d16z6 transmission oil - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Transmission alley

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2016, 04:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default d16z6 transmission oil

I think I goofed pretty bad. I have never worked with honda engines before, and the previous engine in my 74 mini cooper used engine oil to oil the transmission. When I put the d16z6 in the mini, i simply put the half shafts in and filled the car with oil and let 'er rip. Ive only put about 60 miles on the car, but I saw somewhere that I have to fill the transmission through the VSS with transmission oil. Am I getting scared for nothing? The transmission seemed fine other than the occasional hard shift into 3rd.

I will be taking the motor out of the car in order to do some body work, so I will be pulling the half shafts again. Thanks guys
dunejunkie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2016, 05:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

Rep Power: 50 slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to slo_eg8

youre supposed to put oil in the trans.......

https://www.d-series.org/forums/trans...verfilled.html
koni yellow/gc coils
uber rare eg6 optional snowflakes

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

new 95 ej1.

Last edited by slo_eg8; 02-16-2016 at 05:05 PM.
slo_eg8 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2016, 08:42 PM   #3 (permalink)

Rep Power: 27 Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!
Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 27 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Aquafina

If you didn't put any fluid in the trans, the damage is already done.

If you put oil in the trans, carry on.

Rocket Motorsports, MFactory, Torco, Action Clutch, HASport, Synchrotech, OS Giken, Gear-X, Wavetrac, Quaife
Official MFactory North American Installer

Aquafina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2016, 09:06 PM   #4 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

I tore down a trans that had no oil added, went 100 miles in short trips and had no signs of heat damage. I was amazed.

If the trans had been kept level and wasn't drained before the swap, it will hold 1.3-1.5 quarts. Drain the trans to see what comes out and fill with two quarts of 10w30 motor oil through the VSS opening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2016, 09:10 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 12 559civic_dx is hot as a volcano559civic_dx is hot as a volcano
559civic_dx is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 21 reviews

Agreed I let my buddy borrow a z6 trans when he put an engine in his car he forgot to fill the trans with oil he traveled about 200 miles before having any trouble with the trans lol needless to say he paid me for the trans he damaged

So put oil in the trans and see what happens

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

my 1996 hatch build in progress

R.I.P. Pat Primmer
[B]R.I.P. CALI NOOB
559civic_dx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2016, 05:59 PM   #6 (permalink)
n00b

Hey guys, so I went to drain the transmission fluid, and only about half a quart came out. Ive already bought a new transmission, as I wanted a 3.7ish final drive anyways to run with the 10inch wheels. Now I was told that the transmission i got was off of a dx civic d15b. I want to pull the trigger on an lsd and I was looking at OBX as an option. However, it looks like the OBX lsd only comes in 40mm. The DX trans is 35mm right? Super new to transmissions as you guys can probably tell lol. Also, what would I look for in my existing transmission to indicate damage?
Old 03-20-2016, 06:22 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series soldier

theotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 5 reviews

Pony up and spend the money on a mfactory lsd, so that way you won't be out a lsd and possibly a transmission when the obx fails.

There's a couple guys on here that supply mfactory goodies, and yes, you'll need the smaller bearing diff, not the SI 40MM
theotherchris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2016, 10:34 PM   #8 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by neubie View Post
Pony up and spend the money on a mfactory lsd, so that way you won't be out a lsd and possibly a transmission when the obx fails.

There's a couple guys on here that supply mfactory goodies, and yes, you'll need the smaller bearing diff, not the SI 40MM
And who would I speak to about said goodies?
Old 03-21-2016, 02:32 AM   #9 (permalink)

Rep Power: 27 Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!
Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!

Me. I just built a DX trans with 35mm MFactory helical LSD for a Mini.

The MFactory 35mm helical LSD is $699.95 shipped and diff bearings are an additional $49.95. If you need it installed, labor for the complete trans build is $200.

Rocket Motorsports, MFactory, Torco, Action Clutch, HASport, Synchrotech, OS Giken, Gear-X, Wavetrac, Quaife

Old 03-21-2016, 09:30 AM   #10 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquafina View Post
Me. I just built a DX trans with 35mm MFactory helical LSD for a Mini.

The MFactory 35mm helical LSD is $699.95 shipped and diff bearings are an additional $49.95. If you need it installed, labor for the complete trans build is $200.
I actually just ordered the lsd for 699.95 shipped and that included two new diff bearings. I was going to attempt the install myself. Can someone point me to a good write up?
Old 03-21-2016, 10:26 AM   #11 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

Rep Power: 50 slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheToaster View Post
Read the FSM it's all been covered before.

Else Search DSO.

I posted a thread with a bunch of little stuff to look for while I did my install.
koni yellow/gc coils

new 95 ej1.

Last edited by slo_eg8; 03-21-2016 at 10:32 AM.
Old 03-21-2016, 11:32 AM   #12 (permalink)

Helms manual.

Old 03-22-2016, 03:22 PM   #13 (permalink)
n00b

Maybe I'm just bad a researching, but I can't seem to find a helms manual for a civic del sol (where my engine came from). Anyone got a link?
Old 03-22-2016, 07:15 PM   #14 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo_eg8 View Post
https://www.d-series.org/forums/trans...learances.html
koni yellow/gc coils

new 95 ej1.
Old 03-23-2016, 12:30 PM   #15 (permalink)
n00b

Thanks for the info guys. So the transmission that I pulled came out of a car with 20k miles. The transmission was the original that came with the car, and the buddy that I got the transmission from is pretty good at not beating manuals trannys to shit. That being said, is there anything else I should replace while I'm in there?
Old 03-23-2016, 03:11 PM   #16 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

replace any and all bearings that have any slop.

check tolerances.

lots of stuff to check over.

bone, aqua, and a few others have quite a bti of info on here.

trouble searching?

I use google with a website filter to find stuff. works better than d series itself

2003 Hyundai Sonata GLS 2.7 Delta 197k

1998 Cadillac Seville SLS just broke 100k
2001 civic LX coupe MTX 199k
Sometimes, the difficult path is the easiest path
D/B/F/H/K compression questions?

Build what you have!

mattliston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2016, 07:39 PM   #17 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattliston View Post
replace any and all bearings that have any slop.
Except that one bearing that is "sloppy" even when new

Quote:
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
Old 03-23-2016, 07:51 PM   #18 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by transzex View Post
Except that one bearing that is "sloppy" even when new
sssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

2003 Hyundai Sonata GLS 2.7 Delta 197k

1998 Cadillac Seville SLS just broke 100k
2001 civic LX coupe MTX 199k
Sometimes, the difficult path is the easiest path
D/B/F/H/K compression questions?

Build what you have!

mattliston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2016, 10:05 PM   #19 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

It is fine when preloaded by the thrust washer

Quote:
Old 03-29-2016, 05:47 PM   #20 (permalink)
n00b

So I went through and checked all of the tolerances, and everything is on the tighter side of the range. All of the bearings are free of slop, and I see no signs of scoring anywhere. This thing is clean! So Im just going to replace the seals for the half shafts and the washers on the mainshaft.

When I took the interlock bolt out, I didnt mark it like I have seen some people do. Is that bad? Is there not a simple torque spec I can tighten it to?

Also I read somewhere that when installing the diff bearings, you should put a coat of oil on them and bake them in an oven for a bit. What kind of oil? Honda MTF I would assume?

Final question, where can I get the shims for the diff, and will I necessarily need them? Im very new at this and I havent been able to find a good manual anywhere. The Chilton manual I have is a POS.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
d series, d16z6, mini cooper, oil, transmission

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in