Transmission build - asking for details regarding 1.250 3rd to 4th - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Transmission alley

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2016, 08:04 AM   #1 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 15 curlybandit is a name known to allcurlybandit is a name known to allcurlybandit is a name known to allcurlybandit is a name known to allcurlybandit is a name known to allcurlybandit is a name known to allcurlybandit is a name known to allcurlybandit is a name known to allcurlybandit is a name known to allcurlybandit is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Transmission build - asking for details regarding 1.250 3rd to 4th

Hello everyone.

I'm in the process of preparing for a transmission build. I currently have a '93 del Sol with an S40B000 5-speed and Quaife LSD, all stock gears.

I've recently received an MFactory 0.565 3rd and I'm awaiting the 0.848 5th gear I just purchased.

My intention is to move stock 3rd to 4th. I'm actively looking for local shops that can do the service for me as I have neither the time nor the technical expertise to take apart and rebuild a transmission. I'll happily pay an expert for the service.

I want to make sure I understand what modifications to the stock 3rd gear are required to put in place of 4th. If I know, then I can be sure that the shop I go to knows what they are doing.

Transmission experts, please help educate me on the ways of d-series transmission modification, specifically what must be done to turn stock 3rd into 4th.

I'll continue researching in the meantime.

Thank you!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1993 Honda Civic del Sol Si.
The old: NA d16z6 - 158whp - RIP May 22, 2017 (dropped exhaust valve)
The new: OBD1 JDM GSR 1.8L DOHC VTEC - 198whp, 138wtrq, Integra Type-R S80 LSD transmission.
curlybandit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2016, 08:21 AM   #2 (permalink)

Rep Power: 27 Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!
Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 27 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Aquafina

Take 1mm off the collar on the OEM countershaft 3rd gear.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rocket Motorsports, MFactory, Torco, Action Clutch, HASport, Synchrotech, OS Giken, Gear-X, Wavetrac, Quaife
Official MFactory North American Installer

Aquafina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2016, 08:55 AM   #3 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 8 honduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatness

You should just send it out to Whoopee Doo and know its done right.
honduh666 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2016, 04:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

Rep Power: 50 slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to slo_eg8

Quote:
Originally Posted by honduh666 View Post
shhhh don't use logic, especially to support another member

*insert sarcasm font above*
koni yellow/gc coils
uber rare eg6 optional snowflakes

new 95 ej1.
slo_eg8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2016, 06:42 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 15 curlybandit is a name known to allcurlybandit is a name known to allcurlybandit is a name known to allcurlybandit is a name known to allcurlybandit is a name known to allcurlybandit is a name known to allcurlybandit is a name known to allcurlybandit is a name known to allcurlybandit is a name known to allcurlybandit is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquafina View Post
Take 1mm off the collar on the OEM countershaft 3rd gear.
As always, thanks for the education.

Quote:
Originally Posted by honduh666 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo_eg8 View Post
shhhh don't use logic, especially to support another member

*insert sarcasm font above*
Hey gents.

I'd love nothing more than to bring my business to a member of this forum, and one who is clearly exceptional at what they do. Unfortunately, I don't live anywhere close to Johnson City, TN. But I'm sure it would make for a lovely 11 hour and 38 minute drive. And well.... The current exchange rate is the sh!ttiest it's been for quite a while. The Canadian peso isn't what it used to be...

I'm fortunate to live where there are plenty of skilled technicians who can handle this specific service. Thanks to another member of DSO, I've found a local shop for just this purpose.

I'm more than happy to increase rep for Aquafina and recommend his services.

Keep an eye out for upcoming posts concerning the progress! I'm looking at late March, early April as the time to get the work done.

Thanks!

The new: OBD1 JDM GSR 1.8L DOHC VTEC - 198whp, 138wtrq, Integra Type-R S80 LSD transmission.
Old 02-16-2016, 09:21 PM   #6 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

There is a Honda engine builder in Toronto that could handle it, forget his name though, might have retired even.

Short drive across the 401 westward towards London and Jamie could handle the machining.

Just about anyone with a small lathe can handle it....

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2016, 07:07 AM   #7 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 12 bake82 is da #1 stunnabake82 is da #1 stunnabake82 is da #1 stunnabake82 is da #1 stunnabake82 is da #1 stunnabake82 is da #1 stunnabake82 is da #1 stunna
iTrader Score: 14 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by transzex View Post
There is a Honda engine builder in Toronto that could handle it, forget his name though, might have retired even.

Short drive across the 401 westward towards London and Jamie could handle the machining.

engine builder is probably Gord Bush

I set Jim up with a Transmission builder friend of mine that is in the area who has built a ton of D-series transmissions along with a number of custom stuff inside those transmissions for us circle track racers!
bake82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2016, 07:42 AM   #8 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Quote:

Thanks for the pic Bone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bake82 View Post
engine builder is probably Gord Bush

I set Jim up with a Transmission builder friend of mine that is in the area who has built a ton of D-series transmissions along with a number of custom stuff inside those transmissions for us circle track racers!
Thanks Kyle!!

You've been an INCREDIBLE help.

Last edited by curlybandit; 02-17-2016 at 07:53 AM.
Old 02-17-2016, 08:52 AM   #9 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Yep, Gordy Bush....

Quote:
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
Old 02-18-2016, 03:29 AM   #10 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 8 honduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatness

I was talking about shipping it to him. It cost me about $90 to ship a trans to Cali a few years ago, one way from pa. But I'd you found someone local than do that!
honduh666 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2016, 02:38 PM   #11 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 16 TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!
TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

Used a welding glove, a HF Micrometer, and a table sander.

No Shit, Worked Great. Even to <0.01mm

Good enough for me on a splined shaft.
TheToaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2016, 10:35 PM   #12 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

shakes head....

Find a cheap lathe....

Quote:
Old 02-19-2016, 03:04 AM   #13 (permalink)

Rep Power: 27 Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!
Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 27 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Aquafina

Wow.

Rocket Motorsports, MFactory, Torco, Action Clutch, HASport, Synchrotech, OS Giken, Gear-X, Wavetrac, Quaife
Official MFactory North American Installer

Aquafina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2016, 01:24 PM   #14 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 16 TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!
TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

Quote:
shakes head....

Find a cheap lathe....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquafina View Post
Wow.

I knew you two would love to hear about that.

After going to 4 shops who all pussed out, it had to get done somewhere!

"I cant mount that securely"

"That's case hardened steel"

"No"

"We don't do anything like that here, dont know where to suggest"

It was time to flex the D-series Spirit and solve it with some DIY.

Make sure to rotate it on the abrasive surface and watch the heat.
TheToaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2016, 01:33 PM   #15 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

It takes longer to chuck it up in a three jaw lathe than to do the cutting, under 10 minutes total time needed. Didn't even need ti change the tooling that was used to cut open torque convertors or the hubs on Miata wheels.

Quote:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in