Just replaced clutch.. Weird hissing sound when engaging?? - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Transmission alley

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2015, 01:21 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series lover

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Default Just replaced clutch.. Weird hissing/grinding sound when engaging??

Good afternoon,

Just finished installing an Exedy Stage II clutch assy. on my 1999 civic EX coupe. 224k miles.

New parts: Clutch, pressure plate, flywheel, pilot bearing, throwout bearing

Everything was lubricated correctly and installed/torqued correctly (that I know of).

When driving the car today for the first time since I finished the install this weekend, there is a weird noise, almost like a hissing/grinding sound, and it occurs ONLY as I release the clutch pedal (engagement). If I release the clutch pedal rather quickly, the sound appears quickly and then disappears. As I engage first gear (longer engagement time than most other gears) the sound lasts longer through the engagement.

No other adverse driving effects, new clutch grabs nicely, clutch pedal feels great, etc.

To be clear, there is no noise with the clutch is fully engaged, or disengaged. Only during engagement. It makes no noise when I press the pedal down, only as I release the pedal. I can feel it in the pedal as well as the sound is being generated.

Note. I did install a fidanza light-weight flywheel along with the new clutch assembly. Maybe the sound is just the new clutch engaging with the flywheel?

Thanks!
2002 C5 Z06 (Built for Road Racing)
1999 Grand Prix GTP (Built and self tuned on E85)
1998 & 1999 Grand Prix GTPs
2012 Civic SI
2000 Civic EX

My E85 Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by 97AutoXVette; 10-11-2015 at 03:40 PM.
97AutoXVette is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2015, 04:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-series lover

A few pics

Old clutch assy:

New Exedy clutch disk:

New Fidanza aluminum flywheel being installed:

New clutch assy. installation complete:

2012 Civic SI
2000 Civic EX

My E85 Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-11-2015, 06:19 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 25 xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

Does it do it with the car off?

More or less its the throw out bearing.
I know you said its new, hut thats what i have always had cause this noise.

But give it a few miles and see if the noise dies down.

. RIP

xile6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2015, 07:03 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

is that paint on the flywheel? Are you sure it is a true fidanza?

Maybe the hissing sound is the paint being scorched off, if it indeed is paint.

I havent ever seen a fidanza friction surface that was green.

2003 Hyundai Sonata GLS 2.7 Delta 197k

1998 Cadillac Seville SLS just broke 100k
2001 civic LX coupe MTX 199k
Sometimes, the difficult path is the easiest path
D/B/F/H/K compression questions?

Build what you have!

mattliston is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2015, 07:54 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series lover

I did some more research and found this from Fidanza:

http://www.fidanza.com/wp-content/up...ROTECTION-.pdf

I guess the sound likely is in fact that coating. I researched quite a bit more and went for a long drive. throwout bearing seems fine and the sound only comes from the clutch engaging. I bet it is just that green protective coating being worn away since I have only driven the car about 50 miles or so since the install.

Will keep you guys posted.
2012 Civic SI
2000 Civic EX

My E85 Thread:
Old 10-11-2015, 09:09 PM   #6 (permalink)
TnT
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

I think your hearing the actual disk material making noise as it slips........I put a new comp clutch in with a lightweight flywheel and it sounds like sandpaper on metal when you slip it on initial engagement.
TnT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2015, 05:11 AM   #7 (permalink)
D-series lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnT View Post
I think your hearing the actual disk material making noise as it slips........I put a new comp clutch in with a lightweight flywheel and it sounds like sandpaper on metal when you slip it on initial engagement.

"sandpaper" sound is actually a much better way to describe what I am hearing. And I agree, I think it is just the clutch slip on the flywheel that I am hearing upon initial engagement. I left off the dust cover for now as well which will expose more noise than normal (was a huge pain trying to re-install it so I just left it off).
2012 Civic SI
2000 Civic EX

My E85 Thread:
Old 10-12-2015, 05:38 AM   #8 (permalink)
\/Your Mom Was Here\/

Rep Power: 54 BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 11 reviews

I had a very similar noise on my Supra when I installed my new clutch and flywheel. It sounded like sandpaper for the first couple of uses.

2005 Civic EX Sedan (ES2)

You will be missed but not forgotten.

Quote:
I actually jerk off to my rep points, neg rep makes me thumb my bung, what now brown cow? I finished twice.
BeerDrinkin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2015, 07:18 AM   #9 (permalink)
TnT
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

I've got 2,500 hard miles on my stage 3.5 comp clutch and it still sounds like "sandpaper"
TnT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2015, 11:37 AM   #10 (permalink)
D-series G0D

BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 78 reviews

Thanks for posting that link to the coating because my initial thought was, were you not supposed to remove that green stuff on the FW before installation? LOL!
BLK92_D16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2015, 11:56 AM   #11 (permalink)
\/Your Mom Was Here\/

Rep Power: 54 BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 11 reviews

I bet it is something to help the clutch break in or something. The screws aren't covered in it.

2005 Civic EX Sedan (ES2)

You will be missed but not forgotten.

Quote:
I actually jerk off to my rep points, neg rep makes me thumb my bung, what now brown cow? I finished twice.
BeerDrinkin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2015, 01:39 PM   #12 (permalink)
D-series lover

haha, I got super nervous as well wondering if I should have tried to remove that green coating. Fidanza says that it's there to help protect the metal surface of the flywheel and that the green coating just burns away after some initial breaking in of the clutch. So I think I am good to go. Sounds like they just introduced the coating back in March of this year.
2012 Civic SI
2000 Civic EX

My E85 Thread:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in