Clutch issues when car warms up - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Transmission alley

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2015, 09:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Clutch issues when car warms up

Ok guys, so I need some help. I've got a '90 civic wagon dx, so it's fwd. I've had the car for about a year now and have been battling clutch issues since I bought it.

The problem is I can get in my car to go to work after it's been sitting all night and my clutch will be fine. My commute to work is about 35 miles one way. I can get off of the exit for work and when I hit the light my car doesn't want to go into gear. So I have to drive it a few blocks without a clutch. I'll park it for work and come out at the end of my shift and my clutch will work fine again. Then I'll get off the exit to go home and the same thing happens again. Next morning get in it and the cycle starts again.

Now I know that the "EF" chassis is notorious for breaking clutch pedals so naturally that was the first thing that I checked. I crawled under the dash and checked it out. The pedal looks like it's already been reinforced and when I push it in it looks as if the pedal is going straight in and straight out. I've read that when it breaks the pedal, or bracket, will bend and the pedal will kind of go in sideways in a way. However, the pedal does creak when pushed in which I've also read is a sign that it's broken.

Next step was to replace the clutch cable. With it being a metal braided cable I didn't see how it could stretch but I replaced it anyway. It fixed my issue for about a week and then everyday I would have to tighten the cable until eventually I started having the same symptoms I was having before. I even tried a DA clutch cable which is a tad shorter, but to no avail.

I had purchased an Si trans to replace the stupid long gears in my dx trans. When we put the new trans in I noticed that there was an aftermarket clutch on the car. It looked pretty new from what I could tell and I don't remember the brand of it but it wasn't anything I've ever heard of before. It looked fine though so we threw it back in and kept going.

Now I haven't had a chance to dig much deeper into my issue yet because I've been working quite a bit. But on thursday I plan to pull the pedals out of the car and kinda go from there.

So here's my question.
Is there any way that it could be a bearing in my transmission making it act like this? It almost seems like I drive the car and a throwout or release bearing gets hot and won't let the clutch function properly. Then when the car sits and it all cools down it works properly again. Or it could be my pedal bending and not pulling the clutch cable out enough, but I would think if that were the case then it wouldn't go back to working after it sat for a while. I wouldn't think that metal would bend and then bend back to where it was after sitting.

So please, any help is greatly appreciated and I will update with pictures as soon as I pull the pedals.
perfourmance is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2015, 10:59 PM   #2 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

Rep Power: 50 slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to slo_eg8

could be a shitty clutch or throw out or broken pivot or cable mount flex
koni yellow/gc coils
uber rare eg6 optional snowflakes

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

new 95 ej1.
slo_eg8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in