Why are d-sereis trannys so weak? - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Transmission alley

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2005, 07:07 AM   #1 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 15 sohc-gT  is slowly gaining respectsohc-gT  is slowly gaining respectsohc-gT  is slowly gaining respectsohc-gT  is slowly gaining respectsohc-gT  is slowly gaining respect
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Default Why are d-sereis trannys so weak?

i only been to the track twice and now i have a failing diff. my b-series tranny can take some serious abuse. btw does anybody have an d16 tranny for sale in the tristate area?
sohc-gT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2005, 07:48 AM   #2 (permalink)
Cool User Title Here

Location: 7.5 hours north of Modshxcivic, 6.5 hours north of Rexinre's house (he says only 5 hours) (MAINE)
Rep Power: 24 Honda4VW is hot as a volcanoHonda4VW is hot as a volcano
Honda4VW is hot as a volcanoHonda4VW is hot as a volcanoHonda4VW is hot as a volcanoHonda4VW is hot as a volcanoHonda4VW is hot as a volcanoHonda4VW is hot as a volcanoHonda4VW is hot as a volcanoHonda4VW is hot as a volcanoHonda4VW is hot as a volcanoHonda4VW is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 9 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Honda4VW Send a message via MSN to Honda4VW Send a message via Yahoo to Honda4VW

D-series tranny should be just as strong as B, maybe it was coincidence???

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Honda4VW is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2005, 08:57 AM   #3 (permalink)
Premium Member

Rep Power: 41 Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 15 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Bizzar Send a message via MSN to Bizzar Send a message via Yahoo to Bizzar

The tranny is strong yes. The diff no! Why is it though its simple. Our cars are ECONOMY cars not made for abuse. Well so is a B-series right? Now take in consideration hp vs wheel spin. the more grip you have the harder it is on the diff. Less hp (D-series) will naturaly have more grip.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Bizzar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2005, 02:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

which tristate area????

how you know you have a "failing diff"????

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2005, 03:01 PM   #5 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 2 reviews

drag or autox? should be fine for autox but drag really rips on your diff...especially with slicks. If it is the diff, at least now you have an excuse to buy an lsd.
eg6motion is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2005, 06:27 PM   #6 (permalink)
quicktegb??a

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2005, 06:30 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series lover

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

i'm not really familiar with B-series, but generally on a D-series engine, the advantages are in the form of the weight of the motor and tranny which, (im guessing) is about 65% - 75% less than a B-series. i'm pretty sure that a D-series engine is built as tough as a B-series, but one of the disadvantages of D-series is not their weak transmission, but their weak transmission gearings.

your best bet is to lighten up the motor's rotational parts, to allow for quicker reving. keep in mind that most D-series engine doesn't make any power past 7400 RPMs and that reving past 8000 RPMs is NOT recommended on a d-series head without internal mods such as retainers, valve springs, etc...

but like Bizzar said, our D-series cars were designed for economy driving, not for extreme racing and abuse.
sxng9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2005, 07:54 AM   #8 (permalink)
Cool User Title Here

Location: 7.5 hours north of Modshxcivic, 6.5 hours north of Rexinre's house (he says only 5 hours) (MAINE)
Honda4VW is hot as a volcanoHonda4VW is hot as a volcanoHonda4VW is hot as a volcanoHonda4VW is hot as a volcanoHonda4VW is hot as a volcanoHonda4VW is hot as a volcanoHonda4VW is hot as a volcanoHonda4VW is hot as a volcanoHonda4VW is hot as a volcanoHonda4VW is hot as a volcano
Send a message via AIM to Honda4VW Send a message via MSN to Honda4VW Send a message via Yahoo to Honda4VW

Quote:
Originally Posted by sxng9
i'm not really familiar with B-series, but generally on a D-series engine, the advantages are in the form of the weight of the motor and tranny which, (im guessing) is about 65% - 75% less than a B-series.
Wow, that would make a d-series engine like 50 lbs...I WISH!

Try more like 5010% less in weight, if that

And that old heavy ass H22 myth, that should be tossed aside too. Maybe 15-20% more than a d-if that

Old 07-13-2005, 08:54 AM   #9 (permalink)
D-series wise guy

Rep Power: 17 kommon_sense is da #1 stunnakommon_sense is da #1 stunnakommon_sense is da #1 stunnakommon_sense is da #1 stunnakommon_sense is da #1 stunnakommon_sense is da #1 stunnakommon_sense is da #1 stunna
iTrader Score: 12 reviews
Send a message via AIM to kommon_sense Send a message via Yahoo to kommon_sense

http://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=684550

|
|
kommon_sense is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2005, 08:58 AM   #10 (permalink)
Cool User Title Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by kommon_sense
Thats the post I leanred from

SO H22's make a civic so front end heavy, why???

Old 07-13-2005, 01:12 PM   #11 (permalink)
ABTsportsline

not to be the ants at the picnic, but what exactly is "the tri-state area"???

i live in texas, and one could make a case that TX, OK, and LA are a "tri-state-area".... i also think that NV, CA, and OR are considered "tri-state".... for that matter FL, GA, and AL are technically also a "tri-state"

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2005, 01:28 PM   #12 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 zrowcool smells like Boratzrowcool smells like Boratzrowcool smells like Boratzrowcool smells like Boratzrowcool smells like Borat

lol tri-state here means ny, nj, ct
zrowcool is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2005, 11:38 AM   #13 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 15 sohc-gT  is slowly gaining respectsohc-gT  is slowly gaining respectsohc-gT  is slowly gaining respectsohc-gT  is slowly gaining respectsohc-gT  is slowly gaining respect
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABTsportsline
not to be the ants at the picnic, but what exactly is "the tri-state area"???

i live in texas, and one could make a case that TX, OK, and LA are a "tri-state-area".... i also think that NV, CA, and OR are considered "tri-state".... for that matter FL, GA, and AL are technically also a "tri-state"

your defintaly not from around here, but yeh i mean ny,nj,pa,ct etc. i just picked up a y8 tranny with 50k miles for $150 i'm throw that in my car tomorrow. but yeh, i have friends and know of a people that modded there d-series civics and gets these weird transmission problems, such as input shaft bearing knocking, diffs breaking, 40k mile trannys that start grinding etc. my integra had 180k miles original engine and trans and doesnt grind. but being an econo car honda had to cut cost somwhere where right.. i'm going to rebuild this z6 tranny with a obx lsd. this y8 tranny will be up for sale soon if anybody wants it

Last edited by sohc-gT; 07-14-2005 at 11:40 AM.
sohc-gT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2005, 03:01 PM   #14 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

noobs working on trannys = bad issues.

ISB are wear items, replace them!!!!!!!!! Most forget to put the shim and thrust washers back on.

40k mile trannys start grinding = dumbass drivers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2005, 04:57 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sxng9
. i'm pretty sure that a D-series engine is built as tough as a B-series, but one of the disadvantages of D-series is not their weak transmission, but their weak transmission gearings.

but like Bizzar said, our D-series cars were designed for economy driving, not for extreme racing and abuse.
The D-series are great for racing and abuse....trust me I know. 10 years of HARD racing- I've only destroyed/broken one (Z6) & it was super used/high mileage at that time & had never been rebuilt...hind-sight says it shouldn't have been raced on before a rebuild, we already knew it was too old.

I have no complaints over the d-series trannies- actually they are stouter/tougher in many ways from the b-series.

If you need a better diff- send the stock one to OPM autosports they'll refurbish it & improve it (make it a clutch type lsd- for street or racing).
I have yet to manage (8 years) to break an opm lsd (which is so amazing if you know my "driving style." Normally I can break anything & everything. I have 2 of these, 1 per tranny- and have only had to have 1 "refreshed" over the course of time.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by transzex
noobs working on trannys = bad issues.

ISB are wear items, replace them!!!!!!!!! Most forget to put the shim and thrust washers back on.

40k mile trannys start grinding = dumbass drivers.
transex ^ (the tranny guru) gave the most probable explanation for the problem (no offense)

Last edited by lyonel13h4; 07-19-2005 at 05:11 AM.
lyonel13h4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in