2000 Civic with syncrotech trans clunk in 3rd - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Transmission alley

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2015, 05:27 AM   #1 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 7 dj_justice is obviously a regulardj_justice is obviously a regulardj_justice is obviously a regulardj_justice is obviously a regulardj_justice is obviously a regulardj_justice is obviously a regulardj_justice is obviously a regulardj_justice is obviously a regular
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Default 2000 Civic with syncrotech trans clunk in 3rd

Posting this for my buddy who keeps having trans issues. His original trans started grinding into 3rd about a year ago. He got a rebuilt trans from syncrotech and that trans was grinding too. Sent that back, got a replacement from syncrotech and all was good for the past year. Now its starting to grind/clunk again going from 2nd to third shifting normally. His motor is stock and he drives pretty normally most of the time. The rebuilt trans has 30k on it.

We replaced the fluid but that didnt fix the issue. This ordeal has turned him off from hondas which I think is unfortunate. My civic was boosted for a year and I never had transmission problems with how hard I abused it. What could we check next? I was thinking engine mounts?
dj_justice is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2015, 06:00 AM   #2 (permalink)
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11

Rep Power: 28 shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....
shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to shoebox_civic

torque mounts or shifter bushings.
90 Skyline GT-R - HKS Drager exhaust, RSR downpipe, metal wheel turbos
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
shoebox_civic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2015, 08:11 AM   #3 (permalink)

Rep Power: 27 Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!
Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 27 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Aquafina

The fluid needs to be changed every 7k.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rocket Motorsports, MFactory, Torco, Action Clutch, HASport, Synchrotech, OS Giken, Gear-X, Wavetrac, Quaife
Official MFactory North American Installer

Aquafina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2015, 12:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 7 dj_justice is obviously a regulardj_justice is obviously a regulardj_justice is obviously a regulardj_justice is obviously a regulardj_justice is obviously a regulardj_justice is obviously a regulardj_justice is obviously a regulardj_justice is obviously a regular
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquafina View Post
The fluid needs to be changed every 7k.
According to the owners manual, its every 30k
dj_justice is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2015, 02:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

Rep Power: 50 slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to slo_eg8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj_justice View Post
Posting this for my buddy who keeps having trans issues. His original trans started grinding into 3rd about a year ago. He got a rebuilt trans from syncrotech and that trans was grinding too. Sent that back, got a replacement from syncrotech and all was good for the past year. Now its starting to grind/clunk again going from 2nd to third shifting normally. His motor is stock and he drives pretty normally most of the time. The rebuilt trans has 30k on it.

We replaced the fluid but that didnt fix the issue. This ordeal has turned him off from hondas which I think is unfortunate. My civic was boosted for a year and I never had transmission problems with how hard I abused it. What could we check next? I was thinking engine mounts?
since aqua is also a trans builder, maybe there is more to it than what OEM. maybe they've found fluid changed to be beneficial?
koni yellow/gc coils
uber rare eg6 optional snowflakes

new 95 ej1.
slo_eg8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2015, 05:26 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 11 uptownsamcv is a name known to alluptownsamcv is a name known to alluptownsamcv is a name known to alluptownsamcv is a name known to alluptownsamcv is a name known to alluptownsamcv is a name known to alluptownsamcv is a name known to alluptownsamcv is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

i could have sworn i read every 10,000 somwhere cause these tranny's use thin oil....
uptownsamcv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2015, 05:27 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 11 uptownsamcv is a name known to alluptownsamcv is a name known to alluptownsamcv is a name known to alluptownsamcv is a name known to alluptownsamcv is a name known to alluptownsamcv is a name known to alluptownsamcv is a name known to alluptownsamcv is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

i could have sworn i read every other oil change to change the oil in the tranny...
uptownsamcv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2015, 07:12 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

At a bare minimum you should be changing the tranny fluid once a year.

2-3 times a year would be satisfactory on a stock car driven from point A to point B.
Double that if you drive pretty hard.

Transmission rebuilder or not, 7k is far too often for a street driven car with no fancy parts inside. Just feels like you would be spending more money on transmission fluid than an engine rebuild every year.

MY opinions. Opinions. MINE.

2003 Hyundai Sonata GLS 2.7 Delta 197k

1998 Cadillac Seville SLS just broke 100k
2001 civic LX coupe MTX 199k
Sometimes, the difficult path is the easiest path
D/B/F/H/K compression questions?

Build what you have!

mattliston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2015, 07:19 PM   #9 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

On my daily change it like every 50k miles. On my turbo daily I change every other oil change just because I use the same oil as the engine in my tranny

As long as you have oil in the tranny you are pretty much good to go for a long time, Id stick to oem suggestion
Old 06-15-2015, 08:55 AM   #10 (permalink)

Rep Power: 27 Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!
Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!

Transmissions have no filter and no cooler. The trans fluid gets hotter than the engine oil. Transmissions are constantly shedding metal into the fluid.

I've tested nearly every fluid available and had it all analyzed, as well as varying mileage intervals analyzed. 7k is when it needs to be changed on a daily driver.

If you use the best motor oil option (which is also the cheapest, Supertech 10w-30) instead of a good fluid like Torco MTF, you're only spending about $5 every 7k miles. If you use Torco MTF and only order it two liters at a time, that comes to a whopping $0.0049/mile. A transmission rebuild cost about the same as an engine rebuild, and if you have a pre-96 transmission, many of the parts you need for said rebuild are no longer available.

Rocket Motorsports, MFactory, Torco, Action Clutch, HASport, Synchrotech, OS Giken, Gear-X, Wavetrac, Quaife

Last edited by Aquafina; 06-15-2015 at 08:59 AM.
Old 06-15-2015, 10:10 AM   #11 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Makes some sense. I personally use a mix of oem fluid (yes even with its updates and thinner spec) and mobile 5000. Has changed a badly whining tranny into a very quiet one a few times for me.

I personally will not be recommending 7k intervals, but ONLY because I have personally experienced 200k mile transmissions that shifted perfect in every way that the seller stated only had its fluid changed MAYBE only every 2-3 years. and unknown of course about whoever initially bought new the car the tranny came out of.

Considering I am so heavy on the at least once a year change, I think I will be fine.

Again, all this is just my opinion.

Build what you have!

Old 06-15-2015, 10:40 AM   #12 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

JoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 5 reviews

Ive seen people with 200-300k cars that didn't even know the tranny took fluid. Not saying its a good idea, but it happens.

Last time I tried to have someone change my tranny fluid like 12 years ago I asked to have it done at a lube shop and they thought I was crazy. They were like you have a MANUAL, you don't change fluid in a manual, only in an automatic.

So its easy to see how people get confused.
Old 06-15-2015, 11:36 AM   #13 (permalink)

Take one of those 200k or even 100k transmissions that has never had a change and take it apart. You'll change your mind.

Old 06-15-2015, 11:47 AM   #14 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

Mileage/Usage dependent.

One SCCA customer replaced his fluid every other race weekend, $15 in Penn. Synchromesh while changing the engine oil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2015, 12:25 PM   #15 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

bmw says their fluid is good forever lol
Old 06-15-2015, 12:30 PM   #16 (permalink)

Far from it. They get to charge a premium to repair or replace transmissions and rear ends when they fail out of warranty.

Old 06-15-2015, 01:27 PM   #17 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquafina View Post
Take one of those 200k or even 100k transmissions that has never had a change and take it apart. You'll change your mind.
After hearing about you recommending 7k fluid changes, I would be scared to lol. Ive simply been very choosey and buying transmissions who had some sort of record of fluid changes.

I changed the tranny fluid in my '13 honda fit at 15k miles or so (bought with 1 mile on clock). Fluid was already pretty nasty. I decided it was due to being new and "break-in".

Seeing as I took that car to the dragstrip every friday they were open for nearly 2 years, I changed the fluid again at 35k miles or so, and fluid quality in appearance was not great. Had consistency proper to my knowledge, but coloring was pretty dark and it was smelly.

My wallet controls my ignorance level at times.

BUT

If I got a rebuilt tranny from you or bone,, your recommendations would be followed to the T. That much, I will admit.

yeah, Im jacked on on some of my preferences lol. Im foolish at times, I know.

The weird thing is, when Im in the market for transmissions, I avoid any who have had their fluid changed very recently, as its usually an owner trying to cover up something. BUT Im super picky, and will even let a potentially awesome deal get thrown away if no records or some sort of believable story.

Build what you have!

Old 06-15-2015, 01:57 PM   #18 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

It is $4, the price of a kids meal, for two quarts of plain old oil....

Note: I haven't bought any oil in 4 years, was paying $10 for 5 liter jugs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2015, 11:22 AM   #19 (permalink)
D-series G0D

BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 78 reviews

I still think it's more motor mount-related than fluid. When I purchased my first Honda and started having the exact same issue, I DIY poly-filled my motor mounts and that fixed it right up.

Also check out the shifter bushing.
BLK92_D16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2015, 11:27 AM   #20 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Napa has shifter bushing for around $10 if memory serves me well

Build what you have!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in