Rebuild s20 tranny ,grinding noise - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Transmission alley

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2015, 01:59 AM   #1 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 13 hondanickx smells like Borathondanickx smells like Borathondanickx smells like Borathondanickx smells like Borathondanickx smells like Borathondanickx smells like Borat
iTrader Score: 12 reviews
Default Rebuild s20 tranny ,grinding noise

So i installed my rebuild S20 transmission yesterday .Took it out for a drive and it shifts great but it does make a grinding /tapping noise.

It's a s20 d16z6 tranny with
- Gear-X first gear
- OEM second gear
- 3th and 4th CRX ZC
- 5th Oem
- Oem 4.4 FD
- Mfactory LSD
- Torco MTF oil
- Carbon synchro's from synchrotech,new bearings and seals everywhere.
- Clutch masters Fx300 clutch and Bisimoto Flywheel.
- New oem throwout bearing,new release fork.
- s40 starter motor

When the car is parked in gear and i start the engine ,put it in neutral it sounds like there's a gear that grinds against the case every 1 or 2 seconds on idle.
Whenever i push in the clutch the sound goes away.
In neutral the sound tends to fade away slowly or sounds not as hard.

When i put car in first or reverse drive a few feet and put it back in neutral the sound is back and sounds harder again.

I think the sound is coming from the primary shaft ,but every bearing is brand new and the correct shims are in place . (Spring loaded and regular shim)

Does anyone have an idea what this could be?

Here's a video of the sound
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=em3E...ature=youtu.be

Last edited by hondanickx; 06-27-2015 at 03:44 AM.
hondanickx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2015, 02:42 AM   #2 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 s3v3n is learning the way of the Ds3v3n is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

TOB?
s3v3n is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2015, 03:43 AM   #3 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

Early batch of the GearX 1st?

Had to have an input shaft modified for proper clearance.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2015, 03:46 AM   #4 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 13 hondanickx smells like Borathondanickx smells like Borathondanickx smells like Borathondanickx smells like Borathondanickx smells like Borathondanickx smells like Borat

Quote:
Originally Posted by s3v3n View Post
TOB?
Brand new Oem .The grinding/tapping goes up with the rpm so i don't TOB has to do anything with that...?
Old 06-27-2015, 03:51 AM   #5 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by transzex View Post
Early batch of the GearX 1st?

Had to have an input shaft modified for proper clearance.

I bought the gear back in 2010 from Kiwi,i don't think it was a early batch. I also used the shim that was delivered with it and the different needle bearing case.The gear slided right on without any issues.
Also the sound is coming from the Primary shaft afaik .I don't think the secundary shaft rotates when the gear is in neutral ?Or does it?
The transmission was opened up and put back toghether by a honda dealership because i somehow put in the first/Second synchro sleeve upside down.Making the tranny shift in reverse in 1st gear and visa versa.
Maybe they forgot to put in the Springed shim on the primary shaft ?

Last edited by hondanickx; 06-27-2015 at 09:54 AM.
Old 06-27-2015, 11:00 PM   #6 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

I had issues with Hugo's GearX 1st gear build from YEARS ago, took a while to get it right after emails with Jeff/Kiwi and figuring it out on my own.

The teeth valleys on the GearX first weren't cut deep enough. The high points on the OEM mainshaft 1st gear would bottom out and create issues. I found a way to measure and fix it, one of the things I haven;t spoken about in detail here.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
Old 06-28-2015, 01:22 AM   #7 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Well It does Whine a little in first gear ,but in second gear you clearly hear it grind/rattle again.I also asked Jeff back then if they where the early batch and he said they weren't.
I think that was on the OCO forum.
I'll inspect the startermotor today if that doesn't give any results then i'm forced to get the tranny out for the 3th time and check that first gear.

Last edited by hondanickx; 06-28-2015 at 01:28 AM.
Old 06-28-2015, 12:13 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-series soldier

So i took out the tranny today and opened it up .The brand new torco oil that only ran for about 80miles was dark and sparkly .The magnet drain plug also containt metal shavings as wel as de magnet inside the tranny.I can't however see any wear on any of the parts .And i can't see anything that is wrong .
The only thing that wasn't good was the bearing from the countershaft that was a little up.I didn't staked that enough and put it back in place.

First gear ,can't see anything wrong here either...?

Anybody have an idea? Could the final drive gear be upside down?I thought the radiused side needs to be on the lsd flange side.

Last edited by hondanickx; 06-28-2015 at 12:15 PM.
Old 06-28-2015, 12:30 PM   #9 (permalink)
Classic Man

Rep Power: 59 FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

Is the clutch pressure plate hitting the shifter interlock guide bolt?

Been there....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Ford
Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.
FarmerD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2015, 01:01 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerD View Post
Is the clutch pressure plate hitting the shifter interlock guide bolt?

Been there....

Nope also checked the clutch pressure plate.
The paint on the pressure plate hasn't been touched and the interlock bolt has no signs of wear.

The only thing i can think off is the first gear might be a early batch or hasn't been grinded properly like Bone said before .But i can't see any signs of it rubbing against the mainshaft.

The 1/2nd synchro sleeve teeth do come close to the reverse gear on the mainshaft.

@ Mista Bone is their any way to see if that first gear hasn't been grinded deep enough?

Last edited by hondanickx; 06-28-2015 at 01:04 PM.
Old 06-30-2015, 05:47 AM   #11 (permalink)
D-series soldier

After inspecting the Gear-X first gear meshing in the oem mainshaft gear it seemed the Gear-X gear was very tight against the oem mainshaft.I didn't noticed any rubbing .I replaced the Gear-X first with a oem first and instantly noticed the difference in clearance and also turning the mainshaft around went really easy.I also installed a MFactory 1/2nd gear spring ,but i also removed that cause i didn't noticed any benefits from getting it into gears.

I just reinstalled the gearbox and started the engine on jackstands and put the tranny into gear.Seems like the noice is gone !!
Afterwords i went for a drive around the block and all seems to be fine ,shifts well ,no weird noices.
I do still hear a a very light whine from the tranny .Could that be the Mfactory LSD?As i'm not using any aftermarket gears ,only a new Oem 4th gear and a oem 4.4 fd.

Anyway as Always thanks mister tranny guru

Last edited by hondanickx; 06-30-2015 at 11:40 AM.
Old 07-04-2015, 06:45 AM   #12 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

hotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussie
iTrader Score: 30 reviews

Thats not good news. Im planning on using the GearX first gear as well. Any word on how to modify the shaft/gear for proper clearance? Or where it has been spoken about lol

Quote:
Take it from somebody who has actually done it more then once and not read about it on the internet......
hotrodj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2015, 07:45 AM   #13 (permalink)
Classic Man

Rep Power: 59 FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

The LSD shouldnt whine. Usually a whine is from improper clearances
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Ford
Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.
FarmerD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2015, 05:26 PM   #14 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodj View Post
Thats not good news. Im planning on using the GearX first gear as well. Any word on how to modify the shaft/gear for proper clearance? Or where it has been spoken about lol
You grind on the mainshaft, I might have posted about it on here.

Quote:
Old 07-05-2015, 09:51 PM   #15 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 6 Kevinio smells like BoratKevinio smells like BoratKevinio smells like BoratKevinio smells like BoratKevinio smells like Borat

I also had that problem. I've send the gear to Jeff and he sended me a new one. He told me the problem is in the OEM main shaft. Honda has produced 2 tolerances of main shafts.
Kevinio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2015, 01:13 AM   #16 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinio View Post
I also had that problem. I've send the gear to Jeff and he sended me a new one. He told me the problem is in the OEM main shaft. Honda has produced 2 tolerances of main shafts.
I disagree with that, esp. after chatting with Jeff.

It was on Hugo's transmission and I had his 1st gear for a year long time, like years. On Fred's setup, the first gear wasn't an issue, no mods to OEM mainshaft.

I used an ISB inner race to judge how much reduce the gear teeth on Hugo's old mainshaft as it had pitting damage. Once I was happy with the mockup I sent a good mainshaft off to be ground properly, then I had to file/debur each tooth by hand.

I bet I had 10 hours of time (or more) figuring out that puzzle.

Pics were on FB, but I deleted a bunch of albums. I'll see if I have it backed up as I don't remember which ISB (small or large) ISB inner race I used.

However, when spinning the shafts, by hand, without the outer case installed you would have noticed the noise right away. Little things like that bug me...and I make sure it is right before it ships.

Quote:
Old 07-06-2015, 07:16 AM   #17 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

Rep Power: 50 slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to slo_eg8

and that's why I trust bone with my transmission build. attention to detail ftw
koni yellow/gc coils
uber rare eg6 optional snowflakes

new 95 ej1.
slo_eg8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2015, 12:59 PM   #18 (permalink)
D-series soldier

I don't know how i didn't noticed it before but this was my first transmission build .An experienced ear would hear that right away.
I still have a light 'whine' when riding.I hope this isn't the ISB bearing or the countershaft bearing ,since they're both new but they might be damaged by the Gear-X first gear.I've checked both bearings before assembling everything and they seemed fine to me .(No play no rattling.)
I am however using a new 4th gear on the mainshaft and a used one on the counter shaft.
The old one had it's synchro teeth worn and i found a new oem gear very cheap .(rover)Maybe that creates the 'light' whine ?
I really don't like to get the transmission off the car for the 4th time and replace the bearings again.

The good part of this all is that the car drives wayy better then before.So much more fun to drive ,and more traction with the LSD .

Last edited by hondanickx; 07-07-2015 at 01:04 PM.
Old 07-07-2015, 11:44 PM   #19 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 6 Kevinio smells like BoratKevinio smells like BoratKevinio smells like BoratKevinio smells like BoratKevinio smells like Borat

Quote:
Originally Posted by transzex View Post
However, when spinning the shafts, by hand, without the outer case installed you would have noticed the noise right away. Little things like that bug me...and I make sure it is right before it ships.
Hmm interesting.. I had two transmissions where you didn't notice anything without the outer case (everything rotated completly free), but when completely assembled you hardly could turn the mainshaft because of the Gear X first gear.

I'm very interested in your pictures.
Kevinio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2015, 09:24 AM   #20 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

I have videos as well to judge the sounds....rainy day outside, guess I have a project now.

Quote:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in