.

Quote:
Old 02-28-2016, 08:53 PM   #19 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 12 dirty d is approaching greatnessdirty d is approaching greatnessdirty d is approaching greatnessdirty d is approaching greatnessdirty d is approaching greatnessdirty d is approaching greatnessdirty d is approaching greatnessdirty d is approaching greatnessdirty d is approaching greatnessdirty d is approaching greatnessdirty d is approaching greatnessdirty d is approaching greatnessdirty d is approaching greatness
Send a message via AIM to dirty d Send a message via Yahoo to dirty d

With traffic in chicago my old slushy worked fine. I was also super confident with the external trans cooler i had put inline with the radiator. With manual i just pray we coast atleast going 20mph to just roll 2nd as high as possible then usually use that to decel since one person sees brake lights and everyone slams their brakes
dirty d is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2016, 09:16 PM   #20 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty d View Post
With traffic in chicago my old slushy worked fine. I was also super confident with the external trans cooler i had put inline with the radiator. With manual i just pray we coast atleast going 20mph to just roll 2nd as high as possible then usually use that to decel since one person sees brake lights and everyone slams their brakes
Why I love slushy's at times.

You know the traffic I was in yesterday. With everyone swapping lanes, cutting people off....no one was laying on the horns or screaming. It was like, you took that gap, nice move asshole, I didn't think you'd take the gap!

Oh yeah, once D serious figured out the I-59 south to Joilet and corn fields, I was in the country I used to cut through to get to Route 66 Dragway. Two stressful events yesterday that worked out for the better.

Quote:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in