Road race transmission build - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Transmission alley

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2015, 05:45 PM   #1 (permalink)

Rep Power: 5 Iagreen is starting to learn the ropesIagreen is starting to learn the ropesIagreen is starting to learn the ropesIagreen is starting to learn the ropesIagreen is starting to learn the ropesIagreen is starting to learn the ropes
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Road race transmission build

It's halfway through the race season so it's time to plan the winter build. I've decided the west coast tracks need the ability to go down to 2nd gear for tight corners. That or the engine now makes enough power that I can tell when I'm lugging it in 3rd. Either way I'm losing time and distance to the competition coming out of the tight slow corners. (Approx 45mph in 3rd)

The rules allow any synchronized transmission with any gear ratios and final drive with a 2.5% weight penalty. 48lbs for the crx.

The crx's L3 transmission has a fragile die cast 1-2 shift fork, and I'm still improving my shift quality, so I've already had problems. Back in the day I did bend a 1-2 on my autocross '97 civic. Looking over the specs I'd rather bend a steel s40 1-2 than snap an aluminum L3 or p20 1-2 fork.

Here's the build I'm thinking:
-innovative mounts for the hydro trans in the crx including the cable adapter.
-later (1 year?) the cable adapter will be replaced with a full tilton pedal assy and hydro clutch activation when I redo the brake controls.
-s40 EX case (40mm bearings)
-s40 EX 3rd gear in place of 4th
-s40 DX 2nd gear and 4.0 FD
-mfactory 3rd and 5th (yes I've calced gear splits)
-Quaife out of my L3 Si (40mm bearings)
-later I may play with clutch type LSD's
-syncrotech rebuild kit

This should give about 70mph in 2nd with close splits up to a 125mph top end. (7400 rpm limiter)

Thoughts?
Iagreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2015, 09:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

Will still end up replacing 3-4 sleeves and shifter forks due to wear. The S40 forks wear faster, but they don't break.

Find out who owns this Tipple/Newcomb tranny I built....

or talk to Fred about his CRX tranny.

You will find the 1.782 second will be too close to the MF 1.565 3rd, I prefer about .30-.35 ratio splits on 2-3 and 3-4...Also use a CRX 1.259 third gear, will only need one machine step instead of two.

For example, a future FP build

1.65 (HF)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2015, 10:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 6 Kevinio smells like BoratKevinio smells like BoratKevinio smells like BoratKevinio smells like BoratKevinio smells like Borat

Yea, the 2nd gear will be to close to the MFactory 3rd, like transzex already said. I think the 1.9 2nd is already to close.
Kevinio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2015, 04:39 AM   #4 (permalink)

Rep Power: 5 Iagreen is starting to learn the ropesIagreen is starting to learn the ropesIagreen is starting to learn the ropesIagreen is starting to learn the ropesIagreen is starting to learn the ropesIagreen is starting to learn the ropes

Thanks for the input. I'll look at the splits again. The DX 2nd looked like an easy one to source and I am just looking to fill a hole in the odd once per lap dead spot.

I have plenty of crx 3rds. Is there info out there (specs?) on the machining that needs done or do I need to wait till I get both gears to figure it out?
Old 07-15-2015, 06:26 AM   #5 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 21 cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!
cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 16 reviews

It's on the forum here. Just need to search for it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
cyanide is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2015, 10:55 AM   #6 (permalink)
D-series G0D

BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 78 reviews

Bone, do you still recommend the cast forks over the steel due to breaking one vs bending one does overall less damage to the other components? Might be worth it if spending thousands on your internal trans components.
BLK92_D16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2015, 11:29 AM   #7 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

A toss up to me, but the cast forks are no longer available, Aquafina might know better on the 96-00 parts supply.

Reminds me, I need to find a few old 3-4 forks to send out to see if viable to make them.

I'd rather be at WMHM to meet him though...

Quote:
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
Old 07-15-2015, 05:59 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

JoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 5 reviews

D2B?

Also as a side note to NOT get that innovative cable to hydro adapter, that whole idea is garbage. Even bleeding the shit out of it and adjusting it with a new cable it was still garbage and BARELY driveable with a street car trying to shift slow and smooth. For a race car 100% no.

I have a DIY up for how I mounted a 92+ civic CMC on my CRX, it works WAY better than that garbage.
Old 07-16-2015, 06:09 PM   #9 (permalink)

I've looked a little for the machining. I'll spend some more time on it.

Thanks for the info on the cable adapter. I put that up to see if there were complaints. May just have to do the tilton assy. Or the hush one season then sell it when I do the tilton.

I thought about D2B and then I could drop $7k on a sweet dog gear set. But that's all over kill right now.
Old 07-16-2015, 06:28 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

JoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 5 reviews

This isnt perfect yet, I want to shim the CMC out at least 1/4" and still want to make a brace for it, but even as is it works great:

https://www.d-series.org/forums/diy-f...onversion.html
Old 07-16-2015, 08:28 PM   #11 (permalink)

Thanks! Good brain candy
Old 07-24-2015, 07:43 AM   #12 (permalink)

Rep Power: 27 Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!
Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 27 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Aquafina

If you use the 1.781 2nd, the shortest 3rd you'll want is the 1.346. 1.565 is too small of an RPM drop to give any decent speed gain before shifting to 4th. If you're bending steel forks, you're doing something very wrong.

Rocket Motorsports, MFactory, Torco, Action Clutch, HASport, Synchrotech, OS Giken, Gear-X, Wavetrac, Quaife
Official MFactory North American Installer

Aquafina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2015, 08:29 AM   #13 (permalink)
\/Your Mom Was Here\/

Rep Power: 54 BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 11 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iagreen View Post
I've looked a little for the machining. I'll spend some more time on it.
The pics are dead but the info lives on:

https://www.d-series.org/forums/trans...d-answers.html

2005 Civic EX Sedan (ES2)

You will be missed but not forgotten.

Quote:
I actually jerk off to my rep points, neg rep makes me thumb my bung, what now brown cow? I finished twice.
BeerDrinkin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2015, 09:13 AM   #14 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 21 cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!
cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 16 reviews

Try this?
bensebuilt

Bense is love, Bense is life.

PS: Fuck photobucket. Shittiest image hosting service ever.

Last edited by cyanide; 07-24-2015 at 09:16 AM.
cyanide is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2015, 10:34 AM   #15 (permalink)
\/Your Mom Was Here\/

Rep Power: 54 BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 11 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyanide View Post
Try this?
bensebuilt

Bense is love, Bense is life.

PS: Fuck photobucket. Shittiest image hosting service ever.
Yeah, I host all my images here. Only this place can cause them to be lost, I won't ever delete them.

2005 Civic EX Sedan (ES2)

You will be missed but not forgotten.

Quote:
I actually jerk off to my rep points, neg rep makes me thumb my bung, what now brown cow? I finished twice.
BeerDrinkin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2015, 01:40 PM   #16 (permalink)

Rep Power: 27 Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!
Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!

Bense didn't know about machining the OEM 3rd when using it as 4th. He also isn't experienced with real world gearing setups and actually did a lot of stuff wrong when assembling transmissions.

Rocket Motorsports, MFactory, Torco, Action Clutch, HASport, Synchrotech, OS Giken, Gear-X, Wavetrac, Quaife

Old 07-25-2015, 12:47 PM   #17 (permalink)
Classic Man

Rep Power: 59 FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerDrinkin View Post
The pics are dead but the info lives on:

https://www.d-series.org/forums/trans...d-answers.html

I uploaded a picture back into the thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Ford
Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.
FarmerD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2015, 02:30 PM   #18 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 16 TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!
TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

Last edited by transzex; 07-28-2015 at 12:20 PM.
TheToaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2015, 09:32 AM   #19 (permalink)

Sorry you feel the telling the truth is talking down. I'm not going to keep my mouth shut so I can appear like a nice guy. I've shared more trans technical info on here than anyone else. Most of the stuff you regurgitate (incorrectly most of the time) is stuff I originally posted.

I have several trans parts sitting here that were purchased from Bense, that are unusable because of stuff he did wrong and didn't feel the need to disclose before selling. He also only ever ran three different gearing setups and none of them on a road course, which is what this thread is about. I've run every gearing combo possible (except for a few, which would cause the engine to over rev on upshifts), and all of them were run on road courses.

The Y8 trans isn't stronger than the Z6 aside from the shift forks.

My name is Chris, write that down.

Old 07-27-2015, 10:24 AM   #20 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheToaster View Post
That being said the Y8 trans is better mathematically and strength wise. They tried to make it more B series-esque.
.009 is not enough to even be noticeable, 1.900 Z6 vs 1.909 Y8 2nds.

Other weak point on 96-00 shift forks, only forks I've had this happen....and more than once.

Quote:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in