Honda D Series Forum banner

mainshaft holder

957 views 13 replies 3 participants last post by  Trench_Rat 
#1 ·
Is there some alternative to a mainshaft holder to crack the countershaft nut? i have been to every tool shop and auto shop around and no body has a main shaft holder is there some other way to hold the shafts still to un-do the nut?

G
#4 ·
get some wood blocks and place/clamp them around the counter shaft in the vice then you'll be able to get the nut off woth a breaker bar, you have to use a soft wood so you dont mees up the teeth on the gears. trust me it will work, thats how i did mine, and it worked wonders.

#12 ·
lol no no this is a jdm dohc zc tranny , sorry if im being a pain but ive never done tranny work before. The haynes manual says to remove 5th gear and asociated synchro and selectore fork and then slide the trans case off the shafts so that they are left sitting in the flywheel housing.

#13 ·
throw that POS Haynes in the fucking garbage!!!!!!!!!

It is giving you directions for a 84-87 Civ/Teg tranny.......

Remove shift interlock bolt (8mm hex/allen head) in clutch housing side (always tight as a mofo, use a impact!)
Remove the countershaft lock ring access plug.....3/8" square drive.....DO NOT use a impact when reinstalling it!!!!!

http://www.bettendorf.com/~mrbone/pictures/Tranny-General/oops.jpg

remove reverse switch, then all the bolts holding the case on, 17? I never counted. Open the countershaft lock ring....the countershaft might drop......you'll need these

http://www.bettendorf.com/~mrbone/pictures/Tranny-General/cm-45492-3.jpg

Now the fun part, prying the cases apart. 92+ have prying points, 88-91 don't! So you have to find the spots that allow a hammer and punch to assist in breaking the seal. Do not pry on the seal surfaces!!!!

Once cases are 1/8" apart open the countershaft lock ring as it usuallys reseats......countershaft should drop.......once the ring is clear of the bearing pull the outer housing off.........

Simple eh?

Now, why are you opening the case to begin with?

#14 ·
thank you for that , its difficult using an american manual for a jdm car. Im pulling it apart because i want to peice together a hybrid box using the doch zc l3 and a zxi integra l3 , im going to put the 3rd and 4th from the zc into the integra box hopefully my kaaz lsd from the zc box will fit in the integra case becasue i want the 4.2 final drive

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.