Is this gear junk? - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Transmission alley

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2015, 09:11 AM   #1 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 9 v4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Default Is this gear junk?

Pulled apart a transmission that "only popped out of third sometimes" and found almost every bearing wasted. Started cleaning and found pitting on several gears.

In leaning towards not using the gears that look line the attachment...just keep stuff as emergency spares and rebuild a different transmission...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20151115_120710_HDR.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	901.3 KB
ID:	98458  
v4lu3s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2015, 09:15 AM   #2 (permalink)
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11

Rep Power: 28 shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....
shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to shoebox_civic

that gear is going to be weakened from all those defects, they're a perfect place for stress cracks to originate
90 Skyline GT-R - HKS Drager exhaust, RSR downpipe, metal wheel turbos
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
shoebox_civic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2015, 09:35 AM   #3 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 9 v4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to all

kind of what i was figuring. At first i was mad...but i got the transmission, a lightweight flywheel that was almost brand new, an exedy oem clutch and extra shift linkage all for $50.

i am betting the gears in my 305k mile original transmission look better...and unfortunately that gear is not the only one, just one that took the best pic.

Old 11-15-2015, 10:23 AM   #4 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 7 Sac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow up
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Just in case you do want to keep them around you can get it baked or cleaned at your local machine shop. They might even be able to tell you if it's worth it beforehand. Just an idea before you use them as paper weights only.
Sac*HXy5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2015, 10:27 AM   #5 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sac*HXy5 View Post
Just in case you do want to keep them around you can get it baked or cleaned at your local machine shop. They might even be able to tell you if it's worth it beforehand. Just an idea before you use them as paper weights only.
not a bad idea. I might just swing down there and ask.
Old 11-15-2015, 10:44 AM   #6 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 7 Sac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow up

Worst they can say is they are junk. Haha good luck.
Sac*HXy5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2015, 11:20 AM   #7 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

Junk the shafts, might be able to save the pinion and ring gear....but junk everything else.

the case and forks might be saved......I have quite a few empty core cases because of this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2015, 11:44 AM   #8 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

The case looks pretty good. the ISB, and the roller bearing in the case were shot. And by shot i mean shot all over the place. I did notice galling on the end of the input shaft where the bearing sit. I have not looked closely at the ring and pinion, though I recall one of the diff bearings showed a lot of wear on the balls.

oh well at least it makes a good practice assembly unit to get used to how to do it lol
Old 11-15-2015, 04:54 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

so i tore the 305k mile trans down. everything looks pristine except for the rounded brass syncro rings. bearings even look great, but i am going to change them all anyway since im in there. Will pull the crappy trans with the mfactory lsd and put it in this one in a few weeks and be happy with the original transmission and then have two spares....hopefully the one that came with the lsd isnt messed up badly....
Old 11-15-2015, 07:47 PM   #10 (permalink)

Rep Power: 27 Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!
Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 27 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Aquafina

It is junk.

Rocket Motorsports, MFactory, Torco, Action Clutch, HASport, Synchrotech, OS Giken, Gear-X, Wavetrac, Quaife
Official MFactory North American Installer

Aquafina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2015, 01:07 AM   #11 (permalink)
lex
D-series lover

Rep Power: 13 lex smells like Boratlex smells like Boratlex smells like Boratlex smells like Boratlex smells like Boratlex smells like Borat

Good cores for old Beetle gearing swap.
Maybe a bit backyard engineering but 1.47, 1.6 & 1.74 ratios at least available.

Old 11-16-2015, 03:25 PM   #12 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by lex View Post
Good cores for old Beetle gearing swap.
Maybe a bit backyard engineering but 1.47, 1.6 & 1.74 ratios at least available.

lol
makes me want to get another one. my second car was a 68 ghia and my next was a 69 bug. both had custom paint, custom seats, custom interior, and mild engine mods. tins of fun and easy to work on.
Old 11-17-2015, 11:05 PM   #13 (permalink)
lex
D-series lover

Rep Power: 13 lex smells like Boratlex smells like Boratlex smells like Boratlex smells like Boratlex smells like Boratlex smells like Borat

I ment using the VW gear ratios in d-series transmission.
VW Beetle main and counter shafts have same spacing as d-series.
Just have to weld the VW "gear ring" to machined d-series gear core.
Old 11-18-2015, 09:05 AM   #14 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by lex View Post
I ment using the VW gear ratios in d-series transmission.
VW Beetle main and counter shafts have same spacing as d-series.
Just have to weld the VW "gear ring" to machined d-series gear core.
no kidding. thats wild...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in