Found a spring. Is this from the transmission? - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Transmission alley

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2015, 10:59 AM   #1 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 21 cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!
cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 16 reviews
Default Found a spring. Is this from the transmission?

L3 tranny. Rebuilt it recently, went well. Everything spins nice and smooth. Shifts into all gears too, with/without spinning the input shaft.

And then I saw this on my table:

I'm pretty sure it looks like the spring that goes under/over the tiny ball; though I don't remember leaving them out obviously.

Length of the spring is 22.x mm and OD is 5.x mm.

Put my out of my misery and tell me whether this is from the transmission or not.

And just to clarify, this is either from the shift arm shaft or the shift rod, right? Because I only remember ending up with 2 springs and balls when I opened up the tranny.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
cyanide is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2015, 11:15 AM   #2 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 44 Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

Looks small enough for a shift fork spring, or 5th detent spring. #13, and #40, Bone might know by measurement.

http://repairguide.autozone.com/znet...5280061b69.gif

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
They stop laughing at your piece of shit when they can only see it through your dust.
R.I.P. - NN4S
R.I.P. - Cali Noob

You guys are gone but never forgotten, we live each day to the fullest for you, who cannot see the new day we often forget is amazing.

xbox gamer tag: angeloah
Whoshot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2015, 11:17 AM   #3 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 21 cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!
cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!

I didn't even take the shift forks apart. If the spring is from the shift fork and it has a ball too, then I guess I'm up shit creek because I haven't found a ball. Waiting for Bone to reply; I guess the tranny is coming apart anyways. FFS.

Old 07-06-2015, 11:20 AM   #4 (permalink)

Rep Power: 44 Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Look at this thread rebuilding a z6 might not work the same for you, section 2 4th pic, might be what you feared. My last post was before I found more pics.

DIY: Transmission Rebuild (89pics!)

Quote:
They stop laughing at your piece of shit when they can only see it through your dust.
R.I.P. - NN4S
R.I.P. - Cali Noob

You guys are gone but never forgotten, we live each day to the fullest for you, who cannot see the new day we often forget is amazing.

Old 07-06-2015, 11:22 AM   #5 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Yeah that's the guide I used along with the service manual to do the assembly. It was the shift arm rod that was a bitch to put together (ball on top).

Old 07-06-2015, 12:16 PM   #6 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

Rep Power: 50 slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to slo_eg8

what if its a pen spring? wouldn't that just suck?
koni yellow/gc coils
uber rare eg6 optional snowflakes

new 95 ej1.
slo_eg8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2015, 12:38 PM   #7 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

That belongs inside somewhere.....but where???

Did you pull both shift shafts out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2015, 12:59 PM   #8 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

22.4-22.6mm, stiffy spring, is for the shift shaft rod that exits the back of the transmission.

under the bolt the socket is on in this pic....

Quote:
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
Old 07-07-2015, 02:29 AM   #9 (permalink)
Meat Popsicle

Rep Power: 28 Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 14 reviews

They always include spare parts inside those transmissions

R.I.P. Pat Primmer
Paterico is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2015, 05:53 AM   #10 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

LOL. Like the time they included spare pistons in some Honda engines?

Opening up the tranny again tonight. Lets hope I haven't lost my balls.

Old 07-07-2015, 07:15 AM   #11 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 24 HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!
HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

K20 trans should have spare parts inside them. Considering the cars come with spare tires yet blow trannies more often...

HiProfile is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2015, 10:29 AM   #12 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Just opened the tranny. The spring isn't from the shift arms, either of them. Bone, the one you suggested is a bit thicker than the one I've got in my hand here.

So I guess that just leaves the shift forks? Or could it have come from anywhere else within the tranny?

Edit: The shift fork that goes on the countershaft is moving without any resistance or clicking. Maybe I've found the culprit? I can see detents on the shaft but the fork won't click; it just moves freely.

Last edited by cyanide; 07-07-2015 at 11:11 AM.
Old 07-07-2015, 11:44 AM   #13 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Now this is just fucked. All 3 forks have their balls and springs intact. So after a crash course in driving out spring pins and inserting shafts into holes while holding the balls down, I'm stuck with a spring that seems to have no home.

So this rules out both the shift arms and all the shift forks. Any bright ideas?

Old 07-07-2015, 12:21 PM   #14 (permalink)

The only one I can find that is near the measurement provided is in this pic. (Spring - L 21.4mm) middle of pic.

It is too the left of the one bone mentioned above.

Quote:
R.I.P. - NN4S
R.I.P. - Cali Noob

Old 07-07-2015, 09:57 PM   #15 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

That's not an L3 tranny though. I measured the spring out of an L3 I had on the bench awaiting to be cleaned.

Quote:
Old 07-07-2015, 10:23 PM   #16 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

So I guess it's just a pen spring? FFS.

Old 07-07-2015, 10:38 PM   #17 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

Rep Power: 50 slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to slo_eg8

if it is, I was totally being sarcastic
like this scene

Janitor: The door is broke. Maybe the fifth time or so. It don’t open.
J.D.: Maybe there’s a penny stuck in there?
Janitor: Why a penny?
J.D.: I don’t know.
Janitor: Did you stick a penny in there?
J.D.: No. I was, I was just making small talk.
Janitor: If I find a penny in there, I’m taking you down
koni yellow/gc coils
uber rare eg6 optional snowflakes

new 95 ej1.
slo_eg8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2015, 10:40 PM   #18 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

The pen thing was a joke anyways. It's way too beefy to be from a pen. But I guess I'll just find out one day where the goddamn spring came from. Had to open the whole tranny and bust my finger for nothing.

Old 07-07-2015, 11:36 PM   #19 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

As to why there are different spring lengths listed for the shift rod, I"ve never noticed a difference. I do have a parts tray FULL of the various springs that I have salvaged from taking forks and shift assemblies apart.

Used to be one online parts retailer that listed the spring length. The most confusing thing I even did though was having the spring cup (collar) fall out so there was very little side to side resistance.

Quote:
Old 07-08-2015, 06:01 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by transzex View Post
That's not an L3 tranny though. I measured the spring out of an L3 I had on the bench awaiting to be cleaned.
I keep doing that, searching for one, still come up with the hydro....sorry if I lead any one astray.

Quote:
R.I.P. - NN4S
R.I.P. - Cali Noob

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in