Clearance mainshaft and LSD - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Transmission alley

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2015, 12:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 13 hondanickx smells like Borathondanickx smells like Borathondanickx smells like Borathondanickx smells like Borathondanickx smells like Borathondanickx smells like Borat
iTrader Score: 12 reviews
Default Clearance mainshaft and LSD

I'm currently rebuilding my s20 transmission and i was checking the clearance on the mainshaft.The ISB bearing actually sits 2mm in the case and the Mainshaft itself is Zero with the case.Is that normal ?( I installed the synchro hubs, spacer , bearing ,and the shim on top of the mainshaft)
Shim thickness was 1.05mm so that's correct.I actually tought the mainshaft was always a little below the case ?

When i checked the clearance of the MF LSD it was a little on the loose side.
0.15mm or 0.006" .Oem Shim was 1.45mm so i either take 1.50mm or 1.55mm or leave it like it is.The manual says 0.004" max.Bone says 0.005"
Why is it better to have a little more clearance for example 0.005" instead of the oem recomended 0- 0.004" ?
hondanickx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2015, 07:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

diff is fine, I prefer .004-.008, most MF installs have been at .003-.006" range keeping stock shim.

I never trusted mainshaft shimming per what you did. Either get the right tool like Aquafina has or measure the case gap with complete MS assembly installed including both washers. I aim for .008-.010" gap.

I keep .003, .004, .005, and .006" feeler gauges on the bench, double them for checking case gap.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2015, 03:06 AM   #3 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 13 hondanickx smells like Borathondanickx smells like Borathondanickx smells like Borathondanickx smells like Borathondanickx smells like Borathondanickx smells like Borat

Ok great ,thanks Bone!Any reasons why you prefer a bigger Diff clearance then oem ?

Old 05-11-2015, 10:28 AM   #4 (permalink)
D-series G0D

BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 78 reviews

I went with a .004 shim clearance with my Quaife LSD. Never had any issues.
BLK92_D16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2015, 12:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 16 TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!
TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondanickx View Post
Ok great ,thanks Bone!Any reasons why you prefer a bigger Diff clearance then oem ?
Different goals for the assembly.

One gets hotter than the other.
TheToaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2015, 11:32 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheToaster View Post
Different goals for the assembly.

One gets hotter than the other.

Ok i got it!I'm leaving the clearance as is then.
Old 05-13-2015, 08:28 AM   #7 (permalink)

Rep Power: 27 Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!
Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 27 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Aquafina

Check the MS clearance with the OEM tools.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rocket Motorsports, MFactory, Torco, Action Clutch, HASport, Synchrotech, OS Giken, Gear-X, Wavetrac, Quaife
Official MFactory North American Installer

Aquafina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2015, 12:36 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-series soldier

I assembled the mainshaft and secundary shaft today ,and installed them into the case.I was wondering if this kind of miss alignment of the gears is normal?
I know there's is a slight miss alignment because of the springed shim on the mainshaft ,but my 2nd and 3rth gear look to be off more.

I'm using a S40 oem 4.4 FD , CRX ZC 3rd and 4th ,Gear-X 3.083 first into a
s20 case.The rest of the gears are Oem d16Z6 gears (EDM).New bearings and synchro's everywhere.

Old 05-26-2015, 10:27 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 6 Kevinio smells like BoratKevinio smells like BoratKevinio smells like BoratKevinio smells like BoratKevinio smells like Borat
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

When the snap ring snaps in the case the countershaft will be a couple of millimeter higher Nick. By the way, the teeth of the 3rd gear to synchonize look horrible.
Kevinio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2015, 10:47 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinio View Post
When the snap ring snaps in the case the countershaft will be a couple of millimeter higher Nick. By the way, the teeth of the 3rd gear to synchonize look horrible.

I know 3rd gear has some synchro teeth with a lot of wear on them ,but the overal condition is ok.(Not great)Finding a better one with these old transmissions out of beaten up crx's isn't easy.
4th Gear is brand new Rover part btw
4th and 5th look to be off a few mm but my 3rd and 2nd gear looks like its off 3-4mm.

Last edited by hondanickx; 05-26-2015 at 10:51 PM.
Old 05-26-2015, 11:19 PM   #11 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 0 colelmt is worse than Satan's assholecolelmt is worse than Satan's assholecolelmt is worse than Satan's asshole
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to colelmt

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondanickx View Post
I assembled the mainshaft and secundary shaft today ,and installed them into the case.I was wondering if this kind of miss alignment of the gears is normal?
I know there's is a slight miss alignment because of the springed shim on the mainshaft ,but my 2nd and 3rth gear look to be off more.

I had a similar issue... took out the shafts and tapped the ISB in the rest of the way. I documented it below in my trans thread;post#70.

D16Z6

EJ255

Last edited by colelmt; 05-26-2015 at 11:30 PM.
colelmt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2015, 09:30 AM   #12 (permalink)
D-series soldier

I'll give it a try ,just going to close the case and see if it shifts .
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in