LS Transmission Whining - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Transmission alley

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2016, 11:53 AM   #1 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 26 NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!
NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 51 reviews
Default LS Transmission Whining

I picked this transmission up, opened it up and metal chunks everywhere. a 10mm bolt found its way in. Took a few teeth out on the main gears. I replaced them. and a rough bearing on the differential. All the other bearings felt fine. I went through everything else and cleaned it all up. Got to drive it for the first time today and it whines like crazy after 1st gear. no matter if I push the clutch in, shift gears, or slow down. the pitch stays constant but gets higher/louder the faster I go. all the gears shift smooth no problem at all. It only goes away once I stop.

any thoughts? I'm leaning towards the other diff bearing that I didn't replace. Since if it were one of the shaft bearings it would go away once I push the clutch in right? or are both shafts spinning while the differential is spinning?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

NeonPinHead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2016, 12:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 16 reviews

All shafts are spinning any time the transmission is in gear regardless of whether the clutch is engaged.

Which gear was replaced? 1st?

snm95ls is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2016, 12:25 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 26 NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!
NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!

the main shaft and differential gear.

Old 01-09-2016, 12:59 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

JoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 5 reviews

Are you 100% sure it isnt the axles, wheel bearings or brakes?
Old 01-09-2016, 01:04 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series G0D

hmm... how could I tell? doesn't sound like a wheel bearing. or brakes squeaking.

Ill get a small vid up soon.

Old 01-09-2016, 01:07 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....

Yeah, a video would be really helpful. A whine that doesn't change pitch seems really odd especially if it is drivetrain related.

Old 01-09-2016, 02:49 PM   #7 (permalink)

Rep Power: 27 Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!
Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 27 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Aquafina

New or used? Shim clearance? What did the balls look like on all of the bearings? Everything properly cleaned?

Rocket Motorsports, MFactory, Torco, Action Clutch, HASport, Synchrotech, OS Giken, Gear-X, Wavetrac, Quaife
Official MFactory North American Installer

Aquafina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2016, 03:19 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Cleaned the crap out of it. Used same shims on differential. Used gears.

Old 01-09-2016, 03:32 PM   #9 (permalink)

Rep Power: 27 Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!
Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 27 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Aquafina

Gears should be new, not used unless you got the matching 1/2 countershaft gears. Mainshaft needs to be shimmed.

Rocket Motorsports, MFactory, Torco, Action Clutch, HASport, Synchrotech, OS Giken, Gear-X, Wavetrac, Quaife
Official MFactory North American Installer

Aquafina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2016, 04:02 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Old 01-09-2016, 04:04 PM   #11 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquafina View Post
Gears should be new, not used unless you got the matching 1/2 countershaft gears. Mainshaft needs to be shimmed.

What gears should be new?

I might just pick up an em1 trans for $150 with a bad 2nd gear synchro.

Old 01-09-2016, 04:08 PM   #12 (permalink)
D-series G0D

If i use a used main shaft i need the 1st and second gear sets from the same trans the mainshaft came in?

Old 01-09-2016, 04:22 PM   #13 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

JoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcano

God I would hate a b16 tranny with an LS in a street car.

I have a hydro b16 1-4th with a 4.266 final and I still feel like the gears are crazy close together for daily driving, even with my 9.2k limiter. I honestly think I would be happier with a good condition hydro LS tranny in my CRX.

But my car is pretty stripped, with a heavier car the shorter gears make more sense.
Old 01-09-2016, 04:28 PM   #14 (permalink)
D-series G0D

I will just be driving it around town so no biggie. Better than hearing that god awful whining

Old 01-09-2016, 05:01 PM   #15 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Yea, its not the highway stuff, I have an LS 5th, but when I am just casually accelerating I row through the first 4 gears to cruise at 35-40 mph, it just kinda feels silly.
Old 01-09-2016, 05:21 PM   #16 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

That sounds like it is diff or countershaft related to me. The lack of change in noise between drive and coast also leads me to think that it is probably a bearing.

Probably wrong though.

Old 01-09-2016, 05:47 PM   #17 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Quote:
Originally Posted by snm95ls View Post
That sounds like it is diff or countershaft related to me. The lack of change in noise between drive and coast also leads me to think that it is probably a bearing.

Probably wrong though.
countershaft how?

Old 01-09-2016, 06:35 PM   #18 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

list all you did, with details.

BTW, "bad synchros" start at $500 in parts to fix on B's because to hurt the synchros you have to fuck up a bunch of other shit first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2016, 06:41 PM   #19 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeonPinHead View Post
countershaft how?
How? Because the countershaft and differential are constantly meshed with each other and share a constant speed relationship.

The mainshaft speed changes with engine speed and that sound does not appear to do so.

Did you pull and inspect the clutch housing side CS roller bearing? There can easily be debris trapped in there if you did not do so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by transzex View Post

BTW, "bad synchros" start at $500 in parts to fix on B's because to hurt the synchros you have to fuck up a bunch of other shit first.
Truth. Even so, that is a good price on an S4C ASSuming it isn't thoroughly trashed.

Old 01-09-2016, 06:53 PM   #20 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

CSB, inner or both outers could be whining as well as either diff bearing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in