Self clearancing inside dry end of tranny, cause? +pics - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Transmission alley

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2016, 04:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 13 evotec1 will become famous soon enoughevotec1 will become famous soon enoughevotec1 will become famous soon enough
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Self clearancing inside dry end of tranny, cause? +pics

Ok so Intec Racing is crooked, first off. Good tranny before swap, I get the second hand bits and now its immediately in for bearings and seals. (Isb was trashed, another 2 noisy and less than smooth) There's where we begin.

This was preexisting and I can't really tell if there was fresh damage done by the 300 feet I drove it before proceding to yank it back out, but i dont think so. there's this shiny metal that's been self clearanced by SOMETHING I can't figure out. It's inside the dry end right by the axles.

A very reputable and highly recommended shop says if everything is bolted up correctly the clearanced area is meaningless and I'll have a great transmission for years, but what CAUSED it? And what needs to be paid attention to now?

Tranny is s40 b000 bolted to JDM d15b non vtec converted to mpfi

Could it have been the bearings? Could it have been an improper clutch or a botched installation?

Gotten so much great info from the searches recently that I haven't posted here in 7 years...search is no help this time, neither is Google. I've even just sifted through images of damaged trannys on google. U guys got this though, right?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160226_165805.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	708.2 KB
ID:	103305   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160226_165712.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	391.1 KB
ID:	103313  
evotec1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2016, 04:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 13 evotec1 will become famous soon enoughevotec1 will become famous soon enoughevotec1 will become famous soon enough

The intec thing I don't wanna get into, but it's safe to say I wouldn't call them a HONDA shop anymore, and I wouldn't have em swap anything but a jz since that's their thing now.

The work on buddy's Honda was poor at best. One bolt in the starter? Cmonnnn
Old 02-26-2016, 06:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

That is from the clutch/pressure plate, nothing to do with the trans itself. But I don't think the flywheel is THAT big.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2016, 09:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-series lover

See, I thought that too but there's no corresponding wear on the current clutch or pressure plate. How would one properly check to ensure there is no contact once installed? Simply turn the engine and listen through where the starter bolts up?
Old 02-27-2016, 12:10 AM   #5 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 25 cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!
cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to cervan Send a message via MSN to cervan

I had a clearance issue with my y8 trans when i bolted it up with my action 6 puck clutch and cromoly flywheel. It wasnt anywhere near that agressive of a hit though, it simply had some casting flash that it ended up slightly hitting.

That is a pretty deep cut, and the sharp endpoint points to the flywheel ring gear teeth eating it away. Take a look at the ring gear teeth and see if they have aluminum on them.

Only thing i could think of would be a flywheel that is spaced out too far or has alot of runout.
cervan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2016, 01:35 AM   #6 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

That could be a thin area to begin with. But if it is not leaking yet....

Did you buy the tranny like that? I wonder if a dual disc setup was used before?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
Old 02-27-2016, 07:09 AM   #7 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 27 Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!
Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 27 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Aquafina

I know of no standard setups that would contact like that.
Aquafina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2016, 07:55 AM   #8 (permalink)
D-series lover

Yeah it came in my buddy's car, someone had been Street racing it and all the good parts were swapped off as part of their deal according to my buddy (that gave me his swap leftovers).

Will totally be checking things out closely when I make it back out to the farm this afternoon
Old 02-27-2016, 09:24 AM   #9 (permalink)
D-series lover

Sorry for being super basic but manual trannys are new to me. My family always drove automatics. Aside from the odd slave or MC jobs I've done with friends I know nothing.
Old 03-08-2016, 08:50 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-series lover

Ok so the ring gear wasnt seated flush, was 3mm off on one side. Problem solved I guess.

On buddy's car, every 9th or 10th time he tried to start it he'd have to push start it, and some of the clearancing was evident pre swap. Could his starter issue be related to this?
Old 03-08-2016, 08:55 PM   #11 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 25 cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!
cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by evotec1 View Post
Ok so the ring gear wasnt seated flush, was 3mm off on one side. Problem solved I guess.

On buddy's car, every 9th or 10th time he tried to start it he'd have to push start it, and some of the clearancing was evident pre swap. Could his starter issue be related to this?
Wow, how the hell does that happen. is the ring gear pressed on or bolted on?

You can check your buddies car by removing the starter and spinning the motor over by hand without the spark plugs in and holding a piece of wire steady near the ring gear to see if it has any runout.

Ive never heard of a ring gear falling off though, thats a new one.
Old 03-08-2016, 09:11 PM   #12 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Starter ring gears are a press fit on alum. flywheels. Cheap ones don't use the button head retaining screws as you can see here....

The issue happens when the flywheel cools down as the alum. will contract faster than the ring gear.

Quote:
Old 03-09-2016, 01:40 AM   #13 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Quote:
Originally Posted by transzex View Post
Starter ring gears are a press fit on alum. flywheels. Cheap ones don't use the button head retaining screws as you can see here....

The issue happens when the flywheel cools down as the alum. will contract faster than the ring gear.
thats dangerous as fuck why the hell would someone think its ok to not secure a cast iron ring gear on an aluminum flywheel.
Old 03-09-2016, 08:45 AM   #14 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 24 HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!
HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

This is the world of Honda's - #1 is price, #2 is any other factor (inc safety).

I've seen some other comparisons made by non-Honda people and in more than a few cases the heavier flywheel held more power on the same clutch. Alum also has less mass so it can't absorb as much heat. Heat dissipation is similar as it's bolted to a hot crankshaft & sits next to the waterjacket.

In other words, I'd only use alum in cases where fast shifting isn't a major factor in going fast.

HiProfile is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2016, 07:44 AM   #15 (permalink)
D-series lover

Ummm flywheel from buddy's car is what I used for the conversion. It's a steel, stock y7 piece. SHOULD it have been more than pressed on? My old domestic stuff was all just pressed so I figured i was fine.
Old 03-14-2016, 07:49 AM   #16 (permalink)
D-series lover

I don't even get the lightened flywheel thing. I'm going for gains in 60' as a means to et improvement in a modest 1.5L driver and less stored energy certainly isn't gonna help ME none.

Plus the thing is like impossible to stall which is great for Jessica who drives torquier stuff via a mt now.
Old 04-11-2016, 10:17 AM   #17 (permalink)
D-series lover

Hey so the ring gear thing is now manifesting itself as a starting issue when it's warm, but has cooled off some.

Looking at either a 12lb sfi approved steel replacement, or an exedy pro kit clutch and OEM style replacement flywheel

Mustang guys reuse clutches all the time, lots of ppl say it's bad practice but I don't see the threads where ppl say they regret doing it so take that fwiw...

Are all eBay non sfi approved OEM style created equal? Lots of no name brands, only ONE I've heard of (luk) and I kinda don't want another ring gear that fails.

Idk if I'm better off paying good money for a flywheel, and reusing my clutch or getting a no name eBay deal w a known reliable clutch. Both seem like gambling but that's my budget. 250 is good, 225 better, and an exedy full kit w oem weight fw @190 seems too good to be true.

Thoughts?
Old 04-11-2016, 11:12 AM   #18 (permalink)
D-series G0D

BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 78 reviews

I went with an Exedy OEM replacement setup on my stock Z6 build; held perfectly fine and could chirp second gear without trying.
BLK92_D16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2016, 11:26 AM   #19 (permalink)
D-series lover

Exedy flywheel?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in