Proper shift linkage re-manufacturing? - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Transmission alley

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2016, 11:36 PM   #1 (permalink)

Rep Power: 4 hondur is learning the way of the Dhondur is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Proper shift linkage re-manufacturing?

This is a parts diagram for a 1995 civic DX.

I noticed Honda does not have replacement parts for the u-joint on part 13, the "rod, change". I noticed hasport does, but they apparently don't sell them. They just use them to fulfill their life time warranties on their own shift linkages. Does anyone, any company or organization, sell proper parts to rebuild one of these u-joints? I've found a method to do so using washers, i'm not going to do that. I've found a method using "well nuts", courtesy of I CRX I on the EF civic forum, which i might just do but i'd rather not.

I left 14 in my car after pulling my motorset out, it got very bent as i pushed the car out of my garage and through my yard. Not only that, but the u-joint is incredibly worn out. So i went and bought a different shift linkage (both bars) from a guy i met on the internet, he told me $20 and i figured hell why not, then when i got there the u-joint was TOO TIGHT! He then offered me 50% off the product, so at least i can replace my bent piece.

Now i'm stuck with two u-joints that are both unacceptable. One that flops around like a donkey dick and one that's tighter than virgin pussy. I mean, it practically takes a pair of pliers just to move it.

I figure, i should be able to make it work with all of these junk parts. I figure, i should be able to do more than just make it work. I figure that I'll be able to make one that's like brand new. I just need those pesky parts.

Something like this, but less "random stuff" and more "these are the correct parts to re-manufacture a shift linkage".

So, where do i get em?
hondur is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2016, 03:47 AM   #2 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

Rep Power: 50 slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to slo_eg8

you mean these?

https://www.d-series.org/forums/diy-f...-99-lowes.html

https://www.d-series.org/forums/trans...-unijoint.html

https://www.d-series.org/forums/produ...t-linkage.html
koni yellow/gc coils
uber rare eg6 optional snowflakes

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

new 95 ej1.
slo_eg8 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2016, 06:05 PM   #3 (permalink)

Rep Power: 4 hondur is learning the way of the Dhondur is learning the way of the D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasport View Post
Hasport linkage repair kit is $14.95 plus shipping
Nah, i meant like this. I guess even though it's not listed on their website under shift linkages they still sell the kit. I'm gonna call them tomorrow and ask them some questions to make sure it has the stuff to fix the u-joint.

Those are some good links too, though. Better than what i had found lol.

Old 02-15-2016, 06:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

so you have a good one that needs to be lubed up.

heat it up with a torch, be careful not to melt anything.

get it working back and forth with a pair of welding gloves and/or pliers.

then let it cool off.

spray the absolute crap out of it with JB80.

when you got it moving smoothly, use some brake cleaner to remove any and all oils and greases, and hit it with a blast of white lithium grease in spray can form.

2003 Hyundai Sonata GLS 2.7 Delta 197k

1998 Cadillac Seville SLS just broke 100k
2001 civic LX coupe MTX 199k
Sometimes, the difficult path is the easiest path
D/B/F/H/K compression questions?

Build what you have!

mattliston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2016, 10:07 PM   #5 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 16 TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!
TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

Contact Hasport they sell the inserts, I got 2 sets.
TheToaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2016, 11:29 PM   #6 (permalink)

Wouldn't the parts inside of the linkage melt? I don't know how i could be careful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattliston View Post
so you have a good one that needs to be lubed up.

heat it up with a torch, be careful not to melt anything.

get it working back and forth with a pair of welding gloves and/or pliers.

then let it cool off.

spray the absolute crap out of it with JB80.

when you got it moving smoothly, use some brake cleaner to remove any and all oils and greases, and hit it with a blast of white lithium grease in spray can form.

Last edited by hondur; 02-15-2016 at 11:35 PM.
Old 02-15-2016, 11:42 PM   #7 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

Rep Power: 50 slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

find someone to machine you some delrin bushings
koni yellow/gc coils

new 95 ej1.
Old 02-15-2016, 11:53 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo_eg8 View Post
find someone to machine you some delrin bushings
I would machine a million of them and sell em on here if i could.
Old 02-16-2016, 12:03 AM   #9 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

itd be easier just to buy a no slop from rc or tinker with your own from lowes lol.
koni yellow/gc coils

new 95 ej1.
Old 02-17-2016, 09:13 PM   #10 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

of get some bronze bushings....

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2016, 09:14 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by transzex View Post
of get some bronze bushings....
I already ordered the parts from hasport, they didn't seem to have a lot of info on them. Can't even track my order actually. I'd be a lot happier if they just listed the part on their site.

Bone, i've got another question for you or i guess anyone. I pulled my trans case off to inspect the transmission internals since it sat outside for quite a while. Thankfully, there was a bit of oil in it so nothing rusted. The magnet was filled to the brim with crud so i cleaned that off. The bearings on the top seem to pass visual inspection, they're nice and tight. The one of the syncros has very, very slight signs of wear on some of the teeth.

The mainshaft wobbles a little bit though. I think i'll upload a short video so you can see what i'm talking about. Hopefully you can tell me if this is normal or a sign that the transmission is getting tired. when i pulled it out, it worked absolutely fine. No grinding, no noise, not even the slightest clutch problem.
Old 02-18-2016, 09:33 AM   #12 (permalink)

Rep Power: 29 Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Full_Tilt is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Im having trouble finding #8 and #11 in that diagram. Majectic Honda wont take my money with their piece of shit website.
Full_Tilt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2016, 09:35 AM   #13 (permalink)

https://youtu.be/rv73h6k34FU
Old 02-18-2016, 02:43 PM   #14 (permalink)

Rep Power: 16 TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!
TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

Replace the ISB, Thrust, and shim washers next to it.

Maybe even the big guy on the end, but probably not.
TheToaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2016, 07:23 PM   #15 (permalink)

I can't see myself putting money into this transmission. I was concerned with that shaft only because i'd begin looking for a new one if this one was in fact tired. It's a DX model transmission, i view this as the most inferior unit. It doesn't have good acceleration characteristics and it doesn't have the best fuel economy characteristics either.

I only took it apart because i was concerned with it being rusty from sitting outside. I guess i'll try to find one of them DOHC d series trans that people are always bragging about, or that crazy long geared one so i can get a million miles per gallon.

Thank you for the advice though.

Last edited by hondur; 02-18-2016 at 07:29 PM.
Old 02-18-2016, 11:00 PM   #16 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondur View Post
I already ordered the parts from hasport, they didn't seem to have a lot of info on them. Can't even track my order actually. I'd be a lot happier if they just listed the part on their site.

Bone, i've got another question for you or i guess anyone. I pulled my trans case off to inspect the transmission internals since it sat outside for quite a while. Thankfully, there was a bit of oil in it so nothing rusted. The magnet was filled to the brim with crud so i cleaned that off. The bearings on the top seem to pass visual inspection, they're nice and tight. The one of the syncros has very, very slight signs of wear on some of the teeth.

The mainshaft wobbles a little bit though. I think i'll upload a short video so you can see what i'm talking about. Hopefully you can tell me if this is normal or a sign that the transmission is getting tired. when i pulled it out, it worked absolutely fine. No grinding, no noise, not even the slightest clutch problem.
Debris on the magnets and your dick stick has some slop, Mrs ISB has some wear issues and needs a new poontang!

Pics (hosted elsewhere, like postimage.org) help A LOT!

Tossing in the new parts is easy, most don't clean like Chris @ WDR and I do, that part will come back to bite you in 10-20k miles.

Then again, the driver/owner issue. I have had quite a few (mostly B series) owners complain about grinds and blocked shifts when they drive their cars, but when I thrash on the cars and trans, it shifts "OK" considering the previous damage by owner driver. While the damage is done, my correct shift timing is just enough to avoid their blocked shifts. While I can manage the shifts with damage, the trans would still need $500 in parts to make it right.....and with rookie drivers, this would be EVERY event.

LeMons/Chump/SCCA/NASA keeps me busy

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2016, 04:44 AM   #17 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 13 hondanickx smells like Borathondanickx smells like Borathondanickx smells like Borathondanickx smells like Borathondanickx smells like Borathondanickx smells like Borat
iTrader Score: 12 reviews

Abbes-Performance.com

I tried this one since rover and honda shared a lot of the same parts in some cars.The bushes didn't had the same OD as honda has.The bracket almost fitted perfectly ,the holes where off 1mm and 2mm .I ended up welding the holes and drilling them in the correct spot and made my own bushes out of nylatron and aluminum.
hondanickx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in