bench test a transmission - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Transmission alley

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2015, 01:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 9 v4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Default bench test a transmission

I am going to buy a 1990 CRX si transmission tomorrow. The seller endurance races, upgraded to a b16a, and is selling the trans.

He says it was rebuilt 1200 miles ago, only been driven on the track, had new bearings, seals, synchros and an Mfactory lsd put into it. Also has axles, clutch and flywheel with it.

I have never bought a transmission that was working from someone I did not personally know, usually bought from unknowns as cores...

aside from putting a screw driver in the shifter rod and cycling through the gears is there anything else I should look for?
v4lu3s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2015, 01:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 26 NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!
NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 51 reviews

Just crack it open not too difficult. That way you know exactly whats up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

NeonPinHead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2015, 02:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 9 v4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to all

I may not have time to open and close it as I am picking it up on a guys lunch break. I have to pick it up then to hide it from my wife....

if time allows though I am going to do that. The price is such that it is going to move fast if I dont grab it asap.

Last edited by v4lu3s; 09-22-2015 at 02:04 PM.

Old 09-22-2015, 03:20 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 26 NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!
NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 51 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by v4lu3s View Post
I may not have time to open and close it as I am picking it up on a guys lunch break. I have to pick it up then to hide it from my wife....

if time allows though I am going to do that. The price is such that it is going to move fast if I dont grab it asap.

Your money. Gamble as you see fit.

Without opening it there is little you can tell. Take a flashlight and look inside the drain bolt hole for debris. Wiggle the main shaft looking for play.

NeonPinHead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2015, 03:26 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

remove the drain plug and see if any material is on it.

bring the correct socket for the reverse switch, and a 10mm for removing the VSS.

plenty of spots to look inside.

The obvious check is the shaft play.

2003 Hyundai Sonata GLS 2.7 Delta 197k

1998 Cadillac Seville SLS just broke 100k
2001 civic LX coupe MTX 199k
Sometimes, the difficult path is the easiest path
D/B/F/H/K compression questions?

Build what you have!

mattliston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2015, 04:46 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Cool thanks for the pointers. I have a good pick and pull tool kit that has all those tools...

This is the only transmission I have/will buy that I intend to actually use right away that is NOT from a trusted source. In the past it's always been from junkyards that our business had done business with for years, or from friends who sold the transmission while it was still in the car.

The price on this is well below the cost of LSD alone so its not the kind of deal I am going to just walk away from...
Old 09-22-2015, 09:06 PM   #7 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

Is the sellers name Steve?

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2015, 01:29 AM   #8 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Dane is the seller's name.
The information I have...he ran a d16z6 with this transmission for endurance racing and used a stock flywheel and oem replacement clutches. Says it was from a 1991 Si as it has the shorter gearing.
He was having issues with rod bearing failure on the z6, decided to go with a b16a instead. He says he has rebuilt several D series transmissions as well as t5, t56, andrx7 transmissions over the past 15 years. He mentioned use of dail indicators and inch/lb wrenches to set proper clearances and lash. And like most of us he feels he isnt a hack job type of guy...
Old 09-23-2015, 07:39 AM   #9 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

Weirdly, I have a repeat customer, road racer that dropped out his SOHC swap for B16 swap that he got cheap, longshot it would be the same guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2015, 07:41 AM   #10 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Might explain why he is letting the trans go so cheap.
Old 09-23-2015, 09:46 AM   #11 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

I picked up the transmission the it is very clean from what I could see through the various holes

The seller stated several bearings all synchros and seals have been replaced along with a number 3 shift fork at the time the LSD was installed

I guess it's time to pick up some torco and plan a day to install

He also threw in a very nicely coated valve cover which works well since I'm about to put the new cam in
Old 09-23-2015, 10:12 AM   #12 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

He also had a Canton oil pans for the d series if anyones looking

Oh yeah.
I paid $500. Got 3 axles, flywheel, clutch that looks brand new, the rebuilt trans with mfactory diff, and a Polydyn coated valve cover.

Last edited by v4lu3s; 09-23-2015 at 11:03 AM.
Old 09-23-2015, 11:40 AM   #13 (permalink)
D-series G0D

BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 78 reviews

Nice score if its not been beat all to hell.

Take pics if you venture inside the trans. I assume you know how to check to see where the trans truly has an LSD from the outside?
BLK92_D16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2015, 11:44 AM   #14 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Definitely an lsd. And unless obx changed their materials its not one of theirs. Oil was super clean as well.
Old 09-23-2015, 06:52 PM   #15 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

Sounds like you scored well. Most of the honda racers take pretty good care of their stuff, and are on short interval fluid changes to keep things healthy

2003 Hyundai Sonata GLS 2.7 Delta 197k

1998 Cadillac Seville SLS just broke 100k
2001 civic LX coupe MTX 199k
Sometimes, the difficult path is the easiest path
D/B/F/H/K compression questions?

Build what you have!

mattliston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2015, 07:12 PM   #16 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

It seems that way so far. It was still full of fluid, and it was clean. They had multiple engines they had blown up bearings on in the shop, as well as a nice rx7. Their team is the Jersey Village Idiots and they started racing lemons and chump cars a few years ago and are still figuring out the endurance thing. I feel good about it, but ultimately until i crack the case I'm not holding my breath.
Old 09-24-2015, 12:16 PM   #17 (permalink)
D-series G0D

BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 78 reviews

I had also purchased a good, used LSD (Quaife) from a local Honda racer. The cool part was that he had the original invoice from where he had purchased it from the Ohio Honda plant through the factory Honda Racing team. Used it in my drag trans and it was flawless. Sold the trans to a local, and he sold it soon after. Kinda lost track of it; hope someone here ended up with it.
BLK92_D16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2015, 02:38 PM   #18 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLK92_D16 View Post
I had also purchased a good, used LSD (Quaife) from a local Honda racer. The cool part was that he had the original invoice from where he had purchased it from the Ohio Honda plant through the factory Honda Racing team. Used it in my drag trans and it was flawless. Sold the trans to a local, and he sold it soon after. Kinda lost track of it; hope someone here ended up with it.
Man I wish I had that much luck. As best I can tell the transmission has had about 18 hours on since rebuild, and the seller was a member of a race team that has visible online results going back to at least 2012, I also met him at his garage where they had not only the race car stored but several other sporty cars. I cannot see myself selling the transmission though, this car is my daily, and honestly I love it. I wanted a CRX when I was in high school, this model came out as I entered high school and it took me this long to find one that I could afford, and had the money to do it right.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in