Differential failure? - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Transmission alley

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2005, 03:18 PM   #1 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

makku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussie
iTrader Score: 11 reviews
Send a message via AIM to makku Send a message via MSN to makku Send a message via Yahoo to makku
Default Differential failure?

So I was reading this thread:
https://www.d-series.org/forums/showthread.php?t=23786

and the guy pretty much described what I'm experiencing right now.

1. the driver's side axle has maybe like 5mm of room from being flush with the transmission casing.

2. occasionally, I'll get a loud knock coming from the engine bay when I'm driving. Commonly, this happens when I accelerate from a stop or do a hard brake.

3. it does NOT make a grinding noise when I drive however.

Could this be a result of one of my differential pins being broken? If so, can I fix it by replacing the pin or do I need to replace the whole differential? I have a z6 transmission, but I have a spare DX differential.... can anything be swapped between the two to make it work?

If not, maybe I ought to find a cheap OBX LSD and use that instead... it's a shame because I won't be keeping my car past a year. What should I do?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
forecast for tomorrow... a few sprinkles of genius with a chance for DOOM!
Quote:
But I thought you said TV was bad?
It is... but we fucking need it.
makku is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2005, 03:21 PM   #2 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

92+ don't have the weak pin, you'll explode the spider gears first.

The knock is likely your motor mounts, I'll guess the rear one.

Been running my ES inserts for so long, I forgot about that knocking noise.

Cheap fix, buy the ES inserts for $35, only use the rear set, sell the rest

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2005, 03:23 PM   #3 (permalink)

makku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussie
Send a message via AIM to makku Send a message via MSN to makku Send a message via Yahoo to makku

nice to know! thanks, I'll look into the rear mount inserts...

as for the axle having a little room from the transmission, is this normal? I tried taking it out and putting it back in the other day, but it won't go flush with the casing like on the other side.

Quote:
Quote:

Old 07-13-2005, 08:11 PM   #4 (permalink)
Premium Member

Rep Power: 41 Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 15 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Bizzar Send a message via MSN to Bizzar Send a message via Yahoo to Bizzar

Yes thats normal. at least it is on mine. Both stock and gator axles fit this way in a stock diff and a quaife. I questioned it years ago but have never had a problem. Are sure your wheel is on tight for the knocking noise?

Bizzar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2005, 08:23 PM   #5 (permalink)

you know... now that I remember it, the transmission that I bought off ebay for $70 that had a broken shifter fork and fucked ISB ALSO had a problem with one of the rear mount holes being slightly stripped. When I got it, it had a broken off bolt in it and I took it to a machine shop to get it out. The machinist later told me that it's not in great shape but it will hold a bolt at least....

Maybe that's part of the problem. I wonder if I can fill the hole with some kind of compound and screw that bolt in... without making it permanently bolted in... Maybe just a ton of locktite will do the job.

Yeah, the wheels are on tight... I think i've taken them off like 5 times in the past 2 weeks, and I'm pretty sure I've got them on there pretty good. I might try the 3M window treatment on my rear mount instead of the ES inserts...

Quote:
Quote:
Old 07-13-2005, 10:13 PM   #6 (permalink)
Premium Member

Rep Power: 41 Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Send a message via AIM to Bizzar Send a message via MSN to Bizzar Send a message via Yahoo to Bizzar

Why 3M cost more? The inserts are 11 bucks for the rear and both lower sides.

Old 07-14-2005, 03:04 PM   #7 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

$35........for the ES inserts

Quote:
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
Old 07-14-2005, 03:13 PM   #8 (permalink)

ok, ok, you've convinced me

cheap fix... and if not a fix, then at least some improvement

Quote:
Quote:
Old 07-14-2005, 03:32 PM   #9 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

exactly

Just note you have to remove the intake brace to get the rear mount out. It will take some wiggling, but it will come out.

Quote:
Old 07-14-2005, 03:33 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 16 chops_JDM D15B will become famous soon enoughchops_JDM D15B will become famous soon enoughchops_JDM D15B will become famous soon enough
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

i have the same problem... it happens over bumps as well... sounds suspiciously like something is loose (i.e. one or more of the engine mounts)...
my tranny also pops out of 2nd when there is no load on the engine, and occasionally out of 3rd and 5th... i know the front drivers side mount is shot, but im wondering about the hydrolic one as well... i work for NAPA, so i can get a decent price on all the mounts, but that hydro one is still gonna cost me like $300 CDN... i have no problem replacing all the others, but is there a way to check the hydro one?

Quote:
VTEC CAMS NO GOOD INSIDE USDM D15 HEAD IS NOT JDM TO DO
chops_JDM D15B is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2005, 08:09 PM   #11 (permalink)
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by transzex
exactly

Just note you have to remove the intake brace to get the rear mount out. It will take some wiggling, but it will come out.
Intake brace wth is that? Ohhhh yeaaahhh thats the part I tossed away 90k miles ago. I remember it now :P

Old 07-21-2010, 01:51 AM   #12 (permalink)
n00b

i having the same noise actually. during accel and decel. i thot of the cv joints at first but got it checked and twas still good.. cud the diff be the prob? i had this motor stock. and its a d16a jdm. can u pls help a noob? tnx
PS: gonna work on the rear mounts soon to see if theres a prob with it and hope to find the noise there not on the diff. xD tnx masters..
wickedD16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2010, 09:14 AM   #13 (permalink)
D-series G0D

BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 78 reviews

Could be your ISB (input shaft bearing).

BTW, thanks for searching before just creating a whole new thread for something that is covered once a day it seems like.
BLK92_D16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2010, 03:23 PM   #14 (permalink)
n00b

bump! thanx! lol i just had to ask... haha. ill take note of that
Quote:
thanks for searching before just creating a whole new thread for something that is covered once a day it seems like.
thanks anyhow! xD
wickedD16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in